It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossy 500A
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:24 pm 
Field Grade

I have some questions that may have been asked several times over. If so I haven't found them in the threads. I have a Mossberg 500A. Came in the box with a matt finish 22 inch barrel with a bushnell scope. Its not ported either. Does anyone have any information on this barrel? or this shotgun kit?
I've been searching the net for the information but cannot find it.
Im looking for the twist rating so I have a general idea what slugs should perform best in it.

Post subject: re: Mossy 500A
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:36 pm 
Limited Edition

i believe it's 1-36

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:46 pm 
Field Grade

In that case the slower slugs should perform best. correct? I finally hope to get some range time tomorrow.

Has anyone used the muzzleloading barrel that comes with this shotgun? if so how well does it perform? Accuracy?

Post subject: Re: re: Mossy 500A
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:48 am 
Presentation Grade

sam2g70 wrote:
In that case the slower slugs should perform best. correct? I finally hope to get some range time tomorrow.

Has anyone used the muzzleloading barrel that comes with this shotgun? if so how well does it perform? Accuracy?

Don't bother with the muzzle loader barrel as it is not good.
Not enough twist rate to stablize well.
Other fault of this is not the barrel but the corisive matteral that get in to the reciver and don't say it won't as I found
out the hard way.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:52 pm 
Field Grade

Well tell me a bit more about the muzzleloading barrel. I didn't know anything about the corrosive material being blasted into the receiver. What is the twist rate of it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:49 am 
Tournament Grade

That muzzleloader barrel is a 1:26", right hand twist. With the newer propellants out these days (ie. Triple 7 and the like), muzzleloading propellants are no more corrosive than smokeless powder.

Guys using true black powder or pyrodex found out that the soot produced by blow back into a normal shotgun receiver is very corrosive and gets everywhere. My advice would be to use one of the newer, not as corrosive substitutes and make sure you clean it very, very well after firing it. I'm talking q-tip clean. It's not the greatest option in muzzleloading, but it is damn convenient.

Also, I'm currently using a 935 with the 24" fully rifled slug barrel with a 1:36" twist. The 2.75", 1.25 oz Remmy BuckHammers and the 3" Federals loaded with the Barnes Expanders are the best performers out of that.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:04 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the information on the Muzzleloading barrel. I will purchase one now. I don't need the best Muzzleloader available but by just purchasing a barrel I will have everything I need in one shotgun.
Can you recommend what ammo works best in your Muzzleloader? I have no clue about them but I have to start somewhere. How accurate is it?

The slug barrel I have performs great. I've fired some of the faster rounds (remmington core lokt sabot) and everything goes exactly where I want it. 50 yds. I still haven't been to the range to rezero. +2 inches @ 50yds. right now everything I fire is dead on at 50. I expect totally different performance when I start firing at the target @100yds.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:05 pm 
Field Grade

That is ok.. found my info :D