CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's your favorite recipe for Duck?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well early Duck season is winding down here in Southern PA - So how do you like your duck?

I am the NRA, and I vote

"In the eyes of a tyrant, the patriot is a terrorist.." - DCx2

Post subject: re: What's your favorite recipe for Duck?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:25 pm 
Limited Edition

I have one of those Ronco electric roterissies. I use it and baste every so often with peanut oil. It is really good.

I also like to bake in a cast iron dutch oven, use a citrus or apricot stuffing. When it is near done glaze it with a mix of apricot marmalade and apricot brandy :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Soak it in Lawrys marinade (I like Caribbean Jerk, Baja Chipotle, Tequila Lime) over night saving a bit for dipping sauce later.

Take directly from marinade to seasoned flour on into some hot oil. Don't overcook it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:32 am 
Crown Grade

Duck in black cherry sauce

I got this from Wendy Alexander, a great dog trainer and gamekeepers wife from Devonshire. It works a treat, looks great, tastes wonderful, and is dead easy. If I’ve got time I leave mine marinading for however long we’ve got. Wendy originally called it “Tired Wildfowlers Duck”. You get the picture.

“This really is a cheats version! You can use a whole duck, or duck breasts.

Take a can of black cherry pie filling, add 4 fl oz of red wine,
pour over your duck, cover in foil and cook according to weight. 30 minutes is plenty long enough for the breast meat version.

Add a few baby roast potatoes to the oven to cook at the same time - finish the rest of the bottle, enjoy your duck & remember the day when you shot it! Absolutely wonderful!”

And it is.
Eug

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:53 am 
Presentation Grade

1 Whole duck(Millard size) "skin on" is the key.

5 tb spoon of brown sugar
1 cup of white wine
1/2 cup of soy
2 stick of lemon grass (sub with celery)
one whole garlic
2 tea spoon of ginger powder

Slow cook in a crockpot(3 hours) in medium heat, then add 2~3 chopped onion & small amount of water, reduce heat to low, cook another hour or two till the breast meat can be forked off the bone.

Serve with a good loaf of french bread and red wine.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:20 pm 
Field Grade

Marinate breast filets in French dressing overnight, then rinse. Cut down long edge and slice through middle of breast forming a cavity like a Pita pocket. Salt both sides. Pack cavity with about a 3/8" slice of cream cheese and 3 or 4 slices of jalapenos (from the jar). Wrap with 2 pieces of bacon and secure with 4 toothpicks. Cook on the grill indirect heat until the bacon is at least half cooked, then move to direct heat over the coals and cook till the bacon is done. Let cool a little and slice between the toothpicks and serve as appetizers or serve whole as a main dish. You better cook plenty though. People are going to want seconds.

Doc T

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:26 pm 
Field Grade

1. Start the barbecue
2. Breast duck
3. Place elk steak on bbq
4. Feed duck to dog

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My favorite duck recipe is duck kabob:

Soak the ducks in milk overnight, then marinade in Italian dressing for 24+ hrs. Cut duck meat into 1 inch cubes. Wrap with bacon and place on skewers with pearl onions, pineapple chunks, bell pepper pieces, and mushroom caps.

Grill over medium hot fire basting meat frequently with your favorite BarBQ sauce. Cook until the bacon is done. Serve with Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice. Delicious! Recipe works well with geese, too.

BTW, I've been hunting ducks and geese for over 40 years and never cared much for eating them. Not anymore! This recipe totally changed that. Like the old Alka-Seltzer TV commercial said, "Try it, you'll like it."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:24 am 
Field Grade

My favorite is a duck confit.... specifically the legs.
you can and should do this in good size batches. The following recipe will do 8 legs.

first you separate the legs and thighs from the bodys.

Take the skin and fat from the rest of the ducks and place in a sauce pan with a little water. Turn on low heat to render the fat ,it will take awhile. Mix up the following cure:

1/3 cup Kosher Salt
2 Bay leaves broken into pieces
2 T chopped fresh thyme
1/4 Cup Parsley
1 t black peppercorns

Grind or crush all of this together and sprinkle an even coating over all the legs and refridgerate over night. The next day you rinse off the cure and make an incision around the ankle portion of the leg, cutting through the tendons. This allows the muscle to slide down the bone while it cooks, making a nice package of meat. Place the legs in a pan that will hold them in a single layer. You want to use the smallest pan you can so that the fat that you rendered will cover all of the legs completely. Then place in an oven on low, 190 - 200 F for 6 - 8 hours, untill the meat is meltingly tender. Remove the pan from the oven. Here you have 2 choices .... if your going to eat them soon you can just put the pan in the fridge and the fat will solidify over the legs and will keep for about a week. For longer storage carefully move the legs to another container and pour the fat through a strainer over the legs, ensuring that they are covered completely and the solids are strained out of the fat (this is the better way). They will keep this way refridgerated or in a root celler for months. The fat protects them. To serve warm the fat enough to remove the legs from the fat and drain on a grate or paper towel. Heat a saute pan with a little of the fat and fry skin side down till crispy. Turn the leg and reduce the heat to heat all the way through.

Serve with a nice buttery potato dish..

This is an ancient method of preservation that I like because I like the way the duck comes with just the right amount of fat to preserve the legs and leaves the breast for right now and the carcass to make the stock for the sauce.

Cheers

Ptarmigan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:51 pm 
Limited Edition

Put duck breasts in foil pouch with
Chopped onions
Celery tops
Garlic cloves
Red pepper sliced
Yellow pepper sliced
Bacon strips
teriaki sauce
cook on grill till veggies are done
open pouch, throw away duck