CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: yildiz in 28 gauge
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Am i the only one that would love a yildiz in 28 gauge? I finally saw an gun test by Shootinguk.co on the web and it said they just added (article was written in Sept.2010) the 28 gauge to their lineup. I am excited and hope that the 28 o/u is coming to Academy soon just like the sxs and the .410 o/u. Any body else heard any more on the addition of the 28 to the lineup.

Post subject: Re: yildiz in 28 gauge
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:04 pm 
Limited Edition

its in the system just not made it into the stores yet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:42 am 
Limited Edition

mpbrassell wrote:
Am i the only one that would love a yildiz in 28 gauge? I finally saw an gun test by Shootinguk.co on the web and it said they just added (article was written in Sept.2010) the 28 gauge to their lineup. I am excited and hope that the 28 o/u is coming to Academy soon just like the sxs and the .410 o/u. Any body else heard any more on the addition of the 28 to the lineup.

mpbrassell,

No sir, you're not the only one wanting a 28 ga yildiz..... in fact, I had Briley build me some full lenght custom tubes in 28 ga for my little 20 ga special..... and I must say its a dream to shoot, can only think of want the true 28 ga would be like......
I hope it does make it to the states, because I will be putting one in my gun safe also!

rickyi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:45 pm 
Utility Grade

I just picked up one of the new Yildiz 28 gauge O/U from Academy this afternoon. Needless to say, I have been waiting for them to come out for some time after buying one of their .20's five years ago. First impressions of the gun are as I would have expected them to be; craftsmanship is good for the price paid for the gun ($429 + tax), and the quality of the wood is surprisingly good given its relatively low entry point. I have become obsessed with .28's over the last couple of years but could not justify the expense of the 'premium' brands without having had any experience with them. I am sure I will not be disappointed with this, however, and will soon begin reloading as off the shelf rounds are fairly limited and there are some nice recipes out there.

As for availability, it is limited to say the least. I called Academy's corporate offices last week and asked them to notify me as to when they would become available in my area. They called this afternoon and I took a 'break' from the office to head right down. What I have been told is that they will become commonly available some time in the mid-May timeframe, so if you are looking to compare several based on the quality of the wood, you may want to wait. I was pleased with mine, so no complaints. Now if I can just get the folks at Trulock to make some chokes for it, I will be in business. WOn't have a chance to fire it until Friday afternoon, but very much looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hey KBrown, welcome to the Y-gun forum {hs# {hs# when you shoot the gun Friday come back and let us know how she shoots.

cdb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

welcome kbrown, i too would love to know how the 28ga does for ya

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:54 am 
Limited Edition

Congrats and Welcome KBrown. You will love the 28. I picked mine up about a month ago; photo's are posted in another thread on page 2. I have just put 50 rounds thru it so far; and yes it is a pleasure to shoot.

Looking forward to your impression and some photos.

Where are you located if you dont mind saying?

Later Bill

How bout them HOGS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The 28ga. O/U is a fine gun. You will really like it. I am glad they are going to become more available. I was fortunate enough to get one a couple of weeks ago.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

:)W KB and Welcome to the Y Family {hs#

I'm also glad to hear the 28's will be more readily available soon :D

I almost got one a few Months ago, but backed out due to the mediocre wood on the only one they had :(

Anyway, take care, and please post some pic's and provide a range report on your new 28 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:16 pm 
Field Grade

Congrats on the 28. Can't wait to hear the report.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:44 pm 
Utility Grade

A few of you have provided words of encouragement surrounding the decision to try my hand at the 28 gauge, which is very much appreciated. Others have asked that I provide my thoughts on the handling of of the Yildiz model after having had a chance to shoot it on the range following my recent purchase. All of that said, here we go.

The gun performed as I expected it to first time out of the box, which is to say that the ground broke more targets than I did, but that was not unexpected as I have fired larger bore shotguns my entire life and the characteristics of a small bore gun are very different. That is simply a matter of shooting; and shooting a lot, which I intend to do leading up to dove season this Fall.

As far as the gun itself, it worked beautifully. It swings and handles very easily, and despite the very light weight of the gun, recoil is minimal, which means that I should be able to fire all day without the gun wearing my shoulder out (shot Winchester AA #9's). I have shot the Yildiz 20 gauge for years, and the guns feel identical in terms length of pull, contour of the stock and forearm, and trigger pull. I am confident that I will be able to adapt very quickly the 28 and am looking forward to a couple more trips to the range in the next week and regular shooting from here on out.

A word about Yildiz shotguns to those that have not used them in the past, or have been somewhat scared to make the 'investment' because of the poor reputation of many budget-priced double barrel shotguns. Over the course of several years, I have fired my 20 gauge relentlessly with every type of field load imagineable. Never have I had a misfire, a problem with the gun feeling loose, or instability anywhere within its structure. I have hunted with friends that have paid 3X- 4X for their guns that I have for a Yildiz and have had catastrophic failures in terms of blown barrels, etc. There is certainly a place for 'premium' priced guns based on their beauty and handling. I am a person that simply wants a gun that is reliable and does what it is intended to do without breaking the bank or having a meltdown when they get knocked around. The Yildiz is a tremendous gun that meets that specific need. Hopefully Yildiz and Academy never get too wise as to what they have in their product, as the three I currently own will hopefully not be my last.

Thanks for listening and happy shooting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

Great report KB, Thanks :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:56 am 
Limited Edition

Outstand report KBrown. Just curious as what chokes you were using and what firing order you choose. My Yguns are the 1st O/U's I have owned; I have tried a couple of different configurations of choke placement and have tried shooting the lower barrel 1st. I will just have to get used to one firing order and stay that way.

Thanks again for the report and input.

Bill

How bout them HOGS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:42 pm 
Utility Grade

I have had my yildiz 28 since mid December and as of 3/20/11 i have 1775 rounds thru it with flawless performance. i have shot a best in Scrap of 21 out of 25. For those of you who aren't familiar with the game of Scrap it is shot from the skeet 27 yard circle but the birds come out of the trap house. It is quite challenging and at my home club only a handful of guys have ever shot a 25 out of 25 in the history of the club (20+ years). And all of those were with a 12 gauge.
I have also shot skeet and sporting clays with it with good results (near identical to the scores i shoot with my 12 gauge). I absolutely love the 28. This is my second Yildiz, i also have a 12ga spz special with 9700 rounds thru it that i have owned for about 3 years.
I have several friends that have purchased Yildiz shotguns after seeing and believeing the reliability and performance of mine. I love my Yildizs.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Your indorsement is good for the record. A lot of us are finding out that you can have a good looking double that shoots well without spend 2k + :D :D

Tks for sharing your Yildiz experience here.

reed

obama's gonna go to hell!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm a lefty who has owned both 12 and 20-gauge Yildiz O/U 28"-barrel shotguns. Both have worked great for me. But I noticed that the Academy website says that the 28 gauge version is "right-handed", when the 12 and 20 are listed ambidextrous. I'd like to ask anyone who now owns the 28 gauge, is there anything about this gun which makes is a problem for a lefty like myself? I'm already used to the breach release being for righties. That is no big deal. I just want to make sure that stock is symmetrical and does not present a problem in fit when the gun is mounted on the left shoulder. Any thoughts? Thanks!

R

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have 12ga, 2oga and 28ga and they appear to be all made in the same manner. The size and weight vary but the proportions seem the same to this right hander. I think it will work fine for a lefty.
The 28 is really nice for casual or informal shooting and for folks new to clay shooting. I think you will find the Y 28 a great value. I wish they would import a 28 SxS.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you for your quick response, Timbermart. Very helpful. I'd also love a 28 SxS. I have held a CZ SxS in a 28 gauge and I really liked the feel. Scroll down toward the bottom of this webpage and you might see a version that you like: http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/shotguns/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am very happy that the Yildiz shotguns haven't let me down since my opinion and maint/sales of them over a year ago. Wish I could have found a way to make a business out of working them but Academy and Yildiz worked up their contracts real well!!!!!

obama's gonna go to hell!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rob, thanks for the link.
They are tempting.