ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 34” Parcours Barrels
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DKW1 wrote:

What made you decide to multi choke it ?

Mainly flexibility, but I also prefer having both barrels the same most of the time. In my case, I also prefer Mod/Mod chokes most of the time. Then it's nice to be able to screw in a Skeet for something close, or a F for something way out there. Finally, I like the option of a tweener more open choke when I shoot at higher elevations, which I do on occasion.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:48 pm 
Limited Edition

Rooster booster wrote:
blaser f3 wrote:
The balance of a shotgun is a very ambiguous thing .
The difference between different manufacturers action designs and dimensions makes it difficult to compare apples with apples.
Traditionally people talk about the hinge pin as a reference point to balance the shotgun on , but that is not an accurate and transferable point between different guns because of the above mentioned differences.
Where the weight sits between your hands, and everyone holds a shotgun fractionally differently is the true indicator of the balance of the gun .
Personally I like a neutral feel and that is not always achieved by setting it up to balance on the hinge.

Additionally, the hinge pin is differing distances from the trigger on many makes. I’ve always preferred them balance point is ‘x’ in front of the trigger.

I’ve come up with a very “Bro Science “ method of quickly working out the balance issue.
It’s not necessarily the best , but I’ve used it to do the initial setup .

I hold the gun how I would normally, I then measure the distance between the back of my front hand on the forend and the front of my second finger on the
Grip ( the closest finger to the trigger guard not my trigger finger , because that is not supporting the weight of the gun .
Half way is my reference point , not necessarily the balance point because other factors come into play ( for example the front hand is extended out from your body so it is working harder than the back hand )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

blaser f3 wrote:

I’ve come up with a very “Bro Science “ method of quickly working out the balance issue.
It’s not necessarily the best , but I’ve used it to do the initial setup .

I hold the gun how I would normally, I then measure the distance between the back of my front hand on the forend and the front of my second finger on the
Grip ( the closest finger to the trigger guard not my trigger finger , because that is not supporting the weight of the gun .
Half way is my reference point , not necessarily the balance point because other factors come into play ( for example the front hand is extended out from your body so it is working harder than the back hand )

And then folks who slide their forehand fore or aft for differing presentations will alter that balance point.

Your original point is solid, that there is no hard and fast rule. Guns are different, shooters are different. In the end, all that matters is we like what we have, or perhaps that we can get our guns set up to suit our preference.

NSCA #617422

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:28 pm 
Limited Edition

JacksBack wrote:
DKW1 wrote:

What do the 34’s weigh ?

Mine weigh 3lb 4oz (1.475 kg). Which happens to be about 2-1/3 ounces lighter than my over-bored thinwall sporter 32" barrels. The extra length makes the swing somewhat similar, though still a little different feel overall... Kind hard to describe, but they seem to swing a little more smoothly, yet feel like I can also move them a little quicker at the same time -- if that makes sense. I do for sure like the narrower, and dead-flat (no ramp) parcouurs barrel rib.

Jack, thanks for sharing! Glad you're headed in the right direction with your new 34s.

Hope you can answer some rib mechanicals...

Is there a step?
Is it tapered?
If not tapered, how wide?
Is there a mid bead?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

GoldGuy,

>>Is there a step?<< No. The subtlest of a "ramp" from the breech. It rises maybe 1-2mm over the first 25mm from the top latch.
>>Is it tapered?<< Yes minimally, 8mm at the breech to 6mm at front bead.
>>Is there a mid bead?<< Yes, same config as most other newer style barrels with a small ~1mm silver mid bead and 3mm front white Bradley style bead.

NSCA #617422

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:02 am 
Limited Edition

JacksBack wrote:
GoldGuy,

>>Is there a step?<< No. The subtlest of a "ramp" from the breech. It rises maybe 1-2mm over the first 25mm from the top latch.
>>Is it tapered?<< Yes minimally, 8mm at the breech to 6mm at front bead.
>>Is there a mid bead?<< Yes, same config as most other newer style barrels with a small ~1mm silver mid bead and 3mm front white Bradley style bead.

Thanks Jack! Much appreciated!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Jack,

Was wondering how the 34" Pacours Barrels were working for you? I am contemplating getting a set of 34" Parcours for my K-80 and looking for additional feedback.

Also have you heard anything about a Parcours X barrel? I read an article that the barrels would have a 10mm to 8mm flat tapered rib. The article only mentions this barrel in 32" and nothing about a 34" with this same rib configuration.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

What’s this about an X barrel?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Birdhunter,

I saw an article on Facebook from Clay & Hunt. The article only mentions 32" barrels.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

Just found mention on K's facebook. Here's the copy from the post:
NEW K-80 PARCOURS BARREL SET
New K-80 barrel set available!
81 cm (32") 'Parcours-X' barrel set.
The New 81cm (32") 'Parcours-X' barrel set weighing approximately 1,550 g and gives shooters a weight option which lies between the K-80 Parcours and Sporting barrels and provides a more steady movement, familiar with the well known K-80 Sporting. The conical shaped rib tapers from 10mm to 8mm with a flat surface minus the center groove. The K-80 Parcours-X barrel is delivered with the newly introduced Krieghoff flush mount thin-walled interchangeable choke tubes and a speed key. The barrel set will be available from autumn 2020.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RAT 3323 wrote:
Jack,

Was wondering how the 34" Pacours Barrels were working for you? I am contemplating getting a set of 34" Parcours for my K-80 and looking for additional feedback.

Also have you heard anything about a Parcours X barrel? I read an article that the barrels would have a 10mm to 8mm flat tapered rib. The article only mentions this barrel in 32" and nothing about a 34" with this same rib configuration.

In a word, I am LOVING my 34" parcours barrels! Maybe 4 flats through them, but practice only -- due to covid have not shot any competitions. They point and swing butter smooth on long crossers, yet I can move them quickly enough to catch a ten-yard rabbit hop.

Re the Par X barrels. I tried to like the 32" parcours barrels and end of day they were simply too light in weight for me. Even adding 3 weights under the forearm, which actually makes them about 2 ounces HEAVIER than the 34's, they still moved too fast for me. The added length of the 34's, really smooths the swing out. Krieghoff understand that more weight needed to be in front of the fore-arm and created the thicker walled Par X barrel. My sporter 32's were factory fixed-choke and then I had them over-bored to reduce weight and thinwalled for choke. (Read back a couple pages in this thread where I give weights.) I am willing to bet my custom barrels are going to be really close to what the new Par X barrels will weigh, and IMHO if one wants 32" barrels, it will likely be a good way to go.

NSCA #617422

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:09 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Jack for the information.

My K-80 has 32" older sporting barrels that have the 12mm x 8mm rib. They have been back-bored to .740. With Extreme Chokes the barrel weighs 1655g (3lbs-10.4oz)

I have put in the extended stock bolt and have 3 weights attached. This gets the balance point about 5/8" behind center of hinge pin.

Total weight of my gun in 9lbs-8oz.

The 34" Parcours barrels sound great and may take about 6oz. or so off the total weight. May have to adjust the stock bolt weights so the front end is not to light.

Thanks again for your input and information.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:10 pm 
Limited Edition

Jack, thanks for the specs. I have an old M32 set set of 32s that came in at 1.56KG after some lovely work by Kerry Allor and that was after the factory rib was replaced with a 10mm parallel. Am guessing but these numbers suggest that if I can get a 10mm parallel put on a new 34" Parcours, that 1.475 kg would end up being 1.5+KG. So am hopeful... Step by step.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

GoldGuy wrote:
Jack, thanks for the specs. I have an old M32 set set of 32s that came in at 1.56KG after some lovely work by Kerry Allor and that was after the factory rib was replaced with a 10mm parallel. Am guessing but these numbers suggest that if I can get a 10mm parallel put on a new 34" Parcours, that 1.475 kg would end up being 1.5+KG. So am hopeful... Step by step.

Sounds about right for weight gain -- but I have to say that after shooting that long, thin and only very slightly tapered rib for a couple weeks, I *really* like it just the way it is...

OTOH, if one were adding a different rib to also gains some weight, you might as well ramp it a bit more and raise it ~~3mm so it's the same net height as a conventional sporter barrel ;)

NSCA #617422

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi Jack!
What chokes you use in your 34"?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Parcourfan wrote:
Hi Jack!
What chokes you use in your 34"?

When I had it thinwalled, I got 2 Mods as my main goto's, 2 Sks for close stuff and then a LF and F for way TF out there.

NSCA #617422

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:03 am 
Utility Grade

Sorry, I meant brand. Like briley or extreme or teague

Any other thoughts now when you have shot more?
Thinking also swap parcour 32"-->34" , do I need stock adjustments?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Parcourfan wrote:
Sorry, I meant brand. Like briley or extreme or teague

Any other thoughts now when you have shot more?
Thinking also swap parcour 32"-->34" , do I need stock adjustments?

Ah -- duh. I ended up just going with Briley -- the extended Spectrum, black oxide VX.
I debated about going to ExTi's and almost did --and still may yet-- but decided to start with the Brileys.

Longer barrels tend to shoot a little lower than shorter ones of the same configuration, so you may need a minor stock adjustment of raising the comb a teeny bit for going longer. But that said, I can also tell you that not every barrel, even if in the same configuration, shoots to the same POI and may require a slight stock adjustment. Front bead style can also impact it. Anyway, a long way around saying moving to 34's *may* require a small change to your comb to get the same POI you now have.

NSCA #617422

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Jack,

Very interesting what you say about longer barrels possibly shooting lower.

I have my K-80 back at Krieghoff for annual service and re-bluing of my 32" sporting barrels. At this same time I am having a set of 34" Parcours barrels fitted to my receiver.

I have reviewed with Don at Krieghoff and had them test fire my 32" sporting barrels and the 34" Parcours barrels for POI on both under & over barrels. To both of our surprises the 34" Parcours barrels shot a little lower POI with a similar site picture of seeing a little rib between the beads.

Are you still liking your 34" Parcours barrels?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RAT 3323 wrote:
Jack,
To both of our surprises the 34" Parcours barrels shot a little lower POI with a similar site picture

Are you still liking your 34" Parcours barrels?

Doesn't surprise me -- usually about an inch lower POI for every 2" of extra bbl length :)

Absolutely loving them, but only shot them in practice so far. My first actual competition since covid and receiving the new barrels is still a few weeks off, so I may have a more definitive answer after that.

NSCA #617422