CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

MakZ Slugs

Post subject: Soda Can barrel Shim on 870 (With Pics)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:48 pm 
Utility Grade

I pm'd Cuda(Mike) how to do this and sent him these pictures to make sure I did this correctly and he said it was.
This is pretty simple to do, you just need a soda/Beer can and something to cut it with(I used some kitchen sheers).
First Cut the can apart and into a flat shape.
Then cut away part of the can to fit the barrel tang that goes into the receiver of the gun (mine is about 1 5/8" x 1 1/4")
Mine looked like this
This shows where it goes on the barrel
Here is the receiver WITH OUT the shim
Here is the receiver WITH the shim and where it goes
-Make sure that everything is clear and it doesn't get in the way of any groves that are cut into the barrel
here is the receiver with the Barrel and the Shim installed, notice how you cant see it at all.

If your barrel still moves a bit(mine did) use a double thickness shim, I just cut a different piece out of the can 2 times the width and folded it over. Make sure to hammer down the fold that way it is flat. I placed the double thickness shim in mine and the barrel is nice and tight.

I havent shot the gun with the shim in yet so I dont know on improvements nor am I a very good shot to have much to compare too, but hopefully this helps.

Disclaimer: Everyone who does this needs to know that you are adding something to a firearm that is not originally meant to be there, so in no way, if something goes wrong, am I responsible.

Post subject: Re: Soda Can barrel Shim on 870 (With Pics)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hello YNOT excellant post with pictures I am sure others will appreciate it.
Thanks for sharing.
Ajay Madan
www.PreciousVideomemories.Com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

VdoMemorie wrote:
Hello YNOT excellant post with pictures I am sure others will appreciate it.
Thanks for sharing.
Ajay Madan
http://www.PreciousVideomemories.Com

Sentiments mirrored.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

This question gets asked all the time. How do you go about making a post into a sticky?

This one definetly should be permanent.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:26 pm 
Field Grade

jjas wrote:
This question gets asked all the time. How do you go about making a post into a sticky?

This one definetly should be permanent.

Jim

Agreed

I think JLP is the guy to talk to.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:47 pm 
Crown Grade

jjas wrote:
How do you go about making a post into a sticky?

That is an entitlement of being a current Admin/Moderator. Since no one other than the owners of this site have those priveledges in this forum, no one can update or manage any of those posts.

(The same reason why the "twist rate" sticky has not been updated in years despite the fact that I recieve requests to update it on a monthly basis from members that want to see their guns twist rates listed there.)

JC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

I contacted the mods about making the post into a sticky.

Hopefully they will.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks Jay!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:25 am 
Tournament Grade

I take it this will also work for an 1100? Great pics!!

This may revive an unused 16ga which prints 8in groups a foot to the right. If this tightens groups, I may invest in a set of Williams vent rib sights instead of getting a .44 carbine for busting through cattails up here in ND. A scoped 7mm magnum is decidedly inconvenient and dumbass for this situation. Firearms deer hunting up here is either like chasing cottontail in VA or requires a flat shooting rifle. I don't have the money for Kenny Jarrett and wish buckshot were legal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:31 am 
Tournament Grade

I know KJ is out of SC.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:51 pm 
Field Grade

I didn't know I had to do this to my 870. Should I be doing this for the slug barrell, shotgun barrell or both. For what reason are you doing this. Sorry for the questions but this is the first I've heard of this. Smoothbore slug barrell was spot on last year but not so good this year, I've blamed that on the scope, could the barrell just be a bit loose.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

Pat, you don't "have" to do it, but it tightens up the fit of your barrel to the action giving the potential for increased accuracy.

On switch barrel guns, you're fit could be a bit loose which shimming will help, you could have different torque on the barrel nut, you could have a scope issue or a combo of any of these.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hello I was playing with my Rem 1100 and had put two shims of soda can. The fit was nice and snug but the center of axis of the barrel was no more the same as the center of axis of the receiver causing the locking bolt to rub to the point that it would not close as freely as before. What I am wanting to say is use only one piece of wider shim but rap it around so the center of axis remains the same for the barrel and receiver. Rap it a little more than 180 degrees bottom half.
Ajay Madan
www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Great pics, and great tech posting. Thank you

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:00 pm 
Utility Grade

:shock: Always wonder how that was done ! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ever wonder what that will do to the locking lug engagement depth of that 870? It DOES bring it the lug deeper in the recess. Perhaps it is nothing but then it might be damn hard to unlock for the next shot.
I imagine this is a problem possible more on a new gun rather than one that is decades old.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:18 pm 
Field Grade

Can this precedure be used on the 1187 models ?? Thanx,Slugnut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:16 am 
Field Grade

I am very interested in how much more acurate the shim would make a gun. I would like to see before and after pic of a target. I am not happy with my new 1187 20 gauge with cantilever barrel and thinking about trying this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:33 am 
Field Grade

Just a little up date on shimming my 1187. I tried this and it seems that it turned a horizontal spread of about 5" at 50 yards into a vertical spread of about the same. Given the problems taking the barrel off for cleaning I have since just left the shim off. It would seem that Remington's new dedicated slug gun with a longer heavy pinned barrel and the scope mounted on the receiver would be the way to go and give up the interchangeable barrel.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Like so many other things there are trade offs and you have found a number of them.
It it is a pity that a lockable interrupted thread can't be designed on a production gun for quick removal.
I guess I shouldn't say that because it was in the late 1930's.(But that was when we had numerous good domestic machinists and had a solid industrial base. Well that is all history.)

I have been playing with the idea of an extension of the threading on the magazine tube
beyond the loop collar on the barrel. With that you could place a stop ring and utilize the magazine column as a secondary barrel support. That should allow you a bit more stability rather than extreme torquing of the barrel as well as give you a readily removable barrel.
Remington will not sell the mag column so I am at an impasse.

Just me thinking out loud.

IMHO