CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 500 Jamming
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:20 pm 
Utility Grade

I have seemed to develop a jamming problem with my mossberg. I have been sighting in my shotgun using Light Field 2 3/4 slugs. When I was at the range this past weekend, I fired about 25 to 30 slugs through her and near the end it was harder and harder to eject the spent casing. Finally I couldn't even eject. The range officer tried and ended up having to remove the barrell to we could get casing out. I usually do a full cleaning after each fire so I doubt it's a dirt issue. Is it possible that the parts are heating up and expanding thus why it gets harder to eject? Could it be a problem with the Mossberg itself? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Post subject: re: Mossberg 500 Jamming
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

I had the same problem with a 500 just last week :x It was a brand new gun and there was no way to eject the shell after firing,I didn´t find out the cause,so I told the owner to take it back to the store and buy a 870 instead :wink:
Mannsi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

never had any problems with my Mossberg. I've fired at least a thousand rounds through mine. There's a thread on another website (someone will probably come up with it soon) and it shows how to polish the chamber of the barrel. I had to do about the same thing minus the break hone on my uncle's .17 cal. It had a little piece of brass that was jamming it. You had to take a knife to get the shell out after firing. After holding it in the sunlight I finally saw it and took a little rat tailed file and got it out of there. I then polished it further down to keep it from happening again. Might be the same problem with this one...might even be plastic!

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

You may have gotten some cardboard dust it the chamber. May be the chamber had a little rust or was not cleaned properly. I have used 500's for over 40 years and never had that problem. Remember to brake in a new gun barrel you shoot a few rounds then you clean it. You could have had some dirty shells and by fireing them. The dirt embedded in the chamber and made it hard to eject. And I have seen a few 870s do just this. So I would look real hard at how the gun was cleaned. You would be surprised at what a little dust can do in the right spot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:32 pm 
Field Grade

polishing the chamber and having the left and right rest spots for the extractor hooks carefully filed down can cure this.

not to be confused with filing down the extractor hooks but the rest spots on left and right side of the barrel.

it allows the extractors to better grip some round rim shotshells better.

what shotshells you using I had a horrible time with S&B
I have 3 Mossberg 500's and 1 Maverick 88 they all had the same problem this cured it. keeping the chamber polished and clean helps but allowing the extractor hooks to reach higher on the shell improved reliability with all shells made things much easier to extractor.

Post subject: Re: re: Mossberg 500 Jamming
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:36 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks I'll have to try that. I heavely cleaned the 500 to rule out dirt and went back to the range. This time it start binding up after slug number 6. By slug 8, I could barely eject the spent case. It sucks this happened before deer season. I ended up ordering a Remington 11-87 slug gun which should be in next week. I think i'll have a gun smith look at the Mossberg. It is about 13 years old. I have been using lightfield 2 3/4 slugs in it. Once I get the remington, I think i'm going to try Hornady SST's. I pluged the numbers for both Lightfield and Hornady into my ballistic software and it appears that the Hornady slugs have a flatter flight with more power delivered. Just wanted to keep everyone updated. Thank you all for you time and effort.

mrapathy wrote:
polishing the chamber and having the left and right rest spots for the extractor hooks carefully filed down can cure this.

not to be confused with filing down the extractor hooks but the rest spots on left and right side of the barrel.

it allows the extractors to better grip some round rim shotshells better.

what shotshells you using I had a horrible time with S&B
I have 3 Mossberg 500's and 1 Maverick 88 they all had the same problem this cured it. keeping the chamber polished and clean helps but allowing the extractor hooks to reach higher on the shell improved reliability with all shells made things much easier to extractor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Good grief man just use the force.