It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BPS and slugs
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Question for experts here......Browning in the FAQ web info page states the 12GA BPS which has an over bore barrel is OK with slugs using the Invecta Plus rifles slug tube, either Sabots or Foster type slugs. Anyone have any experience with the BPS, my neighbor is thinking of undoing this, add a set of Williams vent rib sights.

Post subject: Re: BPS and slugs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:54 am 
Field Grade

What exactly is your neighbor trying to undo? If Brownings website says it's ok, it is most likely ok. However accurately will likely suffer significantly from an over-bored barrel. What kind of slugs is he planning on using?

Post subject: Re: BPS and slugs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:54 pm 
Field Grade

Mossy - in quotes is my response to a similar question in 2009 followed by an update.

"Here's my $0.02. My experience with both my 12 ga Browning Gold Hunter and BPS (both are smooth bore) is that they like the 2.75 Remington Slugger Foster style slugs fired through the IC choke tube. Using open sights (from Williams, not the bead on the end on the barrel) we get 2-3 inch groups at 50 yds from the bench. The Gold is chambered for 3.0 & the BPS for 3.5 hulls. The 3 inch Foster loads loads don't group as well.

I've tried many different brands but the Rem work best.

I recently bought a used 20 ga BPS and so far it doesn't seem to like any brand of slugs, yielding 6 inch groups at 50 yds."

UPDATE - Since then I've found that the Fiocchi Aero slugs also group well from the 12 ga BPS and the 20 ga BPS likes the B&P (Baschieri & Pellagri) slugs. Put Williams Slugger fiber optic sights on it. Went through lots of different slugs before I found one that it liked. B&P (Baschieri & Pellagri) 7/8 oz slug at 1410 fps. Bought a case of 100 rds when they were on sale for about $70 with free shipping.

2 inch 3 shot groups with IC choke tube at 50 yds is OK for me.

These guns, all overbored & using factory Invector Plus IC choke tubes.

Hope there's something useful in all that,