Shotgun Forum banner

New Lanber 2077 Hunter Greystone

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  fallschirmjaeger 
#1 ·
Last week I was visiting in-laws in Grand Rapids, MI and had some time to kill so I went visiting the gun stores with my digital scale. I have been looking off and on for a sub-7 lb 12GA over/under as a lightweight pheasant hunting gun. Cabela's had a Lanber 2077 Hunter Greystone 12 GA with 26" barrels that weighed 6 lb 6 oz. as well as a variety of other Lanber models. Over the next few days I also stopped at a Gander Firearms superstore (way more guns than a typical Ganders) and Dick's Sporting Goods and spent a zillion hours researching Lanber on this forum (thanks to all you posters), other forums, talked to CDNN, etc. I really was looking for 28" barrels. In my conversations with CDNN it wasn't crystal clear which models they had in the "lightweight" series. Perhaps a 2077 Hunter with 3" chamber in 28" and a 2077 Greystone with 2 3/4" chambers in 26".

I went back to Cabela's and we searched their national inventory and could not find this model in 28" barrels. They had another identical 2077 Hunter Greystone 26" in the back. They had a $50 off sale on the Lanbers. I compared the two they had, weighed them both (about 2 oz difference), negotiated another $25 off, signed up for a Cabela's credit card to get another $25 off, completed the background check and walked out with a 6 lb 4 oz Lanber in the box for $700 plus tax. I could have saved about $75 at CDNN but parted with the extra $$ to get the gun I actually saw and weighed---and to be able to use it in N. Dakota on 10/25.

Back in Denver, after cleaning it and thoroughly lubricating it per other posters I put 50 rounds through it at a local sporting clays club. I'm happy to report that all went well. I did not pattern it yet but will. I realize that there is some risk with Lanber being out of business but decided that the risk was worth the apparent good value. Interestingly, this gun will replace a 2 year old Browning Cynergy Feather Composite 12GA that I will now be selling. If all goes well on my NoDak trip, I'll get a better recoil pad installed and add about 3/8" to the LOP for more comfort and a better fit after I return.

So again, thanks to all you posters as I would not have made this purchase without all the good things you have said about your Lanbers.

See less See more
#2 ·
So here's a follow-up on my 2077 Greystone. I patterned it with my normal 1oz sporting clays loads with most of the chokes in over and under barrels. Both barrels shoot consistently to point of aim (from a rest). Since I potentially have only a 30 day warranty from Cabela's I wanted to check that before taking it to NoDak. I hunted 5 days in NoDak in two different areas and was very happy with the gun. I used it four of the five days-used my Browning composite Maxus during the rainy day. It's a dream to carry at 6 lbs 4 oz and the recoil with 1 1/4 and 1 3/8 oz hunting loads did not bother me. Yes, I missed some shots---but I can do that with any of my guns. My pointing lab was happy with my performance--and I was happy with his.

After returning, I had a local gunsmith check out my fit and install a new recoil pad with about 1/4" more L.O.P. This gun will be my prime pheasant gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.