It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage 220 scope mount issues
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:24 pm 
Field Grade

Just couple of days ago, I bought a new Savage 220 at Ganger Mountain. I bought the weaver scope bases for the Savage 111 and the fit up to the mounting holes just fine. However, when mounting the forward mount, the screw closest to the muzzle will not sit all the way. It appears to be hitting the threads on the barrel where it mates to the receiver, not allowing it to be torqued down. I took a pic of the screw hole and a pic of it with the mounting screw in.

I called savage and they said that one of the screws should of been a shorter one for the front but they're all the same.

I ordered the mount they recommend and it came in the mail today. I checked and all of the screws are the same length with that one, too.

I'm wondering if something is amiss here.

Anyone?

Post subject: Re: Savage 220 scope mount issues
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:03 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The 220 gas no iron sights and comes with Weaver-style bases pre-installed.

Rail mounts are offered by EGW and Warne.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:42 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:

I realize they don't come with iron sights. I'm confused to why you brought it up. Mine didn't come with weaver mounts.

Guess my question is when you mounted your scope rails, where all screws the same size? I can't get the very front hole to screw in all the way. Savage says it's normal. I'm calling bs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:31 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Blood Trail wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:

I realize they don't come with iron sights. I'm confused to why you brought it up. Mine didn't come with weaver mounts.

Guess my question is when you mounted your scope rails, where all screws the same size? I can't get the very front hole to screw in all the way. Savage says it's normal. I'm calling bs.

My 220s came from Savage with 2-piece bases installed. What brand of base or bases you might have I have no idea.

The best base for the 220 is the EGW: https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Gun-Wo ... B01B1ZX5LS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm 
Field Grade

That's the one I just installed. The front is a little different from the savage 110 mounts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

A phone call to EGW @ 215-538-1012 should resolve the mystery.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:43 pm 
Utility Grade

DNZ one piece scope mounts are way better then the EGW

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:36 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

BHC wrote:

Based on what?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:21 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
BHC wrote:

Based on what?

I'm gonna toss a guess out here........ something about how the DNZ lower rings are actually a machined part of the mounting rail so that is 'obviously' superior than clamping to a picatinny rail.

Proclamations of perfect and unalterable alignment and all.

While I disagree with the above, I'm taking a S.W.A.G. at BHC's logic here....................

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:26 am 
Crown Grade

Blood Trail wrote:
Just couple of days ago, I bought a new Savage 220 at Ganger Mountain. I bought the weaver scope bases for the Savage 111 and the fit up to the mounting holes just fine. However, when mounting the forward mount, the screw closest to the muzzle will not sit all the way. It appears to be hitting the threads on the barrel where it mates to the receiver, not allowing it to be torqued down. I took a pic of the screw hole and a pic of it with the mounting screw in.

I called savage and they said that one of the screws should of been a shorter one for the front but they're all the same.

I ordered the mount they recommend and it came in the mail today. I checked and all of the screws are the same length with that one, too.

I'm wondering if something is amiss here.

Anyone?

If a screw is too long, thread it into something (like a nut of a threaded hole in a metal plate) and adjust it, with a file usually, they are easy to make shorter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:17 pm 
Limited Edition

RandyWakeman wrote:
BHC wrote:

Based on what?

Complete experience on trying both mounts on the 220

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:54 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
I'm gonna toss a guess out here........ something about how the DNZ lower rings are actually a machined part of the mounting rail so that is 'obviously' superior than clamping to a picatinny rail.

The EGW mounts are far more versatile, you can mount various optics more easily. The Savage 220 is a fairly low recoil application-- the DNZ's are a waste in this application.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:26 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:

The EGW mounts are far more versatile, you can mount various optics more easily. The Savage 220 is a fairly low recoil application-- the DNZ's are a waste in this application.

I'd incline to agree here (especially on a long action). A rail type system allows for a lot more flexibility with regards to optic selection and equally if not more important, eye relief adjustment. Have you ever seen someone shoulder a rifle with an improperly fitted scope tube with regards to eye relief ? It's a setup for a whole host of issues. That said, nothing is perfect. A full rail across the receiver "may" potentially induce loading(directly into the chamber) or ejecting problems. But, more times than not tho it's a non issue.

It is of my opinion that a quality installation of a "lighter duty" system will trump a poor installation of a "heavy duty" system. The heavy build of DNZ's is rather pointless unless there is near perfect alignment of scope tube, rings, and base(s). Most all rings, bases and tubes are never 100% in alignment. In a precision type setup and/or a heavy recoil firearm I think it's a very important step that is most often skipped. Just my personal preference, I generally choose steel over aluminum made. Without getting into all the details I'd suffice to say that steel is stronger and has a lower thermal expansion rate, and the extra 1 ounce of weight doesn't bother me. Does all that matter on a shotgun, most likely not. But its something to keep the gears lubed up.

Also note, if you don't care for the aesthetics of a rail system, many manufactures make 2 piece bases that are stepped in towards the receiver to allow a little more flexibility and mounting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:47 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:

Agreed Randy.

There are times when Super Duper Mounts are needed, and other times when they are a complete waste of effort.