Shotgun Forum banner

Sterlingworth stock dimensions: early vs Utica guns?

9K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Pine Creek/Dave 
#1 ·
So I'm looking at maybe buying my first sxs, likely a Fox Sterlingworth, but had some questions about stock dimensions. I see where many of the earlier Philly guns had 2 3/4 to 3" of drop at heel. I have trouble shooting guns over 2 1/2" of drop.

My main question is whether the later Utica guns had more modern dimensions? Any idea when stock dimensions started to resemble more modern measurements?

Thanks
Jed

#2 ·
To Phily or Utica, That Is The Question - As with all American doubles earlier the Ansley H. Fox gun the better the workmanship, and quality of wood grade for grade. I have seen some pretty lame very late Utica Fox-Sterlingworths. I haven't observed that much of a decline in the quality of the graded Ansley H. Fox guns built by Savage. They seem to remain pretty much the same as the late 1920s Philadelphia built guns, except for the uglier profile of some of the top-levers, and the bulkier forearm wood, which some like and some don't.

The older guns often have more drop at heel than most people like today. The standard drop-at-heel for Philadelphia vintage Sterlingworths was 3-inches for 26-inch (Brush) and 28-inch (Field) barreled guns, and 2 3/4 - inch for 30-inch (Standard) and 32-inch (Trap). Names in () how factory referred to various barrel length Sterlingworths. Stock dimensions were to order on graded guns so anything is possible. I have a 1914 A-grade 12-gauge straight-grip that came from the factory with 2 1/4 inch drop-at-heel. A friend has an AE-grade 20-gauge with 3 1/2 - inch drop-at-heel! All the Savage vintage catalogues list 2 3/4 inch drop-at-heel as standard for all barrel length Sterlingworths. Later guns also tend to have their barrels a little less finely struck and hence weigh a bit more. While the Sterlingworth was always stocked with American Black Walnut (Juglans *****), pre WW-I graded guns were all stocked in European Walnut (Juglans regia). After WW-I only XE-grade and above were listed in the catalogues with Juglans regia, and by the last Savage catalogue all mention of European Walnut had disappeared.

#4 ·
If you find a good quality gun. Contact Pumpkin Gun Works in NY. He has all the left over parts
when Fox closed.

I got a new (old original stock) that was inletted and shaped but needed to be finished, lots of wood to custom fit to your likes.

I have a 32" Sterlingworth the fits like a dream.

#5 ·
Gentlemen,

Some good advise given here, Researcher was right on the money and others gave further info. I recommend the older Ansley guns, you may want to restock some that have the 3" drop for your modern gunning. However they are the best of the Fox guns, however there are some great Savage guns also. The great thing is it's not hard to restock any of the old Fox guns, Mac always reminded me of this fact when we discussed Fox and L.C. Smith Best guns.

You might consider a higher grade older Fox gun, if you have the money. IMO the Sterlingworth was never that nice of a Fox gun, always invest in the better gun if you can.

There are also lot of L.C. Smith guns that were made with modern stocks, either the Fox or Elsie double gun are definitely worth acquiring, especially if you are a Grouse and Woodcock hunter.

Real nice h grade 20 gauge Fox on GI right now for $4,800 a good buy. Gun has been professionally restocked with modern dimensions. If you are thinking of purchasing a Fox guns this is one to consider.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.