It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Still enjoying gunsmithing school(TONS OF PICS)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

A few months ago I made a thread about beginning gunsmithing school. Judging by the responses and PM's I received it seemed most enjoyed seeing the pictures.

In the next section of my schooling I went in to Machine Shop and learned to used a lathe and vertical mill. Please know that before this I had no experience with machinery, I think I picked it up pretty fast. My GPA after that section was a 3.5.

Here are some pictures of the projects. I will also write brief descriptions of what was done.

My first project was learning how to face to length on the lathe, and cut crowns.
The left two are recessed crowns, middle is an 11 degree target crown, and the right two are polished hunter crowns.

Member of Rose City Flying Clays

Last edited by TDKK on Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Still enjoying gunsmithing school(PICS)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

This next project I learned how to turn down to specified dimensions and cut 45 degree shoulders. This started out as a 1.250" piece of 1018 steel. I polished it to a 400 grit.

Then on a different piece of 1.250" steel I learned how to produce a taper by offsetting the tailstock.

For future reference we will call the first piece "Practice barrel 1", and the second one "practice barrel 2".

Last edited by TDKK on Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

I didnt get any assembled pictures of this little piece, but it is used in the tailstock of the lathe to hold a threading tap. It can also be used in lapping bolt lugs.
Everything pictured was made by me:

Here is a firing pin potrusion gauge I made. This one had a pretty tight tolerance level of .0000"-.0001". Got it!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

Time to learn how to thread. This piece also started out as a 1.250" piece of bar stock. Every step you see was turned down to the major diameter of the thread, then necking cuts were made to the minor diameter. everything was threaded to fit an exact nut.

This one is pretty easy to identify. This is the muzzle end of one of the practice barrels I made earlier. Notice the major diameter, and the minor diameter necking cut made in the rear. This was also threaded to fit. You can turn the muzzle brake on by hand 2/3rds of the way, and the rest of the way you have to use something to get a little leverage.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

In this next picture I am taking off the barrel of a Howa 1500. i will be using the action for later projects. A necking cut was made just in front of the action face on the barrel to the minor diameter of the threads. this removed the torque shoulder of the barrel and allowed me to unscrew the barrel from the action by hand.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nice work! I'm impressed!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

Here is my first attempt at learning to barrel an action. I used my Howa as the donor action. First step was turning down the major and minor diameters of the threads, then the thread extension was cut to an exact length. Also you can see that I cut a recess to clear the bolt head. Look familiar?:

I Threaded to fit, and the chamber cut to length required using headspace gauges. Rounded off the chamber edge, then polished the chamber. They had me use the No-Go gage as the Go-gage, and the Field-gage as the No-go. Basically they headspace was purposely cut long so I get to go back and fix it at a later date. If you can purposely make it long, you can purposely make it perfect.

Here is the action installed on the barrel with the bolt barely closing on the No-Go gauge. Crazy, I know:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:15 pm 
Crown Grade

I enjoy this thread....keep us posted....I wish I had the time to enroll in a part-time adult ed. machine shop program.....not the same as a true 'smith program but it comes close...it would be neat to construct some "homegrown" parts and accessories ...keep posting pics....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

Then my next project was doing the same thing to an Enfield action, but the threads are square instead of V-shaped. I also made the headspace long on purpose with this project too. It will be fixed on a later date.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

Time to play with real barrels. I took a Shilen #4 contour barrel blank and installed it to my Howa action. I chambered it for .308 Win and cut it to 24". For a crown I decided to go for a recessed crown. Sorry, no during pictures because the process is the same as the two before this.

Notice the pillars? I also made these out of aluminum bar stock:

You will be seeing a lot of this firearm in the future...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

I finished the lathe a few weeks back and moved into the welding portion on school. After finishing that I moved back on to a machine; the vertical mill.

The first project was making a simulated 1911 slide out of a piece of bar stock. I started this by facing off a piece of 1" bar stock to 4.600" in a lathe. Then moved over to the mill and began the learning process. First thing I did was cut the "side flats" onto the slide. I did this by cutting .050" off each side making the piece .900" wide. Then we turned it upside downa and cut .300" off the bottom to represent the area where it attached to the frame. The .300" was only cut a certain length on the slide, but I forget that dimension. Then I cut the ejection port to a specific dimension and finished off cutting a rear dovetail(not pictured)

The next project was taking that slide and cutting the rear to fit a bomar style sight.

Pic:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

Next project I moved back to the Enfield simulated barrel and installed sights on it.

After that I jumped back on to the lathe and had to correct the excess headspace from before. Now since I have sights installed I cant just remove a few thousanths. Without going into great detail on this I basically took .100" off the face, recess, and shoulder to set the barrel back into the receiver farther; if you are wondering why .100", it is because an Enfield is threaded for 10TPI. The end result they are looking for is the barrel to index with the sights exactly vertical. Then I had to go back and deepen the chamber again to the now roughly positive .094"-.097" headspace.

Jumping back to the mill I then cut a clearing for the extractor to go into. AKA a extractor cut.

Pic:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

The mill portion of class is usually about 2weeks long, I finished that in 1 week. So now I am finished with machine shop, but I still have 2 1/2 week minimum before I move into stockbuilding class.

Now normally they have little projects you can do for extra credit, but after looking at the blueprints for a while I decided I already knew how to build said projects, and I wasnt really learning any new skills. I came to the conslusion that it would probably be a good idea to put some more work into my Howa build to set myself apart so-to-speak.

Here is what I came up with, I wont go into great detail because if you have never used a mill you wont understand some of the things I say. But I can tell you I have learned many new things and although I got a little over my head becuase of the time constraints, I think it will work out.

If you look on the barrel here you will see two small barrel bands. These started out as 1" bar stock. The were turned down and believe it or not the inside diameter is actually slightly tapered. The more I learn...The front band is the beginning of a front sight, and the rear band is the beginning of a sling swivel.

Here is a big hunk of steel that was contoured to fit snug onto the barrel and barrel band. Everyone that walks by has some little snippet to say about how high it is, but none-the-less. The sling swivel and sight metal will be welded and contoured onto the bands, and the bands will be saudered to the barrel. The end result will look like the barrel and "accesories" were cut out of one piece of steel:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

Now since we have an open machine I have been trying to do the most "machine" work possible while I have the chance. I started on making some scope mounts that work with Talley QD rings.

These started out as hunks of steel, the bottoms were cutout to fit snug on the top of the receiver yesterday. I drilled them, counterdrilled them and installed them on the action. I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking:

Update: My first attempt at making scope mounts did not work out, but I learned a ton of new skills, and plan to give it another shot later. I do know where I went wrong, it was a silly mistake, but I would not have been happy with the end result. I also was not able to finish the front sight and the swivel because of going out of town, then moving in to stocks class when i returned. I definently want to finish these in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Moving into Stocks class I started with learning how to checker.

I had a feeling that before I even started checkering I would probably enjoy it. Didnt know if I had the skill, patience, or focus, but needless to say after the first attempt things have improved pretty quickly. I have to say I was right about enjoying it.

The first project was just learning how to space the lines. Please know that all I am doing here is "scratching" the surface deep enough for the tool to "catch" and ride in the groove. This is the first day I have ever checkered.

Most checkerers would mysteriously lose work like this, but here I am posting it for the world to see. I can pick things up pretty quick, but this is not easy...

Here is a pic of the layout:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Nice Post. It must be one of the top 10 this year. Great work. You look like you have a future in gunsmithing. {hs#

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

Now on to the next project. On this one I am just checkering a triangle pattern on a flat "proof". First step is to space the lines like above, then I go back behind myself and deepen the lines to produce the diamonds you all are familiar with. This took me about 4 hrs of non-stop work.

Laying out and spacing. Notice the "tops" are still flat:

Deepened and bordered:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Here is my second attempt at actual checkering:

To the trained eye it looks a lot better. And for the people that think I put a border around the first one to hide "run-overs", I left the border off on this one. The position of the second attempt changes around in this picture series, just remember that my first attempt has a border, and the second does not. This time took me 2-2 1/2 hrs of non-continueous work.

Laying out and spacing:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

This checkering sure is hard on curved work. Had a little discussion with a Chic Worthing, he said that checkering on stuff like this seperates the men from the boys. Its true!

I have to say after 2 weeks of non-stop checkering for 7 1/2hrs a day I am a little burned out. But in moderation I wouldnt mind...

Here is my 4th attemp on a pretty small diameter dowel. I really dont see where checkering on something this small applies in stock work, but I guess they figure if you can do this, you can deal with any stock.

Being a picky person this truly drove me nuts.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

On this project I developed a new technique to keep the lines straight. It worked very well for me.

Here I am in the process of spacing the lines. Just though tthis looked pretty cool:

Here it is almost finished. Just need to deepen the lines a little further, and clean it up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next