CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stevens 235 operation of hammers and firing pins?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just picked up the 235 in the classified section.
Nickel receiver? Very shiny, but I don't think they chromed back then.
1 Should the firing pins have return springs, they don't ?
2 Should the hammers rest on the firing pins when down?
They don't, but when I used a snap cap w/ some masking tape they did make a dent. I am asking because when I fire it w/ snap caps the hammers don't appear to even touch the firing pins, but a dent was left.
3 What should I use to keep the stock from cracking before I shoot it?
I pulled the stock and what looked very minor from the outside looked very bad from the inside.
4 Were they ever made in a chamber shorter than 2 3/4"?
I made a guage out of a 3 1/2" shell, cut to 2 3/4" and hot glued a wad upside down. It goes in without resistance and closes.
Thanks for any info!

Post subject: re: Stevens 235 operation of hammers and firing pins?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

I considered that gun myself. Hope you struck a deal leaving you both happy. Until I agree'd to repair one of these, I had never heard of a Stevens 235. Now it seems every time it rains a flood of them wash down. Seem like a solid old gun; strong, heavy and built to last.

The frame was color case hardened by what appears to be the cyanide method. Niether they nor any one else chromed frames; they cased either with or without colors.

They are rebounding hammers. Unloaded, they should rest about 1/4" from the firing pins. Loaded, about 1/8".

A stock (turned, inletted and ready for fitting) is available from Gunstocks Inc. (sales@gunstocksinc. com) for $45.00+$12.31 shipping. Should take about a week to get it. Mine got here in seven days.

Chamber should be 2 5/8". Never measured this one or any other of mine. To me, it's simply not important but you do what you feel is necessary.

I think you're going to enjoy the old clunker. Best of luck to you.

'Lonzo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It was definetly never colored. What would it look like cased without colors? I've never heard of this.
Not a trace of it anywhere inside or out.
Where the finish is missing on the receiver it is rusted, where the "nickel?" is it is near perfect.
I managed $250 cash.
The hammers seem as you describe. I will try some empties w/ primers to test first.
One of the reasons I wasn't afraid of these is that gunstocksinc has this model as one of their regulars. I used them for a savage 311 in laminate w/ good results. Laminate on this though would be a disgrace.
The butstock could use a refinish and it may be original. 4 of the 6 digits in the serial # are on it, but in reverse order??
2 5/8", I sure hope not. I could easily load for this but would rather not.

Thanks a bunch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OK, no one knows if external hammer guns should have return springs under the firing pins??
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Jim- rebounding firing pin springs are not required on this type of hammer gun. The hammers, having struck the firing pins, rebound to rear leaving more than ample room for the firing pins to move back as the barrels drop.

'Lonzo