It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Low Recoil Slugs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

I believe the material is almost pure lead which tends to gall. I have prepped and burnished my barrels with Tungsten Sulfide. I still would not fire and unlubed lead alloy slug in a rifled bore. Rilfes and Pistols all will lead with unlubed bullets, shotugns aren't that much different. Lead cannot really be chemically removed, only abraded.
Greg
AKA 12 Bore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The prepping allows a breaking of the bond between steel and lead.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

What I would like is to get my hands on some of those special wads they use in those loads --- from looking at the pics posted --- with the plug peice that goes up inside the slugs hollow base --- prefereably in 250 count bags for no more then the price of 500 count bags of regular wads. Then we could build our own smooth bore slug loads with attached base wads like brenneke slugs from home casting molds without having to mess with screws and trying to punch holes dead center in nitro cards.

Yah, I know --- dreaming again ain't I

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:45 pm 
Site Sponsor

Hello Again,
Also, wanted to let you all know that our 20ga slugs are now on sale on the B&P Website.

Big Game Gualandi 20ga 7/8oz Slug 1410 fps (100 rds) REG: $75.55
ON SALE NOW FOR $68.00 Delivered

These 20ga slugs are for smoothbore barrels and are great for varmints or deer. They also obtain the Gordon Hull System for extra Reduced Recoil.

This price is available on the B&P Website. The 12ga slug special price is not.
http://www.bandpusa.com

There are also other loads on sale until March 10th, 2009. Including some steel, 2 1/2inch shells and some nickel plated shot loads!

Kari McCormick
Kmccormick@kaltron.com
630.350.1116 x 109

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:28 pm 
Field Grade

Here are a couple of my latest B & P targets. 5 shots, 50 yds, smoothbore

Roboslug

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Can you post the CTC measurements of those targets at 50yds?

For whatever reason, (marketing purposes seems the obvious reason when it comes to ASSA), the ASSA emblem is the predominant feature on those targets instead of a practical measurable scale as most real world shooters would prefer.

Good shooting for a shooting bore!....Thanks in advance!

JC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:16 pm 
Crown Grade

I forgot to add...for the cost...those really are solid results!..(Should really make many of the reloaders shudder to think what they are chasing..LOL)

Having dealt with Kari while purchasing Kaltron imported products...I expected nothing less!

Again, thanks for the report!

JC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

Still curious about Canadian availability.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:39 pm 
Field Grade

jcchartboy wrote:

For whatever reason, (marketing purposes seems the obvious reason when it comes to ASSA), the ASSA emblem is the predominant feature on those targets instead of a practical measurable scale as most real world shooters would prefer.

JC

About the targets, the outer ring is 7.8" diameter, the inner ring is 5", and there is a note on the left lower corner saying the center diamond is 2" across the flats. Of course the yellow center diamond is a 1" flat to flat. Pretty easy to scale on any posted photos, if you know that. The posted pictures were a little fuzzy, but for free printable practice targets, they work fine for me, use them all the time. Hard to beat the cost, and if they want to put their name on targets they're giving me for nothing, that works pretty good for me too. This is the same as the competition targets they use except for the "Practice Target" written across the thing, which I guess helps keep people from making up their own and trying to get them in the competitions. Pretty sharp shooting for a smoothbore, anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:52 pm 
Field Grade

jcchartboy wrote:

JC

The outside-outside dimension on both previous targets is about 2 1/2". The diamond on an ASSA target is 2" across the flats. This B & P target is about 2 1/8" outside. Again, 5 shots, 50 yds.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:41 am 
Limited Edition

[quote="jcchartboy"]Can you post the CTC measurements of those targets at 50yds?

[b]For whatever reason, (marketing purposes seems the obvious reason when it comes to ASSA), the ASSA emblem is the predominant feature on those targets instead of a practical measurable scale as most real world shooters would prefer.[/b]

JC[/quote]

It's a practice target.

That target is a free download from their site, hence their name.

If you want better then design something or find something else and quit bitching about it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:47 pm 
Field Grade

roboslug,what type of shotgun did you use??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

RePete wrote:
jcchartboy wrote:

JC

It's a practice target.

If you want better then design something or find something else and quit bitching about it.

It’s not a matter of someone designing and using a better target. Lots of better targets are available for free online, but someone (Roboslug) opted to use the ASSA target. This is not a sin, but it did cause difficulty for others trying to interpret the results. A request for the important measurement was made, and complied with (thank you Roboslug).

The real ‘bitching’ here is your over-reaction to a predictable outcome.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:01 pm 
Limited Edition

[quote="Quaid"][quote="RePete"][quote="jcchartboy"]Can you post the CTC measurements of those targets at 50yds?

[b]For whatever reason, (marketing purposes seems the obvious reason when it comes to ASSA), the ASSA emblem is the predominant feature on those targets instead of a practical measurable scale as most real world shooters would prefer.[/b]

JC[/quote]

It's a practice target.

If you want better then design something or find something else and quit bitching about it.[/quote]+

No over reaction on my part but it was on JC's part.

If he doesn't like it, then he doesn't use it. It that simple.

It’s not a matter of someone designing and using a better target. Lots of better targets are available for free online, but someone (Roboslug) opted to use the ASSA target. This is not a sin, but it did cause difficulty for others trying to interpret the results. A request for the important measurement was made, and complied with (thank you Roboslug).

The real ‘bitching’ here is your over-reaction to a predictable outcome.[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:02 pm 
Limited Edition

Forgot to add, what's difficult in downloading the target and plotting the holes on it and then taking your own measurements?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

RePete wrote:
Forgot to add, what's difficult in downloading the target and plotting the holes on it and then taking your own measurements?

While possible, your suggestion places the onus of measuring on each independent viewer (multiples of effort) versus on the author (singular effort). Efficiency, my friend, is the difficulty. Efficacy is the desired result.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:44 pm 
Crown Grade

RePete wrote:
"JC was slammed" and hasn't replied since...

Quiad,

As you can see by Repete's own description on ASSA of his original post here, as being an attempt to "slam" me, (as feeble as such any attempt actually was), it is clear we are dealing with yet another ASSA affiliated troll here.

Everyone else understands the need for a practical measurable scale on a target where practical...

Accordingly, as has been evidence by my lack of response to his ongoing attempts to instigate trouble here, it is best to follow conventional wisdom concerning these types of poster and simply....Don't feed the trolls.

JC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

Loud and clear.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Also, for anyone having any difficulty finding FREE targets, here is one of the best sources on the net...There are also of course tons of other alternative free sources out there...In particular for slug shooting though, I find the "large BR diamond" target with a clean 1" square grid across the face of the target to be an excellent choice. With the simple addition of a target distance description while posting the target on line anyone can easily discern actually group size.

JC

http://www.uspalma.com/Targets/targets.htm

Below is a list of all of the FREE printable targets available from the single page linked above.
Quote:
1 Inch BR SQ

1 Inch Diamonds

100 yard Load Development

1000 yard reduced for Mini-Palma

10 meter Air Rifle Target

15 Medium Circles

15 One Inch Diamonds

15 Small Circles

2 Inch BR SQ on Grid

2 Inch BR SQ

2 Inch Circles on Grid

2 Medium Diamonds

200 reduced for 100

200 yard Load Development Target

300 reduced for 100

5 Bulleyes

5 Stars A

5 Stars B

50 Meter ISU Target

50 Yard NRA

300 Yard Sight-in Target

6 Large Circles

600 reduced for 100

75 Foot NRA

800 Mini-Palma

900 Mini-Palma

Bullseye with Grid

Circles in Diamonds on Grid

Huge Circle on Grid

Inside Out Game

Large BR Diamond

LR BR Target

LR Scope Target A

LR Scope Target B

Med BR Diamonds

Med Circles in Diamond

Med Circles in SQ

Med Range BR Target

Medium Distance Scope Target

Scope Target Med A

Scope Target Med B

Scope Target Med C

Scope Target Med D

Scope Target Med E

Scope Target Med F

Scope Target Med G

Short Range Scope Target

Small BR SQ on Grid

Small Scope Grid

XL BR Diamond

XLong Range Grid A

Xlong Range Scope Target

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:33 pm 
Field Grade

Slugnut wrote:
roboslug,what type of shotgun did you use??

The shotgun is a Browning B-2000 auto with a smoothbore, 24”, open sights, slug barrel, the only shotgun I've ever had. I've always been intrigued by slugs, but only shot clay targets for over 30 years. But then I found a slug barrel and a place to compete on the web. Since then I've been searching for whatever edge that would bring a tighter group. Slugshooting for me has become very addicting. The B & P 1 oz slug is the most consistent slug for me (when I do my part). It is also the cleanest (virtually no leading) slug I have found. I believe this barrel prefers European slugs.

Roboslug

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next