It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Savage 220 scope mount issues
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:24 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:30 am
Posts: 97
Just couple of days ago, I bought a new Savage 220 at Ganger Mountain. I bought the weaver scope bases for the Savage 111 and the fit up to the mounting holes just fine. However, when mounting the forward mount, the screw closest to the muzzle will not sit all the way. It appears to be hitting the threads on the barrel where it mates to the receiver, not allowing it to be torqued down. I took a pic of the screw hole and a pic of it with the mounting screw in.

I called savage and they said that one of the screws should of been a shorter one for the front but they're all the same.

I ordered the mount they recommend and it came in the mail today. I checked and all of the screws are the same length with that one, too.

I'm wondering if something is amiss here.

Anyone?




Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Savage 220 scope mount issues
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:03 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 21200
Location: Plainfield, IL
The 220 gas no iron sights and comes with Weaver-style bases pre-installed.

Image

Image

Rail mounts are offered by EGW and Warne.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Savage 220 scope mount issues
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:42 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:30 am
Posts: 97
RandyWakeman wrote:
The 220 gas no iron sights and comes with Weaver-style bases pre-installed.

Image

Image

Rail mounts are offered by EGW and Warne.

I realize they don't come with iron sights. I'm confused to why you brought it up. Mine didn't come with weaver mounts.

Guess my question is when you mounted your scope rails, where all screws the same size? I can't get the very front hole to screw in all the way. Savage says it's normal. I'm calling bs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Savage 220 scope mount issues
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:31 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 21200
Location: Plainfield, IL
Blood Trail wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
The 220 gas no iron sights and comes with Weaver-style bases pre-installed.

Image

Image

Rail mounts are offered by EGW and Warne.

I realize they don't come with iron sights. I'm confused to why you brought it up. Mine didn't come with weaver mounts.

Guess my question is when you mounted your scope rails, where all screws the same size? I can't get the very front hole to screw in all the way. Savage says it's normal. I'm calling bs.


My 220s came from Savage with 2-piece bases installed. What brand of base or bases you might have I have no idea.

The best base for the 220 is the EGW: https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Gun-Wo ... B01B1ZX5LS

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Savage 220 scope mount issues
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:30 am
Posts: 97
That's the one I just installed. The front is a little different from the savage 110 mounts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Savage 220 scope mount issues
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 21200
Location: Plainfield, IL
A phone call to EGW @ 215-538-1012 should resolve the mystery.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Savage 220 scope mount issues
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:43 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 5:51 am
Posts: 12
DNZ one piece scope mounts are way better then the EGW


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Savage 220 scope mount issues
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:36 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 21200
Location: Plainfield, IL
BHC wrote:
DNZ one piece scope mounts are way better then the EGW


Based on what?

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Savage 220 scope mount issues
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:21 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:01 am
Posts: 2384
Location: Newton Kansas
RandyWakeman wrote:
BHC wrote:
DNZ one piece scope mounts are way better then the EGW


Based on what?

I'm gonna toss a guess out here........ something about how the DNZ lower rings are actually a machined part of the mounting rail so that is 'obviously' superior than clamping to a picatinny rail.

Proclamations of perfect and unalterable alignment and all.

While I disagree with the above, I'm taking a S.W.A.G. at BHC's logic here....................

_________________
I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is hunting season, and I carry a Browning. Stay hungry my friends.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Savage 220 scope mount issues
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:26 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:01 am
Posts: 2384
Location: Newton Kansas
Blood Trail wrote:
Just couple of days ago, I bought a new Savage 220 at Ganger Mountain. I bought the weaver scope bases for the Savage 111 and the fit up to the mounting holes just fine. However, when mounting the forward mount, the screw closest to the muzzle will not sit all the way. It appears to be hitting the threads on the barrel where it mates to the receiver, not allowing it to be torqued down. I took a pic of the screw hole and a pic of it with the mounting screw in.

I called savage and they said that one of the screws should of been a shorter one for the front but they're all the same.

I ordered the mount they recommend and it came in the mail today. I checked and all of the screws are the same length with that one, too.

I'm wondering if something is amiss here.

Anyone?


If a screw is too long, thread it into something (like a nut of a threaded hole in a metal plate) and adjust it, with a file usually, they are easy to make shorter.

_________________
I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is hunting season, and I carry a Browning. Stay hungry my friends.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Savage 220 scope mount issues
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:17 pm 
Limited Edition

Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:17 am
Posts: 449
Location: Lopatcong Twp., New Jersey
RandyWakeman wrote:
BHC wrote:
DNZ one piece scope mounts are way better then the EGW


Based on what?


Complete experience on trying both mounts on the 220


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Savage 220 scope mount issues
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:54 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 21200
Location: Plainfield, IL
OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
I'm gonna toss a guess out here........ something about how the DNZ lower rings are actually a machined part of the mounting rail so that is 'obviously' superior than clamping to a picatinny rail.


The EGW mounts are far more versatile, you can mount various optics more easily. The Savage 220 is a fairly low recoil application-- the DNZ's are a waste in this application.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Savage 220 scope mount issues
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:26 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:16 pm
Posts: 56
RandyWakeman wrote:
OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
I'm gonna toss a guess out here........ something about how the DNZ lower rings are actually a machined part of the mounting rail so that is 'obviously' superior than clamping to a picatinny rail.


The EGW mounts are far more versatile, you can mount various optics more easily. The Savage 220 is a fairly low recoil application-- the DNZ's are a waste in this application.



I'd incline to agree here (especially on a long action). A rail type system allows for a lot more flexibility with regards to optic selection and equally if not more important, eye relief adjustment. Have you ever seen someone shoulder a rifle with an improperly fitted scope tube with regards to eye relief ? It's a setup for a whole host of issues. That said, nothing is perfect. A full rail across the receiver "may" potentially induce loading(directly into the chamber) or ejecting problems. But, more times than not tho it's a non issue.



It is of my opinion that a quality installation of a "lighter duty" system will trump a poor installation of a "heavy duty" system. The heavy build of DNZ's is rather pointless unless there is near perfect alignment of scope tube, rings, and base(s). Most all rings, bases and tubes are never 100% in alignment. In a precision type setup and/or a heavy recoil firearm I think it's a very important step that is most often skipped. Just my personal preference, I generally choose steel over aluminum made. Without getting into all the details I'd suffice to say that steel is stronger and has a lower thermal expansion rate, and the extra 1 ounce of weight doesn't bother me. Does all that matter on a shotgun, most likely not. But its something to keep the gears lubed up.

Also note, if you don't care for the aesthetics of a rail system, many manufactures make 2 piece bases that are stepped in towards the receiver to allow a little more flexibility and mounting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Savage 220 scope mount issues
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:47 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:01 am
Posts: 2384
Location: Newton Kansas
RandyWakeman wrote:
OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
I'm gonna toss a guess out here........ something about how the DNZ lower rings are actually a machined part of the mounting rail so that is 'obviously' superior than clamping to a picatinny rail.


The EGW mounts are far more versatile, you can mount various optics more easily. The Savage 220 is a fairly low recoil application-- the DNZ's are a waste in this application.

Agreed Randy.

There are times when Super Duper Mounts are needed, and other times when they are a complete waste of effort.



_________________
I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is hunting season, and I carry a Browning. Stay hungry my friends.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: 98052, ada33, arrofsaparce, Bing [Bot], Brad F, bulljiggy, Cass, Diddle, Five forks, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], hass28, jackholexxxx, Jager1, la angler, McSig, ohio mike, rbjammin, Road Man, SuperXOne, wilson&zeus, wraco


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
© 2017 Carbon Media Group Outdoors    - DMCA Notice