It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installing Chokes tubes in Fixed Barrels ???
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:25 am 
Utility Grade

Can any Gunsmiths in the Southeastern part of the USA install choke tubes in an older Browning Citori 12ga? Fixed Full and Mod now. Same question for SKB/Ithaca, 12ga ? Thanks for Your Reply... John R.

Post subject: Re: Installing Chokes tubes in Fixed Barrels ???
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I will vouch for Briley's in Houston or Mike Orlen, moderator of this forum. Others may be as good, but I know they are good from personal experience.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My first choice/recommendation would be Mike Orlen. He is good, fast and priced very competitively. He moderates the gunsmithing forum, here is a flyer for his services though the prices may be out of date.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36237

Call Mike (Do not email as he does not check that as much) and he can probably answer your question over the phone. My guess is yes on both the Browning and on the SKB, but Mike could confirm. If her can do it, ship the barrels to him (no need to send the entire gun).

If the barrels are too thin for Mike, than check with Briley. Briley is also very good, just much more expensive, and they will take quite a bit longer.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mike +1 and site members get a discount.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I also recommend Mike. I called him once. told him what Browning Citori that I had and he was able to tell me on the phone that he could not install chokes in the one that I had. He seems to know the bores of most Browning's and can save you some head aches by a simple phone call. In that case the only alternative was Briley Thin Walls which were much more expensive and said to be more prone to easily being damaged.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:48 am 
Presentation Grade

Like RKittine I have an older Miroku with barrels that have marginal wall thickness for choke tubes. Rather than taking the risk, I just had the chokes opened from F/M to M/IC.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JRidgeJr wrote:
Can any Gunsmiths in the Southeastern part of the USA install choke tubes in an older Browning Citori 12ga? Fixed Full and Mod now. Same question for SKB/Ithaca, 12ga ? Thanks for Your Reply... John R.

Mike Orlen installed Colonial Arms thin wall chokes in my Ithaca/SKB 600 and did a very fine job at a very good price. He's in Massachusetts, but the turnaround time was only about a week or ten days. I also had Briley install their thin wall chokes in my Ithaca 37 and have been very satisfied with the job. Their work is also very good, but costs considerably more, especially for a double barreled gun, and will take longer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:36 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks All, I will give Mike a Call...