CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Make our own 12 ga sabot for rifled barrel?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Gray BPI BLS-12 are officially discontinued as of mid-Feb 2010.
The new blue ones are beyond the horizon with no ETA.

The only choice is the Collett Cup Sabot out of NJ at $70/100 pc. ( $.70 ea) not cost effective)

I believe there are creative people out there that have played with making their own.
I have found low density poly-ethylene rods at 3/4" OD that are very reasonable in 4 ft lengths.
It seems that it would not be difficult to partially drill out a 1/2" cavity down a 1 1/3" length and then
saw down the tube to make the sabot arms. Then some other modifications

Anyone try this so far?

Post subject: Re: Make our own 12 ga sabot for rifled barrel?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

It's not quite that easy, the hole needs to be concentric with the OD. The OD is too large to fit in a 12ga hull or bore. The bottom of the hole needs to be flat bottomed, not tapered like the drill point.
I am machining Sabots from Delrin, and the equipment required is very expensive. I can make a nice run of 10K pieces, and they will still cost $.55 each.
Just for personal use, a CNC Lathe could be used, but slitting would be a separate operation. To make them economically a Screw machine is used. You can check out what Screw machines are capable of on YouTube.com
Greg
AKA 12 Bore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Greg-- I like to get in on some of those sabots if you can get a
bunch of guys together to take a run so you can afford to do it..Ed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have seen the DELRIN rods available. Or are you getting the tubing?
How does that compare to LDPE?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:09 pm 
Limited Edition

It is possible to make paper roll sabots (think about the brown paper roll tube in the center of a roll of toilet paper, paper towels, or more appropriately the really thick walled tubes in the center of newspaper rolls) at home that work very well.

On the down side it is extremely time consuming and takes a huge amount of effort to produce only a handful of sabots. On the up side tooling cost is only about $50 bucks and an equal investment in materials will last a life-time considering how long it takes to manufacture them by hand.

The process has been explained before on this forum - use the search function.

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:21 pm 
Field Grade

If I am correct use of the type of plastic you describe for a sabot has been done before.
It was used to make a sabot for a 50 cal. in line ML. It worked well, but had a down side of being very corrosive and you had to clean the barrel quickly after firing. A CNC mach. was used.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:46 am 
Presentation Grade

I use Delrin instead of HDPE. It is harder, stronger, and has a lower coefficient of friction. It also machines much better and doesn't melt as easily. It will not foul the bore like PE or HDPE, whicj can melt slightly in the bore. I could get some run for a higher cost than $.55 each if enough people got together. I believe I could put the deal together for 1000 sabots, they would probably be $.80 each.
If some poeple might be interested, let me know how many at that price, before I contact the manufacturer. It is barely enough to set up for. It is almost a prototype run. I have to pay a minimum charge before they will even setup the machine.
Greg
AKA 12 Bore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:18 am 
Diamond Grade

Greg, how does your sabot compare to the CCS?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:54 am 
Presentation Grade

My sabot is Harder and will take more pressure. It is 2X heavier, due to the desnity of Delrin. It will take longer bullets than the CCS as designed. The bullet I desiged it around is my .500" diameter 1.050 long hollow point. Other bullets could be used. The shank portion of the bullet is what limits the sabot to accepting different bullets without bulging. I have been working on my design to allow it to retain the bullet without sealer Glue or an overshot card. It works well as is with a tacky gasket sealer to retain the bullet. I have make a few dimensional changes that should keep the bullet seated without it.

I would prefer to make a seat, and load sabot, rather than a glue in. The concern is the people wanting to tinker with the sabot, I can't design a prodcut for every possible combination. The CCS was designed around the 325gr Barnes expander and works wonderfully. The concern I have is people using filler cards in my sabot, and the possibility of poor accuracy. My sabot works well, as long as it stays intact in the bore. Upon exit my sabot does not open like the BPI, it shears. The petals are designed to snap off at the muzzle.

Greg
AKA 12 Bore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:05 pm 
Diamond Grade