It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to sxs. Have a few questions.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

I recently purchased a gently used Parker Reproduction 20 ga. With 26" barrels, double triggers, pistol grip and splinter forearm. I did not know what the LOP was until it arrived. I assumed they all were the same and that I would be satisfied with whatever the "factory" LOP was. Between the time I sent my money and actually received the gun, I read several accounts of the LOP being too short for many. I guess I got lucky because mine is 14-1/2".
I really love this gun, but the splinter forearm is a little different and it's taking some getting used to. At this time, I prefer the feel of the forearm on my Browning BSS (beavertail).
Recently, I've located a 20 ga with a 14-7/8" LOP, which I think I would prefer to mine which is 14-1/2". It also has a splinter forearm. These guns are too expensive to purchase just so I can try different variations. I'm almost certain I will appreciate the longer stock. If I were to purchase this gun, later on do you think I could find someone willing to trade theirs with a beaver tail for mine with a splinter?
Alternatively, what are the chances of me finding a 20 ga with pistol grip, double triggers, beaver tail forearm and long LOP?

Post subject: Re: New to sxs. Have a few questions.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:59 am 
Tournament Grade

Give the gun that you already have a proper chance. Shoot it.
Try a spacer or pad, without altering the wood, if you need a longer length of pull.
The splinter forend should not be that hard to get used to, and sure is easier on the eye, in my opinion.
There is even a slight chance that you could find a beavertail forend as a replacement.
Buying another gun, not exactly to your specs, is an expensive step.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:38 am 
Tournament Grade

Good idea on the spacer/pad for the stock. Can you recommend a nice leather one? I have seen some leather ones that Velcro on the rt side. Heck, if I like it and end up hunting with it that might even protect the nice skeleton butt plate.
What brands / makers do you like?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:54 pm 
Limited Edition

As saskbooknut said, "shoot it". I use a Galco slip on pad http://www.galcogunleather.com/recoil-pad_8_292_1244.html. I can't believe they are now $80. Galazan https://www.connecticutshotgun.com/product/gamekeeper-slip-on-recoil-pad/ also makes a slip on pad that is very similar for $38. I use the Galco pad when I'm hunting. The pads will get scratched up.

The pads come in 3 sizes so you'll need to measure the butt. You probably want a medium, but measure to be sure.

Wear a glove when you shoot with the splinter foreend. It is easy to get use to shooting with a splinter.

Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:16 pm 
Crown Grade

As for the splinter - wear a golf glove or similar, OR buy one of these:
http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/_HAND100 ... egoryid=73

It will be very similar to using a beavertail

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Is there a good "source" for these Parker Reproductions or are they just "where you find them"?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Here's 83 of them for sale:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f ... cat_id=716

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Lol, I think I've scrutenized them all. No 20's or 28's with double triggers, beavertail forearm, pistol grip and long LOP.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Galco makes a very nice leather one that will make it feel like a beaver tail

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Pharmvet,

Supposedly the number of double trigger guns made is about the same as single trigger guns. However, as you can there are fewer double trigger guns for sale compared to single trigger guns. Usually, the double trigger guns have a longer LOP than single trigger guns. You'll look hard for a LOP of 14 3/4". Finding the used gun you want is part of the fun. You can also go to the PGCA forum [url][/url]to find a lot of information on the reproductions.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:05 am 
Diamond Grade

If you want to try changing the LOP I suggest you use a slip-on pad as thin as you can find. I had one that came with loose insert spacers for just this purpose (can't remember the brand).

In regards to the splinter forearm: I use a glove when shooting clays. A beavertail is pretty clunky on a SxS. But since yours is a repro, why not contact the manufacturer and have them make what you want?