Shotgun Forum banner

Looking for Alex Martin info.

16K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  fev 
#1 ·
I just saw a beautiful 20g Alex Martin at a show. The owner believes it was made in the 20's. He said it was made for the Enflish outfitter J.T. Lake. Does anyone have any info on the maker and an approximate value for a 95% gun.

#2 ·
I found some info on the Internet Gun Club, which is run by many English shotgun collectors and this is what was listed.

There are reports that the firm of Alexander Martin was established in 1778. There were three cutlers and / or gun makers named Alexander Martin, this date appears to refer to the grandfather of the man who made the name of Alexander Martin famous around the world.
Alexander (I) was a cutler and possibly also a gunmaker, a burgess and guild brother in Paisley, about 7 miles from the centre of Glasgow. In 1742 he was recorded as a journeyman with John Hyndman. He married Mary Telpher on 15 September 1773.

His son, Alexander (II), was born in 1791 in Paisley, and almost certainly worked for his father. He appears to have married in about 1814, and was later recorded living in Paisley with his wife (known only as W Martin, born in 1796), their elder son, Allen (b.1815) who does not appear to have entered into the gun trade, Alexander (III) (b.1816), and Elizabeth (b.1826).

Alexander (II) and Alexander (III) became hammermen, burgesses and guild brothers on 22 July 1835, aged 35 and 19 respectively, this must have been almost immediately after Alexander (I) died. They were admitted to the Incorporation on 28 August that year and both their "essays" were gun main springs.

It appears that Alexander (II) established his business in 1835 at 153 Trongate, Glasgow. He and Alexander (III) traded as gunmakers, fishing rod and tackle manufacturers. It also appears that they left Glasgow to return to Paisley in 1837. Alexander (II) was recorded in the 1841 census living at 28 Oakshaw Road, Paisley, but he was not recorded in any census after that date. Alexander (III) returned to Glasgow in 1837 to establish the famous firm Alexander Martin gunmaking firm at 179 Argyll Street. In 1842 he moved to 181 Argyll Street, and in 1844 to 18 Exchange Square. In 1848 the firm took additional premises next door at 20 Exchange Square (later re-named Royal Exchange Square).

In the 1851 census Alexander (III) lived at 96 North Hanover Street, Glasgow with his wife Isabella (b.1826 in Glasgow), no children were recorded.

In 1852 the firm's address was given as 20 Exchange Square, but they may also have occupied number 18.

In 1854 Alexander Martin described himself as a gunmaker and cast steel rifle barrel manufacturer.

In 1856 the firm moved to 28 Exchange Square, and in 1861 to 22 Exchange Square.

In the 1861 census Alexander was recorded living at 3 Rose Street, a gunmaker employing 5 men and one boy. Nobody else was living in the house.

In 1862 the firm was recorded at 20 Royal Exchange Square.

In 1863 he described himself as a gun and rifle maker.

Between 1886 and 1890 the firm's address was given as 22 Royal Exchange Square, but it would seem that they continued to occupy 20 Royal Exchange Square. Their address in about 1893 was 20 Royal Exchange Square.

In about 1897 the firm described themselves as gun makers and makers of pistols, sportsmen's implements, fishing rods and tackle, they were also taxidermists. it was in about 1897 that a branch was established at 128 Union Street, Aberdeen.

In about 1901 the firm's address in Glasgow was 20 & 22 Royal Exchange Square.

In 1902 the firm amalgamated with Alexander Henry & Co of 18 Frederick Street, Edinburgh; both firms continued trading under their own names from the same shops with the exception of the Edinburgh shop which moved to 22 Frederick Street and traded under both names.

In about 1934 a branch was opened under the name of Alex Martin at 2 Friars Street, Stirling, and in about 1938 their Aberdeen shop moved to 25 Bridge Street.

It is unlikely that the firm made any guns themselves after 1939, during the 1950s and early 1960s most of their guns were made by A A Brown & Sons of Birmingham.

In about 1950 the company were armourers to the Scottish Rifle Association and a small shop was opened at Bisley in Surrey, possibly in the Scottish Rifle Association's clubhouse. It was in about 1950 that the Stirling shop and the Edinburgh shop closed.

The firm was latterly run by Sandy Martin, but in 1965 it was sold to John Dickson & Son Ltd.

A number of historical items were put into the "Martin Collection" at the Glasgow museum.

In 1971 John Dickson moved the Aberdeen shop to 35 Belmont Street where it continued to trade as Alexander Martin until it closed in 1985. The Glasgow shop closed in 1988.

The firm made its name through success at target shooting. They made Lee-Metford and Lee-Enfield target rifles, breech-loading .256 calibre match rifles, and target rifle sights. The firm's trade mark was a thistle surrounded by two leaves.

They developed a lightweight "ribless" shotgun (three short sections of rib at the muzzle, centre and breech) but because of increased recoil due to the light weight, it did not prove popular.

The records of the firm date only from 1904, previous records have ben lost. Internet Gun Club has details of serial numbers and dates, further information is available from John Dickson & Son Ltd (Dickson & MacNaughton) at 21 Frederick Street, Edinburgh EH2 2NE; Tel: 0131 2254218.

I have a list of serial numbers and year produced from the Nigel Brown book on Birmingham gunmakers. Let me know and I can give you a year if it is in the book.

According to many of these books they were best known as riflemakers but made fine shotguns many which were produced by AA Brown & Sons and finshed by Martin.

Hope this helps.

Nick

#4 ·
I have a listing here for Alex Martin but the last Serial Number recorded is 7014 in 1961.
The first serial number recorded (in 1904) is 3084 so your 39620 is way out of that range.

My info was pulled from the original records which should still be in the possession of Dickson & MacNaughton in Edinburgh. This info probably refers to guns actually made by Martin and not those later guns made by A A Brown of Birmingham on their behalf. Website is dicksonandmacnaughton.com and an email to them should get you the required information.

#6 ·
FWIW, since there's been no mention of action type, nor grade, of Alex Martin gun:

From John Dickenson & Son -

ALEX MARTIN

Established in Paisley in 1837, this distinguished firm recently became incorporated with John Dickson.
Its most famous speciality was the ribless shotgun, and the regulation of .303 Lee Enfields and other rifles.

In 2000, a range of quality Italian made over and unders were commisioned under the Alex Martin Continental name, available in all calibres from .410 to 12 gauge; and in various grades from the Gold Name on the Colour Case Hardened Action, to the fantastic Game Scene engravings on the Top of the Range Guns.

#7 ·
I'm related to the Martin family by marriage. Alexander III migrated to Canada in the 1860's as a gunsmith. He married and moved a growing family around in burgeoning areas of British Columbia and Alberta doing his trade. Ultimately his family was too large, so he settled in Calgary, Alberta, where he owned and operated Alex Martin Sporting Good Limited. With most of his children grown his wife died in 1916. He remarried had several more children [totaling 14 I believe]. I believe once he was established in Calgary, he traveled between Scotland and Canada for his profession. He opened another shop north of Calgary in Edmonton. I'm not sure when he moved back as his shops were in Calgary into the 1920's, but he died in England in 1951. I don't know that any of his children took up an apprenticeship as a gunsmith, but two were professional hockey players in the early NHL. One of his daughters, Marjorie, married a migrated Englishman named William Oliver who was one of Canada's foremost early photographers. Not much information about his weapons, but more about his personal life!

#9 ·
This is not shotgun related but it is A Martin related so:

I am the lucky winner of this beauty:

It is a "A Martin Travelling pistol" according to the seller. It is .45 a Caliber 4 3/8 inch octagon barrel, Approximately 9 3/4 inches long overall.

As you can see here it was manufactured in Paisley:

Can anybody help me date this wonderful Gentlemens weapon?

Gary in Agassiz BC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.