CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Soda Can barrel Shim on 870 (With Pics)
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:53 am 
Utility Grade

So let me get this straight, you do this to interchangeable barrels? I have a brand new 835 that I ain't even shot yet. Should I do this? :?:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:37 am 
Presentation Grade

Blood Trail wrote:
So let me get this straight, you do this to interchangeable barrels? I have a brand new 835 that I ain't even shot yet. Should I do this? :?:

No, unless you want to. There isn't any danger in trying if this is done properly.

Personally, I would get out and fire my new 835 to get to know it's performance baseline. If that baseline is unsatisfactory then I would begin taking steps to improve it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The old saying "If it is not broke DON'T FIX it" comes to mind.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:10 pm 
Utility Grade

lots of variables here as to why this may work for one and not another. One thing no one mentioned was the load they were shooting?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Yorky, different shells shoot differently in different barrels. Most everyone knows that. They are talking about a "poor mans" way of tightening up a loose barrel-reciever fit. I did it on my 11-87 and it helped. I also tried alot of different slugs untill I found the one my barrel liked best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

While this mod seems like it might help the guns shoot a bit better, you guys need to be aware you're opening the door for all kinds of galvanic corrosion problems by touching the AL to the steel. Left unchecked, this will eventually become an issue. Possibly a catastrophic one being the location.

I wouldn't leave that piece in place permanently, might be a good idea to take it out during the off season.

-T

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:07 am 
Field Grade

I have a mossberg 500 20ga. made in the 80's that I picked up a few months ago after a slip and fall left me with a minor but painful right rotator cuff injury.shooting my .357 puma hurt
a few weeks after the fall so I was a little worried about what my 12 ga. mav slug gun would do to me if the soreness and pain lingered into deer season.
the mossy came with 2 barrels,both smooth bores,one a slug barrel with rifle sites.I bought a rifled,cantilevered slug barrel and put a red dot on it to set it up just like my mav,same lop, and same home-made raised leather cheekpad, but unfortunately not the same results.
I haven't been able to get groups consistent enough to feel totally comfortable with my sight in yet and my time and $ are get short as the season approaches.
Long story a little shorter. the barrel did have a little bit of play at the receiver so I'm trying the soda can shim.it took out all the wobble , the action seems to still cycle smoothly and I can't wait to get back out to the power lines and burn some more ammo. hopefully with better results.
the pics were a major help. I don't think I would have attempted this without them.Many thanks!
rcc47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:04 pm 
Limited Edition

Fletch6 wrote:
I am very interested in how much more acurate the shim would make a gun. I would like to see before and after pic of a target. I am not happy with my new 1187 20 gauge with cantilever barrel and thinking about trying this.

Hi Fletch6, I have the same 1187 20ga and my barrel has a little wiggle as well! Did you try calling Remington? Have you since tried the shim in this topic? Im a little disappointed in mine too!

12 Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm
11 Rem 11-87 20ga Sportsman Deer/combo
11 Ruger M77/Hawkeye All Weather 243 (For Sale)
11 Benelli Super Vinci
01 Beretta 682E Gold Sporting
94 ruger 10/22 carbine stainless