Shotgun Forum banner

why do B gun owners hate yildiz

14K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  Y-Hound 
#1 ·
the wife and I were at the skeet and trap range the other day shooting skeet and 5stand, neither are excellent shots but just love to go out and shoot, we got through with skeet and I wanted to shoot a round of trap, she was through shooting but was willing to stay a little longer for me to shoot another round, went to the fields and all were taken but one field only had one older gentleman shooting and he ask if I wanted to shoot with him, I told him i would wait be he was more than nice asking me to shoot with him. i said yes and took my wifes 20 gauge yildiz with a cut stock and about 8k rounds and went to shoot, didn't want to shoot my auto for the fact of being nice didn't want to eject shells on him. first question he ask was what kind of gun was i shooting and i told him and his first response was that's not a good gun. well i beat him and his beretta 5000k dollar gun by 3 shots, 22 to 19. i thanked him for letting me shoot with him, smiled and left. the 3 misses had absolutely nothing to do with the gun, but with the shooter just pisses me off that they think you have to have that kinda gun to shoot.

#2 ·
I think you're painting with a mighty wide brush there feller. If one dog barks at you I guess you will hate all dogs forever more.

#5 ·
My guess is that the old man's misses had nothing to do with the gun that he was shooting either. Further, I would surmise that had the old man broke all 25, we likely would never have heard a word about the incident.

The fact is that the final score had absolutely nothing to do with what made you mad (his comment that your gun was not a good one), but his comment gave you an excuse to brag about beating an old man. I guarantee there are lots of old men with expensive guns who could have run all 25 without breaking a sweat.

#6 ·
I have been shooting trap at my local club for a little over three year years now. In all that time, I have yet to overhear one disparaging remark about the type of gun that anyone has chosen to bring to the line and shoot. Somehow I find it hard to believe that my club is the rare exception in all the trapshooting clubs out there; rather I expect, it's more the rule that nobody really cares what anyone else shoots as long as they're safe and having a good time.

I hope it didn't sound like too much of a rant on my part y'all.

#7 ·
A lot of "old men", like myself, have got to the point in life that whatever comes up comes out. And a lot of us "old men" were taught to respect other people's feelings also. I suspect if I had been that
"Old man", I probably wouldn't have said it were you could have heard me, but I damn sure would have said it under my breath, base on my experience with Yildiz. Nothing more to be said !

DC

#9 ·
To be politically incorrect, It's not the arrow, it's the Indian. Meaning that skill has much more to do with the end product than does the tools being used.

I'm sure I could use the most expensive gun out there and any number of people using a beat-up old Mossberg pump would be able to clean my clock.

There would be nothing to brag about in beating me!

#10 ·
OldSkeeter said:
I wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard that old story; only the model of the guns involved changes. Usually, the story features a Perazzi or Kreighoff and a pump-gunner who runs the full 25. Guess this was a sub-plot.
+1
The other side of the coin is...
When shooting Trap with a Youngster and his 870, you run em and he doesn't, he says "Well if I could afford that nice gun, I'd run em too!"

#11 ·
As a Browning owner, I don't think I have ever criticized someone else's gun.

I have shot with people who have brought guns that barely function during the round. I first offer to let them use either a spare gun or share my gun (if skeet).

If that doesn't work I will offer any advise I have that might help the gun work better- different shells, cleaning, etc.

If that doesn't work, I may engage, depending on attitude, them in a discussion about alternative guns.

#12 ·
We Own the Yildiz PL or a-65 the fancy semi, and the 12 gauge o/u ME
The Pl is at Brileys for warranty work I gave the 12 gauge O/u to my brother it was so light it hurt to shoot
My main gun and all I shoot is a Super Sport, my son shoots an A-400 my daughter shoots the Y2K 20, we are so very happy
The Yildiz A-65 got my kid a C class state championship in Sporting Clays but it just wore out, replaced it with the A-400 we should hear back from Brileys very soon it's been about 8 weeks I will let you know what they do with the warranty on the Yildiz.

#13 ·
xsshooter said:
As a Browning owner, I don't think I have ever criticized someone else's gun.

I have shot with people who have brought guns that barely function during the round. I first offer to let them use either a spare gun or share my gun (if skeet).

If that doesn't work I will offer any advise I have that might help the gun work better- different shells, cleaning, etc.

If that doesn't work, I may engage, depending on attitude, them in a discussion about alternative guns.
But Jim, that would make such a boring story. How is helping a fellow shooter clean his gun going to inflate your ego? I see a lot of "Jim's" at my gun club. Thanks.

#15 ·
Unlike some of you here, I have personally experienced the arrogance and disdain of expensive gun owners when I showed up with a "Y" gun. I believe it stems from a sense of elitism or something similar.

I had a Browning shooter tell me the "Y" guns were no good because the firing pins broke at around 1,000 rounds. At the time I had just over 10K rounds through my SPZ-ME12, with zero issues. I just smiled and told him that I was pretty satisfied with the gun and really liked the way it shot.

On another occasion, at the same club BTW, a fellow shooting a Benelli auto made some disparaging remarks about "cheap" guns and how they looked good, but just wouldn't hold up. I don't know if he was talking about my "Y" gun or not, but he kept glancing over my way, like he wanted to see me react.

It may be that some folks just like being snide or it may be that they are embarrassed that they spent so much money on their guns and folks with "cheap" guns seem to do as well as they on the range.

I've tried to convince a few people that I have not "settled" for a "Y" gun, but that I actually like the way the gun fits me and shoots. I'm not sure I was successful. But all I can say to anyone who questions why I shoot the "Y" guns is that they shoot good for me. And as far as the economics of the guns go, I can buy 5 $400 Yildez O/U, shoot each of them until they wear out, and still have money left from what it would cost to buy a "B" gun new. And the "Y" guns light weight make them a real pleasure to carry into the field on a dove hunting trip!

So the OP is not the only one who has experienced some negative comments at the range.

#16 ·
bprater said:
Unlike some of you here, I have personally experienced the arrogance and disdain of expensive gun owners when I showed up with a "Y" gun. I believe it stems from a sense of elitism or something similar.

I had a Browning shooter tell me the "Y" guns were no good because the firing pins broke at around 1,000 rounds. At the time I had just over 10K rounds through my SPZ-ME12, with zero issues. I just smiled and told him that I was pretty satisfied with the gun and really liked the way it shot.

On another occasion, at the same club BTW, a fellow shooting a Benelli auto made some disparaging remarks about "cheap" guns and how they looked good, but just wouldn't hold up. I don't know if he was talking about my "Y" gun or not, but he kept glancing over my way, like he wanted to see me react.

It may be that some folks just like being snide or it may be that they are embarrassed that they spent so much money on their guns and folks with "cheap" guns seem to do as well as they on the range.

I've tried to convince a few people that I have not "settled" for a "Y" gun, but that I actually like the way the gun fits me and shoots. I'm not sure I was successful. But all I can say to anyone who questions why I shoot the "Y" guns is that they shoot good for me. And as far as the economics of the guns go, I can buy 5 $400 Yildez O/U, shoot each of them until they wear out, and still have money left from what it would cost to buy a "B" gun new. And the "Y" guns light weight make them a real pleasure to carry into the field on a dove hunting trip!

So the OP is not the only one who has experienced some negative comments at the range.
I think you're paranoid. I don't think B gun owners hate Yildiz, they just don't think they are a good investment. Just because someone says that inexpensive Turkish guns generally don't hold up is not necessarily a "snide" remark. The fact is, they don't hold up as well as B guns, K guns, P guns, CG guns. When a Clay shooter talks about a gun that holds up, they are generally talking about somewhere around 70k-100k rounds or more. For me 10k rounds is barely broken in.
Before I bought CGs, I had a Turkish gun that did not hold up. It broke firing pins and the rib came loose. Then again, I had a CG that broke a rib adjuster at about 40k rounds, but CG repaired it quickly and at no charge. Your mileage may vary.

#17 ·
Redcobra said:
bprater said:

I think you're paranoid. I don't think B gun owners hate Yildiz, they just don't think they are a good investment. Just because someone says that inexpensive Turkish guns generally don't hold up is not necessarily a "snide" remark. The fact is, they don't hold up as well as B guns, K guns, P guns, CG guns. When a Clay shooter talks about a gun that holds up, they are generally talking about somewhere around 70k-100k rounds or more. For me 10k rounds is barely broken in.
Before I bought CGs, I had a Turkish gun that did not hold up. It broke firing pins and the rib came loose. Then again, I had a CG that broke a rib adjuster at about 40k rounds, but CG repaired it quickly and at no charge. Your mileage may vary.
Red -
I don't think I'm paranoid. I simply think it's tacky for anyone to make disparaging remarks about anyone else's gun. I posted as I did to let the OP know that he was not the only one who had had similar remarks. Are you sure you are not being a little sensitive, perhaps having made similar remarks? Just a thought.

#18 ·
I have been in the shooting sports for 60 years and have NEVER heard anyone make a direct, disparaging remark about someone's gun. Certainly, I have heard general discussions regarding the relative merits of particular brands and types of guns, but not a direct comment that someone's gun is no good. For the most part, shooters tend to be supportive of one another rather than critical.

What I suspect is that a few folks with non-mainstream guns walk around with a chip on their shoulder, listening for what they perceive as negative comments. Could this actually be B/K/P envy?

If you go through life looking for problems and insults, you are pretty certain to find more than your share. Are those who do "paranoid?" IMHO, probably. YMMV

#19 ·
I learned many years ago playing golf that the name on the side or the "purty and Shiney " don't mean nothing, it's performance that counts.

There is a shooter at our training center, shooting Bunker Trap, that has a case hardened Gen 3 Perazzi MX8 that has been modified to accept Gen 4 Barrels. It has mismatched wood and is truly a Frakengun. He just earned a Junior USA Shooting Vest and a spot on a World Cup Team. He is 16.

He shows up with his gun in an old, beat up, fabric long gun case and carries his shells in a pillowcase. Then he steps up and shoots 95/100 on the Olympic Bunker.

I lost any kind of gun vanity I had years ago

#20 ·
OldSkeeter said:
I have been in the shooting sports for 60 years and have NEVER heard anyone make a direct, disparaging remark about someone's gun. Certainly, I have heard general discussions regarding the relative merits of particular brands and types of guns, but not a direct comment that someone's gun is no good. For the most part, shooters tend to be supportive of one another rather than critical.

What I suspect is that a few folks with non-mainstream guns walk around with a chip on their shoulder, listening for what they perceive as negative comments. Could this actually be B/K/P envy?

If you go through life looking for problems and insults, you are pretty certain to find more than your share. Are those who do "paranoid?" IMHO, probably. YMMV
+1

#21 ·
Red -
I don't think I'm paranoid. I simply think it's tacky for anyone to make disparaging remarks about anyone else's gun. I posted as I did to let the OP know that he was not the only one who had had similar remarks. Are you sure you are not being a little sensitive, perhaps having made similar remarks? Just a thought.
And why would I give a ****e about anyone else's gun. The only guns I care about are my own.

#22 ·
When a disparaging remark is made about one's inexpensive gun it goes more to the character of the person making the remark, than anything to do with the gun...period. It's unnecessary, uncouth, ill mannered and arrogant. If it ever happens to me when shooting my wife's Y-gun or to my wife in my presence, I will drop everything to give that individual a lessen in manners.

#23 ·
DragonNester said:
When a disparaging remark is made about one's inexpensive gun it goes more to the character of the person making the remark, than anything to do with the gun...period. It's unnecessary, uncouth, ill mannered and arrogant. If it ever happens to me when shooting my wife's Y-gun or to my wife in my presence, I will drop everything to give that individual a lessen in manners.
IF it were to ever happen, then I agree, a lesson in manners would be well overdue.

#24 ·
Part of the problem is that there are a lot of "cheap" Turkish made guns on the market that display fairly poor build quality and internal components, thus the poor reputation has tarnished most Turkish guns. Sadly, some Turkish firms build to order to hit certain price points the distributor they are selling to is looking for, and this compounds the problem. When I started looking for an inexpensive 28 ga. for my son it was tough, and only the Turkish made guns hit the price point I was searching for. I was down to Tristar, Hulu/CZ, and YIldiz. I did my homework and decided Yildiz had by far the best reputation for the money. Since I was unable to check one out myself I took the consensus and had a friend pick up the 28 O/U for $459 from Academy in Dallas. Since receiving it I have been extremely impressed, as have several others that we have shown it to, including our SC coach who is a Beretta dealer. The bottom line is as with most things you cannot tar an entire line of products due for a few poor examples.

Yildiz, in my mind is a bargain and could probably sell for much more money for what you get. Anyone that disparages a make most likely has no idea what they are talking about, unless they have owned one. Mostl likely buyers of high dollar guns, such as P, B, K or other, would never even look, let alone test out, a Yildiz or other Turkish guns so the ignorance is the culprit. I have some higher $$ guns, and yes they are built better in some respects, but the Y gun seems to get the job done regardless of what someone thinks about it. Can a Chevy get the same job done as a Mercedes, yep and for a lot less money.

#25 ·
I think that "part" of the reason that low cost O/U shotguns get such a bad rap is because most of the buyers of said guns are first time buyers of O/U shotguns. They don't know beans about typical problems or difficulties experienced with new O/U shotguns........ particularly the low budget guns that had little or no screening or inspection before being sent out the door.

Consequently, the first time an El Cheapo round sticks in the chamber or a wood chip or metal shaving jams up the trigger works, or the gun is very hard to open, they are convinced that the gun is a POS. They can't get rid of the gun fast enough and forever proclaim that the gun wouldn't make a decent boat anchor. I'm not saying that ALL criticism of the guns is unwarranted, just a LOT of it.

I really think that if a fairly knowledgeable buyer who was familiar with O/U's in general and who could and would take the time to do some of the finishing/smoothing work that wasn't done at the factory would buy the low budget O/U gun, it would likely serve him well for moderate usage. However, this is not the profile of the usual low budget O/U buyer, so there you have it. :mrgreen:

#26 ·
These gun snob threads are all so similar, including the redeeming head to head victory over the rude owners of expensive shotguns. This is a direct reflection of societal class warfare. The "have nots" are typically ready to attack the "haves" at a moments notice and stereotype them as elitist. Lumping all "B" gun owners as "Yildiz haters" is more contemptuous than the individual who supposedly made unsolicited disparaging remarks to the OP.

As far as the remarks from other posters regarding "teaching a lesson in manners," this is the last thing that needs to happen on a skeet or trap field. One hot-head attempting to teach manners to another hot-head with firearms involved is generally not conducive to good outcomes.

Thank goodness the OP included the obligatory "in your face!" victory over the evil "B" gun owner. I have to go as myself and fellow "B" gun owners are meeting to plot the demise of Yildiz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.