Shotgun Forum banner

Ithaca/SKB vs. Browning BSS

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  BFBoy 
#1 ·
I have a Browning BSS 12 ga. It is a heavy clunky gun. Don't like it much. It shoots good, but is awkward and heavy.

The prices for the BSS 20 gauges are up there with Beretta, but it's not in the same league. The 20 gauges are now going as high as $2,500 on the used gun market.

I have my Dad's old Ithaca/SKB 20 ga. Model 500 O/U. Best shooting gun I have. Because I like it so much, I recenlty bought a Model 100 sxs on Gunbroker.com. Awful epoxy stock, but the gun handles beautifully. Almost as good as the O/U.

I wanted a 280E English, which is like the BSS Sporting 20 ga.

My question: Does anyone own both guns in 20 ga? The BSS is really expensive now, maybe as much as $1,000 more than the SKB. However, I think the SKB handles much better. Both guns are fine mechanically.

Anyone share my opinion? Anyone disagree ?

G
#2 ·
I have owned and shot the SKB Model 100 a lot in 20 gauge. i presently own a BSS 20 gauge Sporter 26" that is currently popular.
The Browning is a heavier gun with much better cosmetics for the blueing, wood finish and over all looks.
The SKB 100 is lighter inpart due to splinter forearm and action. The 100 only has extractors and has a metal finsh that is not like the Browning blueing if it is indeed blueing. The 100 wood is very plain.
For upland hunting, I would much rather carry the SKB 100 26" 20 gauge becuase of the wieght difference. For shooting in a blind with 3" shells at ducks and geese, the extra weight of the Browning would nice but I shot the 100 A LOT with lead 3" shells before non-toxic shot.
Both guns have malfunctioned for me, the 100 doubled with 3" magnums while duck hunting and the Browning refused to fire the second barrel at a game farm. both were easily repaired.
The choice is yours.-Dick

#3 ·
I had a 280E English, 20 ga, 25", IC/Mod. I kick myself for ever having sold that beauty. It was light, short, quick, and for me, very accurate. The guy I sold it to, about 20 years ago, still has it and loves it. I'm sure you would like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.