CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ejector Problems
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:07 am 
Utility Grade

I need to locate some kind of drawing or Schematic that shows the operation of the type of selective ejectors on a Yildiz.

I have an ongoing problem with one of my ejectors. It "ejects" even when that barrel has not been fired about 85-90% of the time. The other barrel works Ok and just raises the shell if it has not been fired.

I removed the ejectors from the barrels and cleaned/lubed them. Nothing seemed to be wrong there and both move freely so I think it is going to be something in the forend or receiver that is sticking or binding.

I just don't know enought about the operation of the system to make a guess as to where the problem lies so I need some reference material to start narrowing my search.

Any ideas where I can find a diagram or schematic?

Jim

Post subject: re: Ejector Problems
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:08 pm 
Field Grade

Wiggles,

I don't have my gun handy to look at, it's on the way to Briley for new firing pins, but I've had the butt stock off a number of times and even converted the ejectors to extractors for a while so I think I may be able to steer you toward where to look for the source of the problem.

When you drop the tumbler (hammer) on a barrel, a rod, which projects out of the lower edge of the receiver near the hinge pin, kicks out and flips the ejector scear in the forearm. Each ejector scear pivots on a pin through the side of the forearm. (As a side note, if you drive these pins out and remove the sears, the ejectors become extractors). I don't see how the rod that's attached to the tumbler can kick out if the tumbler doesn't drop (unless it's broken) so I'd look for something that might be pressing on the ejector scear (like stray crud). If my memory serves me correctly, the right tumbler fires the bottom barrel and so the bottom ejector scear trigger rod would be on the right.

If the top of the ejector scear tips away from the receiver, the ejector doesn't "pop" it just gently extracts. If the sear tips back toward the receiver (because it's stuck or the ejector trigger rod is projection from the receiver), the ejector catches on the scear, which compressed the ejector spring, until the curved part of the ejector slips over the top of the scear and "pops".

Again, if memory serves me, there is a tiny spring behind the ejector scear which is supposed to return it to the extractor position when the action is fully open. I would expect that either the spring is broken or completely gunked up with something. I'd spray some action cleaner in around the ejector scears and work them by hand to try and free them before I'd start driving pins out because springs this small tend to make the jump to hyperspace if you are not really careful.

I hope I haven't made the matter more confusing. Maybe this will help you at least diagnose the problem before you send it for service.

Post subject: Re: re: Ejector Problems
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:35 pm 
Utility Grade

ADesertAnarchist wrote:
Wiggles,

I don't have my gun handy to look at, it's on the way to Briley for new firing pins, but I've had the butt stock off a number of times and even converted the ejectors to extractors for a while so I think I may be able to steer you toward where to look for the source of the problem.

When you drop the tumbler (hammer) on a barrel, a rod, which projects out of the lower edge of the receiver near the hinge pin, kicks out and flips the ejector scear in the forearm. Each ejector scear pivots on a pin through the side of the forearm. (As a side note, if you drive these pins out and remove the sears, the ejectors become extractors). I don't see how the rod that's attached to the tumbler can kick out if the tumbler doesn't drop (unless it's broken) so I'd look for something that might be pressing on the ejector scear (like stray crud). If my memory serves me correctly, the right tumbler fires the bottom barrel and so the bottom ejector scear trigger rod would be on the right.

If the top of the ejector scear tips away from the receiver, the ejector doesn't "pop" it just gently extracts. If the sear tips back toward the receiver (because it's stuck or the ejector trigger rod is projection from the receiver), the ejector catches on the scear, which compressed the ejector spring, until the curved part of the ejector slips over the top of the scear and "pops".

Again, if memory serves me, there is a tiny spring behind the ejector scear which is supposed to return it to the extractor position when the action is fully open. I would expect that either the spring is broken or completely gunked up with something. I'd spray some action cleaner in around the ejector scears and work them by hand to try and free them before I'd start driving pins out because springs this small tend to make the jump to hyperspace if you are not really careful.

I hope I haven't made the matter more confusing. Maybe this will help you at least diagnose the problem before you send it for service.

Thank you very much for the info. I can sort of visualize how the extractors/ejectors work now.

It would seem from your explanation that if the small rod that projects out of the receiver to signal a barrel being fired is not stuck in an extended position the problem would almost have to be in the ejector sear.

Jim

Post subject: re: Ejector Problems
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:48 pm 
Field Grade

I believe that's correct. I could have it reversed, but I believe that the rods should be projecting if the chamber is to eject instead of extract.

The ejector rods don't move far. If you cock the gun then remove the forend without firing either chamber you can see how far the rods retract.

Also, you should be able to toggle the ejector scears back and forth by hand, which will tell you if one is hampered in its movement.

You've already checked the ejectors themselves so it has to be either the rods or the scears.

If the rods don't project and retract and both chambers will fire, then the tumblers (hammers) are dropping but the rods aren't moving, which could mean a broken/bent rod or that the rod has somehow come out of the tumbler. If my memory is correct, it looks like the rods just hook into the tumblers.