It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bought some of the first Lanbers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I haven't been on here in a few years. I remember buying a few of the rash of Lanber 2087 and 2097 maybe 8-10 years ago when CDNN had a batch. People were busting Lanber's balls because of the price, etc. "cheap ou" blah blah. We argued for a Lanber forum here on SGW. Anyway, I have shot the heck out of one of them, both hunting and clays, and it is still going strong. At the time I think we were buying them for $599. Anyway, great guns.

Post subject: Re: Bought some of the first Lanbers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

mine is still going strong as well. 2097 Lux.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:32 am 
Field Grade

I bought mine 3 years ago and put in some serious clay work through it and been really happy with it.
It is now my field gun - I stripped the wood down and refinished it with Danish oil and it looks nothing like an entry level gun. Even better than the expensive pieces being carried around me.

The one cocking lever return spring has now broken which in turn snapped the cocking dog on the fore end.
I had that piece machined up but the springs are another issue.
Any idea where I can get spares from on your side of the world?
I have mailed a number of places in the UK with no joy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:49 pm 
Field Grade

Try here for parts:
http://www.mastergunmakers.com/contact/

They used to cover the warranty for Lanbers but they do still work on them. Not sure if they export, but if they don't maybe they know who you can contact over there, good luck, Joe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:03 pm 
Field Grade

joee12 wrote:
Try here for parts:

They used to cover the warranty for Lanbers but they do still work on them. Not sure if they export, but if they don't maybe they know who you can contact over there, good luck, Joe

Thanks Joe,
I dropped them a mail.
As for contacts over here, that's a little bit of a joke.
I went to the "agent" who imported them locally who has a "gunsith" on site.
He said he had them in stock but pretty pricey cos he had imported them from GMK yada yada yada. He said it would take 20 minutes to find them, I told him ok price no problem. 20 min later he returns with the springs in the baggy I gave him with the sample.
When I got home I discovered that he had clearly made up the springs.
This to me is not a problem if you tell me this instead of making up stories - even better if the springs made up actually fit..... which they did not :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BGF wrote:
joee12 wrote:
Try here for parts:

Thanks Joe,
I dropped them a mail.
As for contacts over here, that's a little bit of a joke.
I went to the "agent" who imported them locally who has a "gunsith" on site.
He said he had them in stock but pretty pricey cos he had imported them from GMK yada yada yada. He said it would take 20 minutes to find them, I told him ok price no problem. 20 min later he returns with the springs in the baggy I gave him with the sample.
When I got home I discovered that he had clearly made up the springs.
This to me is not a problem if you tell me this instead of making up stories - even better if the springs made up actually fit..... which they did not :twisted:

Years ago, I bought a large assortment (roughly 150 to 200) of coil springs of various sizes and strengths from Wolff Gunsprings in the US. I think I paid about $35 for all those springs. I'm still using springs from that assortment today. Anytime I need a coil spring, I just look in one of the 4 packages until I find the one I want. You might try to purchase something similar.

Good luck.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:54 pm 
Field Grade

Ulysses wrote:

Years ago, I bought a large assortment (roughly 150 to 200) of coil springs of various sizes and strengths from Wolff Gunsprings in the US. I think I paid about $35 for all those springs. I'm still using springs from that assortment today. Anytime I need a coil spring, I just look in one of the 4 packages until I find the one I want. You might try to purchase something similar.

Good luck.

Hi Ulysses,
Sounds like a good plan.
These are unfortunately very specific in that they are torsion springs, and the left is wound one way and the right the other. They have long "tails" on each end with the ends bent opposite directions.
I had a set made up but they are too soft. I thought springsteel would be fine, but clearly I need a tougher grade - wish the spring company had told me to go a higher grade they weren't cheap.
They don't return to the same point they started off at.
Here's hoping they don't keep on losing their springiness and I'll have the problem of light strikes and broken bits.
That's why I am so keen to get the real deal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oh, OK. I wasn't paying attention. I was just thinking about coil springs. Sorry. Hope you find what you need.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

I got my 2097 in 2005 from CDNN. .. The gun was used as a skeet league shooter. Mechanically, it performed well with no problems but was sent out under warranty to Bachelder for an inertia block adjustment. Well over 20K rounds through this gun.

The cocking dog that protrudes from the rear of the forearm piece broke some time ago. That particular part has been unobtainium from any source, including Bachelder. .. Another O/U shotgun has being used in the meantime. I really liked shooting that 2097.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:52 am 
Field Grade

[quote="skeetldoo"]The cocking dog that protrudes from the rear of the forearm piece broke some time ago. That particular part has been unobtainium from any source[/quote"]
Have a look at http://www.gunspares.co.uk
They have stock, just look under lanber spares & the part number.
But there will probably be an underlying problem as to why it broke in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

BGF wrote:
skeetldoo wrote:
The cocking dog that protrudes from the rear of the forearm piece broke some time ago. That particular part has been unobtainium from any source[/quote"]
Have a look at http://www.gunspares.co.uk
They have stock, just look undhttp://us-mg5.mail.yahoo.com/neo/lau ... ej8ov6fjer lanber spares & the part number.
But there will probably be an underlying problem as to why it broke in the first place.

Thanks BGF for the link. The gunspares website appears to show the correct parts layout for the model 2097 Lanber. The Lanber owners manual that came with my 2097 also shows the exact same parts schematic. .. The part description shown in the Lanber owner's manual lists this part as 'forend iron'. The cocking dog, or cocking piece, appears to be integral and built into the 'forend iron' design. This forend iron is held in place to the forend wood by two screws.

But, looking over my 2097 the cocking dog and/or piece is a separate machined fitted piece not integral to the forend iron as shown in the Lanber parts schematic. There's a machined channel that runs down the middle of the forend iron to accommodate and fit the separate cocking piece. .. Perhaps this was a running design change on later model Lanber's than what the parts schematic that came with my 2097 shows. .. This separate machined piece is held in place by a third screw that can only be removed if the forend iron is separated from the forend wood.

The design of this separate cocking dog/piece seems a bit weak. In my opinion, it is prone to failure at some point in time. This cocking piece measures about 2.80 mm in thickness by 6.3 mm wide by 31.75 mm long (.110 x .250 x 1.25 in). The cocking piece end is shaped to accommodate the left/right cocking rods fitted in the action block.

The problem, as I see it is the screw that attaches this separate cocking piece to the forend iron. Considering the width of the retaining screw that retains the cocking piece in the middle of its body, there's not much 'meat' left on either side of the screw. A smaller diameter screw probably should have been used. The stress imposed and a bit of lever action on the cocking piece where the screw retains the body is where the break occurred on my 2097 - exactly right in the middle of the where the screw goes through the cocking piece. One half of the cocking piece is still screwed in place in the forend wood.

The cocking piece would seem easy piece to reproduce. The last time I spoke with Bachelder, they said they were looking into having the cocking pieces, as well as firing pins, made by an outside supplier. .. Looks like that hasn't happened yet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:59 pm 
Field Grade

Hi Skeetldoo,
All you say is correct. My schematic that came in the manual also shows it as a single piece but it is in fact a separate piece that screws in.
I had the part machined up. Interestingly, when checked for hardness it was found that the original had not been hardened at all.
On the part made I had made up we used a slightly smaller screw head (I think 4mm instead of 6mm) and also used a countersunk screw, as the original cheesehead means that a lot of meat is taken out of the piece.
They also welded the original up for just in case.
I would suspect that they changed the piece to replaceable so you don't have to replace the whole iron as it probably broke anyway.
Send a mail to Hamish. (sales@gunspares.co.uk) He's really helpful, and will tell you what the actual part they have in stock looks like.
edit mail address
Cheers
B

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hello B ..
I contacted Hamish about the cocking piece part. This was his reply back to me.

Quote:
Hi John

I regret that we have no parts for this model and as Lanber no longer exists it is getting almost impossible to get more.

The other problem is that we do not export firearms (UK definition) part outwith the UK.

Regards

Hamish
TW Chambers
https://www.gunspares.co.uk

Looks like the cocking piece part and quite possibly other Lanber parts will need to be custom made from an outside source.

All the best

John

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:59 am 
Field Grade

Hi John,
What s strange reply.
From their website they definitely do have stock of certain items, albeit not the one you require.
The shipping thing is quite common, the same applies in the US shipping outward.
I am going to have someone bring my springs out for me so do not need to worry about this.
Just ship to someone within GB and they can send it via parcel post. Just make sure it is not labelled as a firearm part anywhere.
Hope you come right. I have had the part you require machined up already so it certainly is do-able.
Or else just have it welded and see how long it lasts.

Cheers
Brent

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

iv ha a few lambers, and they are good guns i hit pigeons very well with them.but the parts are a bit hard to get.