ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anyone shot a Yildiz Prostar?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:17 am 
Crown Grade

Fourth Down,
I wouldn’t venture a never ending peeing contest over which is “best”. However, at this point, I think one can certainly offer a strong “as good as” argument for the ProStar. In my estimation, wood finish is the weak point of the ProStar. The factory reportedly applies 3 coats of oil with a week’s drying time between each coat. It doesn’t appear those coats are rubbed in, but sprayed and allowed to dry. All I’ve seen will benefit from a few evenings wet sanding. Then the wood quality of the Yildiz really shines. So, wood finish of most guns would probably have an edge on the ProStar. After wet sanding my stock and building the finish, I can’t believe what a pretty piece of wood it is, literally a $1500-$2,000 upgrade on some guns. I like tinkering, so the time spent upgrading the oil finish wasn’t a big deal for me.

As far as wood fit goes, the ProStars are machine cut and have the same tolerances most all companies have now in a word, excellent.

Metal finish and tolerances seem to be quite in line with other brands. About everyone is using machining centers and producing parts to the same tolerances. The ProStar barrels don’t have a highly polished finish, but I quite like it. Any difference in finish is more a preference than a quality issue. Internally, the ProStar is fully chromed and they shoot clean. Choke tube tolerances are quite close and the tubes and threads stay surprisingly clean. Barrel striking, boring, tolerances etc, are excellent and comparable to the other quality products on the market. The price of a second set of barrels is a rather pleasant surprise at $1500. German and Italian labor costs are much, much higher than Turkey and the price of the Prostar reflects, IMHO, the difference in production cost, rather than any lesser quality.

You can’t get me to say a bad word about Zoli. They are really, really well made guns. At the same time, I don’t feel I’m shooting a lesser quality gun in the ProStar. What I do find with the ProStar are some differences in stock design that really work well for me. I did do some stock modification on the ProStar, reducing lop, putting on a Kickeez pad and thinning the comb, but I’ve done that on Zoli stocks as well. And I did add three ounces to the ProStar. It is now the best feeling gun I think I’ve ever owned. I’ve added weight to other brands of guns, but the results didn’t get me to the happy spot I’m in now.

I tried a Kolar for a bit, but was quite happy to find someone who wanted it more than me. No issues with the quality, just couldn’t get warm and fuzzy with it. I’ve shot a bunch of different Zolis, again with no quality issues. I’ve just not been able to get one really right. Then comes the ProStar for thousands less than the others. It feels just right, with the only significant difference in my mind being the wood finish quality previously mentioned. And it has a piece of wood that is as appealing as the wood on a used Zoli Ambassador I picked up a few years back. A friend went through a string of P guns. I have a couple design issues with P guns and never considered them worth the money. If I could only keep one shotgun, it would be the ProStar. It has a happy combination of features that work well for me. I get a beautiful gun and can’t see any quality issues coming that would make me regret my decision. Because of those features, if the ProStar sold for Zoli prices, I would still lean to the ProStar. But, in a crowded market full of good guns, the ProStar stands out because you can get so much for such a reasonable price.

If you are into engraved guns, John sent a game scene engraved gun to do some pictures. The scroll work is absolutely gorgeous. The birds look like real birds instead of the Chernobyl chickens seen on some guns. Coverage is as complete as on about any gun. And it’s all hand done. It looks better than I expected, given some Turkish engraving I’ve seen in the past. While I’m not an engraving connoisseur, this is pretty stuff, at a price many could find a way to get to. At $6300 retail and real world around $5800, it stands out from the guns near the same price and compares quite well with guns costing a lot more...except for the wood finish.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dave Holmes wrote:
Fourth Down,
I wouldn’t venture a never ending peeing contest over which is “best”. However, at this point, I think one can certainly offer a strong “as good as” argument for the ProStar. In my estimation, wood finish is the weak point of the ProStar. The factory reportedly applies 3 coats of oil with a week’s drying time between each coat. It doesn’t appear those coats are rubbed in, but sprayed and allowed to dry. All I’ve seen will benefit from a few evenings wet sanding. Then the wood quality of the Yildiz really shines. So, wood finish of most guns would probably have an edge on the ProStar. After wet sanding my stock and building the finish, I can’t believe what a pretty piece of wood it is, literally a $1500-$2,000 upgrade on some guns. I like tinkering, so the time spent upgrading the oil finish wasn’t a big deal for me.

As far as wood fit goes, the ProStars are machine cut and have the same tolerances most all companies have now in a word, excellent.

Metal finish and tolerances seem to be quite in line with other brands. About everyone is using machining centers and producing parts to the same tolerances. The ProStar barrels don’t have a highly polished finish, but I quite like it. Any difference in finish is more a preference than a quality issue. Internally, the ProStar is fully chromed and they shoot clean. Choke tube tolerances are quite close and the tubes and threads stay surprisingly clean. Barrel striking, boring, tolerances etc, are excellent and comparable to the other quality products on the market. The price of a second set of barrels is a rather pleasant surprise at $1500. German and Italian labor costs are much, much higher than Turkey and the price of the Prostar reflects, IMHO, the difference in production cost, rather than any lesser quality.

You can’t get me to say a bad word about Zoli. They are really, really well made guns. At the same time, I don’t feel I’m shooting a lesser quality gun in the ProStar. What I do find with the ProStar are some differences in stock design that really work well for me. I did do some stock modification on the ProStar, reducing lop, putting on a Kickeez pad and thinning the comb, but I’ve done that on Zoli stocks as well. And I did add three ounces to the ProStar. It is now the best feeling gun I think I’ve ever owned. I’ve added weight to other brands of guns, but the results didn’t get me to the happy spot I’m in now.

I tried a Kolar for a bit, but was quite happy to find someone who wanted it more than me. No issues with the quality, just couldn’t get warm and fuzzy with it. I’ve shot a bunch of different Zolis, again with no quality issues. I’ve just not been able to get one really right. Then comes the ProStar for thousands less than the others. It feels just right, with the only significant difference in my mind being the wood finish quality previously mentioned. And it has a piece of wood that is as appealing as the wood on a used Zoli Ambassador I picked up a few years back. A friend went through a string of P guns. I have a couple design issues with P guns and never considered them worth the money. If I could only keep one shotgun, it would be the ProStar. It has a happy combination of features that work well for me. I get a beautiful gun and can’t see any quality issues coming that would make me regret my decision. Because of those features, if the ProStar sold for Zoli prices, I would still lean to the ProStar. But, in a crowded market full of good guns, the ProStar stands out because you can get so much for such a reasonable price.

If you are into engraved guns, John sent a game scene engraved gun to do some pictures. The scroll work is absolutely gorgeous. The birds look like real birds instead of the Chernobyl chickens seen on some guns. Coverage is as complete as on about any gun. And it’s all hand done. It looks better than I expected, given some Turkish engraving I’ve seen in the past. While I’m not an engraving connoisseur, this is pretty stuff, at a price many could find a way to get to. At $6300 retail and real world around $5800, it stands out from the guns near the same price and compares quite well with guns costing a lot more...except for the wood finish.

Have you patterned it? Does it have good barrel regulation?
If the Turks want to win over the hearts and minds of American O/U buyers
this is the type of gun they need to do it with.
After all, that's what the Japanese did with their high quality Superposed clones.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes mine pattern perfect. I have ran all the chokes and have not found a poi difference. I am trying to talk my son into the Prostar. He has a long length of pull 17.75 inches. One phone call to John and he found us a stock at that length of pull. Now to convince my son it’s the way to go for bunker skeet and sporting clays. We will see

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

hoytshooter wrote:
He has a long length of pull 17.75 inches.

Is he like 8' tall?

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

Dave Holmes wrote:

<snip>
A friend went through a string of P guns. I have a couple design issues with P guns and never considered them worth the money. If I could only keep one shotgun, it would be the ProStar. It has a happy combination of features that work well for me. I get a beautiful gun and can’t see any quality issues coming that would make me regret my decision.
<snip>

What design issues did you have with Perazzis that you didn't have with the Prostar? I'm curious because the Prostar appears to be almost an exact copy of a Perazzi MX12.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:48 pm 
Crown Grade

MPolans,
The thing I detested on the P guns and any other stock that does the same was the straight cut on the adjustable congress through the comb nose. If one sets it over, and I’ve not had hold of one yet I didn’t have to move, the nose digs into the base of the thumb. I also couldn’t figure out why they used mismatched wood for the comb on a gun that sells for what the P guns sell for. Perazzi used to and may still do, I haven’t been “in” one for awhile, used a rounded face on the recoil bearing surface of the post between the upper and lower tangs, which would allow the action to set into the recoil bearing flat of the stocks resulting in stocks cracking. I couldn’t believe one gun I shot was allowed to leave the factory the trigger was so incredibly bad. I just couldn’t see those issues on a gun as expensive as the P gun. Then there’s the rib detachment issue and the seeming failure to address the issue of broken mainsprings. Kemen shared most of those issues as well.

ProStar makes the comb cut behind the comb nose. The recoil bearing surface of the post is flat, which should help tremendously with the cracked stock problem. The barrels/ribs of the ProStar are silver soldered- should never be a loose rib. Perazzi did bring out the coil spring MX 12 that addresses the main spring issue. ProStar wisely went that route and avoided the detachable trigger group whose width made for awfully thin stock ears. ProStar has quite reasonably weighted barrels with choke tubes. No need to send them off for thin walls. Perazzi barrels with factory choke tubes seem awfully heavy. I guess they work for some, but they’re way beyond what I can handle. Then there’s the quality of the wood that comes standard, although giving credit where it’s due, it seems some American dealers have leaned on Perazzi to start putting some nicer wood on the guns.

One can argue that the value of the P guns is the customization from the factory. I read that some do indeed get exactly what they order, but the friends I’ve had order custom guns weren’t all so lucky. I’ve never been quite able to justify the risk vs. value there. Your mileage may vary and I wouldn’t argue with anyone who said they were happy as a pig in a puddle. I watched a video recently of the custom gun, factory experience. While the gun shot to the right spot, the shooter was rolling his head horribly to get over the comb, his wrist was cramped up on the grip, the lop looked short. I would be really disappointed with a fitting that produced those results. An acquaintance here, but an Italian native ordered his gun from Perazzi in Italy. The pupil of his eye was solidly on the inside corner of the rib, an 1/8 to 3/16’s short of where it should have been. So, for me, it comes down to cost versus value. I don’t see it.

The ProStar offers all the features of the Perazzi action with a couple metal work tweaks that are worthwhile IMHO. It is a nicely balanced gun, good trigger, and exceptional wood, at a price that even poor white trash like me can scratch up. The value vs cost ratio in the gun seems quite good. Easy on the eyes and the wallet with good performance so far, works very well for me. The chink in the ProStar armor is the quality of the wood finish, but it’s oil and pores can be easily filled with some oil and wet sanding. I don’t have a problem with that since I love to tinker anyway. You might feel differently about that situation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well that was a strong comeback on Perazzi flaws.
I have heard of the ribs coming loose and or falling off
and have heard complaints about the comb. I have a friend who won't
consider a Perazzi because of the comb. I won't mention what he says it looks
like he see's when he shoulders a Perazzi with one of those
front extended combs up to his face.
Still though if Perazzi's were not great guns then no one would clone them.
I just wish this Yildiz Pro model offered a mid or high rib.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:46 am 
Tournament Grade

Not quite skeet man. He has long arms and a long neck. He tried Zack Kinnebaums Dt 11 and it is just over 16 lop and he agreed that more stock was needed. He has the beretta fever so looks like we will be going to Coles for a Dt at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:23 am 
Crown Grade

Dave Holmes wrote:
Fourth Down,

Thanks Dave, good report, and that was what I was inquiring about. It's great to hear on the barrel regulation, that was my biggest concern.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Got a couple punches this weekend for winning my class.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:39 pm 
Crown Grade

hoytshooter wrote:
Got a couple punches this weekend for winning my class.

Way to go!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Two more punches at the Oh state sporting clays shoot. One for sub gauge FITASC 28 ga. Briley ultra lite tubes were awesome. Took 2nd in 20 ga FITASC with the 28 tubes in my class B. Then 7th for my class in the main event.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:07 pm 
Limited Edition

I've handled a couple of Prostars now, but have yet to shoot one. I love Perazzi, so I'm fascinated by this clone. Like most others here, I'd probably be a buyer at a lower price point. Guess I'm just biased on the pricing because it is Turkish. The big factor for me is durability and it will be a long while before that is ascertained on the Yildiz. I bought my Perazzi Grand America 1 Combo for a little less than 4k with a documented 500k+ rounds through it. It was coming open when fired. One inexpensive trip to Giacomo and it was good as new and has been for an additional 100k. If I live long enough to see numbers like this on the Prostar, I'll be a believer.