It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trigger
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:29 pm 
Field Grade

I just inherited a low round, very low, K32. It is a stiff bugger to open and close. It seems to be in excellent condition from what I can tell and is a beautiful gun. I know the family well. It is a four number gun 43xx. Went out and shot it today for the first time and had, what felt like a trigger lock up when I shot the top barrel first. Maybe i am doing something wrong. My regular gun is a Perazzi MX 2000/8. Do I need to pull the stock and do some lube work or is it something else..Any thoughts appreciated. Other than a 28" barrel, it is a sweet gun. I will add a 32" barrel eventually with choke tubes.

Last edited by Tvbh40a on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Trigger
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:26 am 
Field Grade

My thoughts:

1. I'm not sure what a trigger lock up is. Anything except for consistent silky smooths trigger pulls on both barrels should be cause for concern and looked at by a competent K-gun smith. My wild-ass guess is that something might be up with the original piano wire sear springs which are the only real draw back in the original K-32 trigger (Except for how ugly it looks).

2. Yes, you need to occasionally apply a very small amount of grease to the sears and hammers. I believe there are pictures and videos on how to do this if you google it.

3. Whenever I get a used K-gun I *immediately* send it to Ottsville for an annual. They will change all springs, firing pins, lube it, and get it back to 'factory' specs. They will also let you know if it needs any additional work which you can then choose to have done or not. I know people scoff at the *annual* service but it's worth the $300.00 to me to know exactly what condition the gun is in and ensure that it will last my lifetime and my sons.

4. To have a gun factory case hardened will cost several thousand dollars. Case hardening is probably the least durable finish you can put on a gun. It will absolutely wear with use. If it were mine I'd have it nitrided. Whatever finish you add, whether factory or aftermarket will not add a penny in value to it.

5. I definitely have seen an increase in asking prices for *nice* K32s. I'm not sure if people are actually getting buyers for these prices but the high asking prices are there. Consequently, I've seen some older, well used K32s at almost give away prices. A savvy K32 buyer knows that if some work needs to be done (which is highly likely on a 50 year old used gun) it's not going to be inexpensive to have done right. However, for the money, you can't beat them in terms of quality and durability.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

First: what sujumaji said -- have a smith look at the triggers -- both should be silky and crisp when fired in either order.

Second: a K32 should not be "a stiff bugger to open and close." This is yet another reason to get it to competent Krieghoff smith.

Human ego will naturally resist change, yet change is the fuel that powers progress...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:15 am 
Diamond Grade

Case colors fade quickly - especially in the sunlight.
There are going to be a lot of dull looking K80's in a few years (and unhappy owners).
I have a couple of "new" M-32's and they were both stiff to open - until I cleaned out all the old grease and fresh lubed the gun.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:27 am 
Field Grade

Thanks. I will pull the stock and give it a look. Clean and lube and see what happens.

Last edited by Tvbh40a on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:01 am 
Diamond Grade

Tvbh40a wrote:
Thanks. I will pull the stock and give it a look. Clean and lube and see what happens.

It doesn't open and close under the stock.......

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:16 am 
Field Grade

Rebel Sympathy wrote:
Tvbh40a wrote:

It doesn't open and close under the stock.......[/quote

The trigger is accessible w/o taking the stock off...I cleaned the factory grease out and it much easier to open and close.

Last edited by Tvbh40a on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:34 am 
Diamond Grade

Tvbh40a wrote:
Rebel Sympathy wrote:
Tvbh40a wrote:

It doesn't open and close under the stock.......[/quote

The trigger is accessible w/o taking the stock off...I cleaned the factory grease out and it much easier to open and close. Sent it off to get the trigger issue resolved.

Sorry. I misunderstood your post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:11 am 
Field Grade

Once the original oil and grease was cleaned out of the triggers and cocking rods, everything works as it should. Interesting note to this story, when the stock was pulled off, the gunsmith told me it was a Dockwiller? stock. It is a pretty piece of wood. I left it off the gun and put a little higher fitting K80 set of wood on the gun. The gunsmith also said he could update the trigger to a k80 trigger. I think I will look for longer barrels first. Thanks for the input everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:27 pm 
Field Grade

Well, trigger locked up, bummed. Off to gunsmith again. He says it is a great trigger, no need to update to K80. I am beginning to have doubts though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:52 am 
Field Grade

Broken spring. Fixed, life is good,albeit expensive.