CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IAC model 1887
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just bought an IAC model 1887 lever action 12ga, for use on Pigs and at least once of course on Buffalo this Christmas.

I managed to put a few boxes of Remington and Winchester 1o/z Foster slugs and about 20 Lee 1o/z re-loads through a mates and it would put them all into 3” at 50m so I am looking forward to getting mine (it will take just over a month)

I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas for up grading it into a Slug thrower, as the sights are a little rudimentary for slugs and a scope is out.
I intend to have a presentation grade Turkish walnut stock made for it and I am going to try and have the magazine tube extended another 4” or so.

All in all however it will be nice to have a repeating shotgun again, after they took our auto’s and pump’s off of us back in 1996, god I miss my 1100 and 870. I understand that these things are already sold out for the next 2 shipments, I’m glad that I got in early :lol:

Post subject: re: IAC model 1887
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Last edited by jcchartboy on Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'd say you are definately going to need some rifle sights added.

I can't imagine life without a pump shotgun. :cry: I own three, and have an issued one that rides right next to me for 8 hours a day. {RO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:02 am 
Limited Edition

I don't know if you ever used a peep sight, I have a custom slug gun that I have a peep on and find it to be the cat's meow for close in fast shooting, really gets you back to instictive shooting, Great looking gun wish I could learn to do the lever always a problem for me, have lots of fun shooting your new gun. oaknut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:02 am 
Presentation Grade

oaknut has a very good suggestion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

If scopes are definitely out, you might want to contact Williams for the right Firesight, either open or preferably peep sight version. This one for an Ithaca 37 is similar to what you'll probably want, and at about $40.00 US Retail, it's a decent deal. If the 87 had a vent rib, there is a Universal that fits without gunsmithing, or if your existing sights are drill and tap mounted, then Williams will have a match for them. Most likely Brownells and perhaps Numrich can also help..........

100% SlugShooting, 100% Of The Time - Making a bigger up-close Impression than a .50 BMG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yep that might be a go, a scope is definitely out of the question as there is just no way to mount it. I would like to fit a rib but I feel that would alter the look of it too much, and raise the line of sight too much.
I will most likely load it with 1 Buckshot in the chamber and one on the feed tray and have the tube full of slugs so that I am set up for close encounters but be ready in a flash for long shots, the other interesting thing that I might try is loading slugs strait into the chamber as these guns don't try and feed a second round into the chamber if you do.
I am also thinking about having it threaded for tubes to improve the versatility of it a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

Try XS sights, they may have a sight that can be adapted. I adapted the Ashley type sight to my Ithaca 37, and it is superior to the others. I looked at Williams, used Redfield, and Lyman peep sights, and they are all too bulky and complicated. Greg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:23 am 
Tournament Grade

260rem, the 1887 may be the best option Australia ever saw depending on what you like.They handled 43000PSI with a triple powder charge behind 3 ounces of shot. Ed hubel is getting one to see what can be done with the 12gfh cases and maybe a heavy rifled barrel from pac nor with sabots.Could be pushing things to 577 nitro power.

I just heard you are getting some of these cases too?

Karl.
Brisbane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:53 am 
Tournament Grade

Yep I was hoping to get some by October to try out on Buff but I might have to rely on Lee key slugs for now. (bloody problems :x ) I would really like to make it a switch barrel set up but that’s another matter.
When I track down a Sabatti next year I want to try some 3” Brass cases and 670 round balls for some serious smooth bore stopping power on Pigs, maybe even 12-15 balls of SG buckshot with a big hunk of powder behind them :lol: