CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: converting a 2 3/4" 870 WM receiver to shoot 3 inch loads
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:26 am 
Limited Edition

Gander Mountain will do it. I wanted to give my local smith a shot at it only he told me that the 2 3/4" receiver cannot take the pressure of the 3" magnum. the smith at GM says nonsense and that the receivers are the same steel and can handle the same pressures. Can anyone who knows cast the tie breaker?

NRA Life Member

Post subject: Re: converting a 2 3/4" 870 WM receiver to shoot 3 inch loads
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:47 am 

....Gander Mountain is correct.....I might add that the pressures of a 3" shell are no higher than a 2 3/4" short magnum.....the 3" load is just slower with more shot....before you alter your receiver, put a "fired" 3" hull in your chamber and see if it will reliably eject.....you'd be surprised how many 2 3/4" guns will eject a 3" shell just fine.....if yours is one of these, just have the chamber lengthened .250"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:00 am 
Limited Edition

mike orlen wrote:
....Gander Mountain is correct.....I might add that the pressures of a 3" shell are no higher than a 2 3/4" short magnum.....the 3" load is just slower with more shot....before you alter your receiver, put a "fired" 3" hull in your chamber and see if it will reliably eject.....you'd be surprised how many 2 3/4" guns will eject a 3" shell just fine.....if yours is one of these, just have the chamber lengthened .250"

Thanks Mike. I got my answer.

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:11 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

TO add just a little to Mikes answer............

There is only one part needed (well 4 by the time the job is done) to change a 870 receiver from 2 3/4" to 3"

REMINGTON
870CT
Item No. 998540
Ejector, 12 Ga., 2-3/4" & 3" Mag

The other 3 parts are a new spring and the rivots, as they usually get destroyed replacing the ejector, even if it is only replacing a broken ejector

REMINGTON
870CT
Item No. 95190A or B
Ejector Spring, 12 Ga. Super Mag, 12, 16 & 20 Ga., 3" Mag Chamber

Rivot front 95140B

Rivot rear 74930C

(part numbers from Numrich Gunparets)

Beyond that, There is a recomendation to have the action reblued as the rivot heads are on the outside of the action, and are usually raised just a little bit.

So other then the 3 inch chamber the 12 ga 2 3/4 and 3 inch 870's are only part off from each other!

My dad started teaching me how to work on guns at an early age, so I now have more then 4 decades. rebluing is my base skill, repair is my joy.

I thank the Good Lord for My Abilities and my dad for the opportunity.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Actually, you don't need to replace the ejector, it can be modified pretty easily, but the Magnum spring is different and will have to be replaced if you have an old standard spring. Remington no longer even sells the standard spring.
Don't buy current parts from anyone but Remington. They are cheaper and charge way less shipping.