It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Keep It Friendly...Might Apply to YOU
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jim,

Contrary to your feeble attempt at humor, I do believe that there are sufficient erudite readers on this site . If you feel challenged with my posts I apologize.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

neophyte wrote:
Jim,

Contrary to your feeble attempt at humor, I do believe that there are sufficient erudite readers on this site . If you feel challenged with my posts I apologize.

Goshdarnit Neo, not again! Write for your audience! Or maybe you were, lol!

"Erudite": having or showing profound knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That's what I get for reading W.F. Buckley Jr.'s book "The Right Word".

I promise to behave myself. I was reaching for the dictionary almost every other page
when I read that piece. I will be honest I will give the readers here a lot more credit than the average audience. (Especially the ones that don't post but read the subject matter)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ignorance can be educated, but stupid can't be fixed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:16 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks again Quaid.

I apologize Neo. I hope that some day that I may propitiate you and you will exculpate me for my feeble attempt at humor. I realize I was not even being the slightest bit droll. I obviously need to work on my jocularity more. Anyone who cannot understand your impressively diverse vocabulary should go out and purchase a thesaurus.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not bad !
But then again "some people have a custom tailored suit and it still doesn't look
like it fits." I see your response fills that description.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:10 pm 
Limited Edition

Touché

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:10 am 
Field Grade

JimFromTN wrote:
Tisk Tisk

Pretty sure OIG meant that word to be "shifted" but with no edit function you're gonna get some accidental funnies.

Guess he won't be back to fix that, since I read on the ASSA forums today that he and a few others who've been "disagreeable" around here are permanently banned form the boards now. OIG posted a copy of an email he sent to SGW asking why they banned him without any prior warnings, suspensions, or whatever after him being a site sponsor here, a moderator, and generally hanging out at SGW since around 2004 or 2005. Seemed a mite harsh to me, too. NO NO DON'T BAN ME, I WAS JUST SAYIN'............ :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Slugger Two wrote:
JimFromTN wrote:
Tisk Tisk

Pretty sure OIG meant that word to be "shifted" but with no edit function you're gonna get some accidental funnies.

Guess he won't be back to fix that, since I read on the ASSA forums today that he and a few others who've been "disagreeable" around here are permanently banned form the boards now. OIG posted a copy of an email he sent to SGW asking why they banned him without any prior warnings, suspensions, or whatever after him being a site sponsor here, a moderator, and generally hanging out at SGW since around 2004 or 2005. Seemed a mite harsh to me, too. NO NO DON'T BAN ME, I WAS JUST SAYIN'............ :roll:

While I am unsure of the validity of the claim that anyone was banned, my perception was that OIG was engaging in recurring FORUM-TROLL activity. This behaviour is unbecoming of a member, a moderator, and even/especially a sponsor. If you read the rest of those posts on that other forum, you might have also noticed that the members were elated with how "civil" their thread was.

"Civility": politeness: the act of showing regard for others

Ironically, the posters in that thread were quite rude while declaring their civility. They made numerous personal attacks on certain members of this forum as well as bashing the SGW forum itself. Civility seems to have a different definition on that forum, something along the lines of not disagreeing with them or presenting arguments against ASSA. You should also take careful note of the other members who were involved on that other forum. Their activity over there may help you interpret the political activity that goes on over here.

I can be polite with someone but at the same time form an argument against what I see as a flawed and illogical idea presented by that person. This is not a personal attack, but an attack on the idea. Many (most?) people apparently have trouble removing the concept of their self worth and their identity from their ideas and beliefs. There is a distinction between them, and even if you have an ill-thought out idea or belief, you will have more ideas later that may be profound! Many people (myself included from time to time) also have trouble writing in a polite manner while scrutinizing a post. We should all work harder to be impersonal as authors (where appropriate).

To get back to OIG in particular, he responded to one of my posts in a surprisingly civil and well thought-out manner (which I was not expecting given the temperature on that particular SGW thread)...but completely ignored the majority of strong points in my argument. This tactic of distraction and persuasion is designed to sway the minds of less involved readers but does not hold up against more intense scrutiny. Heuristically, I may have been swayed by his calm demeanour when he replied to my post. A quick read of his reply may have also swayed me with its smooth flow or seemingly logical content. However, the point remains that I raised serious concerns about the foundation of what he is promoting and also of his credibility in the debate, and he ignored them completely. I interpret this as a concession: he didn’t give a rational response to my arguments...so such a response must not exist.

There is a great deal of snake oil for sale in this world. If snake oil is your thing, I have some bat ear dust that you may be very interested in. I had to wade through a lot of guano to collect it, so the price is high.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:45 pm 
Field Grade

Quote:
To get back to OIG in particular, he responded to one of my posts in a surprisingly civil and well thought-out manner (which I was not expecting given the temperature on that particular SGW thread)...but completely ignored the majority of strong points in my argument. This tactic of distraction and persuasion is designed to sway the minds of less involved readers but does not hold up against more intense scrutiny. Heuristically, I may have been swayed by his calm demeanour when he replied to my post. A quick read of his reply may have also swayed me with its smooth flow or seemingly logical content. However, the point remains that I raised serious concerns about the foundation of what he is promoting and also of his credibility in the debate, and he ignored them completely. I interpret this as a concession: he didn’t give a rational response to my arguments...so such a response must not exist.

Hi,

Trying to figure out how agreeing with you was not enough, the guy was supposed to agree with you more? Somewhere I thought you posted that you violently agreed with him? Moot point since he and some of his pals are gone, and sounds like you won't be going over where they hang out, so problem solved all around.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

He agreed with one point. If you don't read carefully, it is easy to miss the differences between what we were saying. After concluding that in that one regard we agreed, I pointed out that in the other regard we did not agree. He also never addressed the issue of his credibility, ie disclosure of interests. I understand why you may have been confused that, the differences were small. Small does not equal unimportant, since small differences can lead to large effects.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:38 pm 
Field Grade

Quaid wrote:
He agreed with one point. If you don't read carefully, it is easy to miss the differences between what we were saying. After concluding that in that one regard we agreed, I pointed out that in the other regard we did not agree. He also never addressed the issue of his credibility, ie disclosure of interests. I understand why you may have been confused that, the differences were small. Small does not equal unimportant, since small differences can lead to large effects.

Ok, I guess I get your point. His stuff seems credible to me, so I guess we'll only agree on some points too. Not sure what interests are an issue either. Seems clear he's running another slug shooting forum, so I'd guess he goes to sites like this to try to pull new members for his own deal. Enough guys here to help with that, I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:30 am 
Limited Edition

Some point fingers and never get caught with their negative comments about other's products(competition with others)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hiya, Luthan,

Surprised to see this thread come alive again after a year. Thanks for the comment, which sounded like it was generally positive toward me and ASSA. Staying away from here has proven to be a palliative for me and ASSA. Unfortunately our forums continiue to be plagued by hundreds of signup requests daily that come from web addresses in Russia and other like areas, making it difficult to wade through to find folks that legitimately want to join ASSA forums. Feels like leftovers from some helpful folks trying to wreck us last year, I suppose out of dislike for me and a severe aversion to letting contrary opinions survive on this forum. We get it, we got it, we'll deal with the fallout and generally stay out of your way around here. Meanwhile, to all the folks who did NOT object to me and/or the ASSA continuing to draw breath.....you're welcome to drop by to chat anytime, just be aware that you might have to email me directly to get forum access, what with all the bogus russkie signups cluttering the Admin's "Forum Access Approval Request" Inbox. Good Day, all... :D

100% SlugShooting, 100% Of The Time - Making a bigger up-close Impression than a .50 BMG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:16 am 
Limited Edition

Hey One Inch Group,
I have questions for you. Why hasn't anyone asked the following questions or do they already know the answers. When you stated that Russies continually try to get onto your site, do they do it over and over? Are there some who are good candidates for memberhip? Are the others connected to some distasteful site and how did they get your site? You don't have to answer if you don't want to. :shock: [color=#FF0080][/color]
Luthan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Luthan wrote:
Hey One Inch Group,
I have questions for you. Why hasn't anyone asked the following questions or do they already know the answers. When you stated that Russies continually try to get onto your site, do they do it over and over? Are there some who are good candidates for memberhip? Are the others connected to some distasteful site and how did they get your site? You don't have to answer if you don't want to. :shock:
Luthan

What we're getting is just hundreds of spam signups, email addys like "stoutrussiangirls@looking forfun.ru" or long lines of random letters as gmail accounts. Basically automated denial of service attacks aimed at wasting our time weeding them out. Slightly comical, slightly pathetic, mostly just another irritant left over from our attendance here before we moved on. Enough on that. Drop by our place and chat with us sometime, OK? We miss most of the folks on SGW, but have promised ourselves to stay away so as not to stir up some others who clearly don't want us around here.

100% SlugShooting, 100% Of The Time - Making a bigger up-close Impression than a .50 BMG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:16 pm 
Crown Grade

OneInchGroup wrote:
Feels like leftovers from some helpful folks trying to wreck us last year, I suppose out of dislike for me and a severe aversion to letting contrary opinions survive on this forum.

Classic....you come here to disparage the membership of this forum....blaming your own inability to control the content of your forum, (or lack thereof), on the members here...none of which have anything to do with your technical problems, or the general lack of interest in your organization as a whole...Then you have the audacity to attempt to claim that you "have promised yourselves to stay away so as not to stir up some others who clearly don't want us around here."

That statement in and of itself is proven to be untrue by the simple fact you are here making these baseless, confrontational, disparaging remarks about this forum in the first place! :roll:

Classic OIG at its best!

JC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:33 pm 
Field Grade

Temper gets you into trouble. Pride keeps you there. A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as your looking down, you cant see something thats above you.

-C.S. Lewis

We are not born great, influences in our life CAN help us there tho. Thanks to all those old timer, young timer, humble marksman.

JR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:07 pm 
Limited Edition

JC
I asked him why there was a bombardment from unusual, interested people,or,it sounds like something may have occurred which has put his ASSA forum on other sites which are not really interested in the ideas of this forum or his. Don't defraud someone's massive amount of experience.We may not buy into what others have seen or done for experience, but as a wise man once said "There is only one star in a constellation or maybe not at all"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:31 am 
Crown Grade

Luthan wrote:
it sounds like something may have occurred which has put his ASSA forum on other sites which are not really interested in the ideas of this forum or his.

You are 100% correct Luthan!

Not only is that what it sounds like...that is exactly what he is directly trying to falsely imply. More importantly, he is also falsely tying to imply that his "shining star" website is the poor little subject of these attacks as a result of some organized agenda directed by hostile agents affiliated with Shotgunworld. A claim that he obviously has absolutely ZERO factual basis to make whatsoever!

Here is the real facts...Every website with a chat forum on this planet is subject to intrusions by internet spammers! Neither "OIG" nor "ASSA" are any kind of unique shinning "Star" in that universe. The reality is the only thing unique about OIG/ASSA's this situation is #1.) that their site is so poorly constructed, and their moderation of it so lax, that even the most generic spammers can regularly compromise the site, and #2). Being the deceptive type of person OIG is, he is willing to this comet to this site and post solely to make these types of knowingly baseless claims in the first place!

Just to put this into perspective….Last night after reading his post I logged onto another hunting/shooting website that I Administrate to see how often access to the site was attempted by suspected spammers which we blocked. In the last two and half weeks alone, since I last cleared the spam filters…101 blocked spammers had attempted to access the site! More importantly, not a single spam message has appeared on our site during that time, nor have any others in the last four months!... All that, despite the fact that the site attracts over 20x the daily contributors that the ASSA site appears to attract. Finally, in the event that a spammer has accessed in the past two years…not a single spam message has lasted on the site for even a single day!...Why? Simple! As the Administrator of the site I do my job! I receive a copy of every message posted on the site directly to my email/blackberry and I scan every message within a few hours of receiving it. I ensure the content is appropriate. In the event that it is not…I delete it and immediately block the user. Simple as that!

In summation…OIG either has no idea what he is talking about when it comes the technological problems he has with his site, or he is knowingly lying when he is claiming that the problems he and ASSA are having are a result of actions taken by SGW membership!

JC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next