It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glass bedding a shotgun's butt and forearm?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi All,

I did a search and didn't find any info . . .

I am about to seal the wood interior surfaces of my new Citori Feather 16ga with thinned Acraglas (as suggested by some of our esteemed members here) to prevent water, oil, etc. from penetrating into the wood.

I thought I had read somewhere that some people glass bed their shotgun's to achevie the ultimate in wood longevity, especially for frequently shooting heavy hunting loads. I think the bedding idea is oriented to making the stock as strong and stable as possible to reduce the chance of cracks in the wood many years down the road.

Can anyone tell how such a procedure is done? I am thinking with just a little more effort, my sealing procedure could become a bedding procedure.

Thanks.

--twofer

Post subject: re: Glass bedding a shotgun's butt and forearm?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Good idea. Why not do it?, you're in there making a mess anyway. :)

The buttstock inlet area I would focus on is that island of wood at the back, with the drawbolt hole going through the middle. It bears up against the receiver's vertical piece and a perfect expoxy bedding there will better manage the gun's recoil into the buttstock to help protect against cracks and breaks.

Use Johnsons Paste Wax as your release agent, really coat the metal in it. Also coat the finished wood exterior with the paste wax, it'll protect the wood too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:30 am 
Presentation Grade

As for stock protection. Ultimately, you need deterrent moisture yet the wood still should be able to breathe. Rub in a thin coat of modified oil based finish every now and then should be all you need.
I wouldn't glass bed it if it was my gun, you will end up with a odd colored line between the stock and the receiver. not to mention voiding the warranty.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:27 am 
Presentation Grade

Buzz,
This isn't rifle bedding for accuracy, where we often see that brown line of bedding. No bedding material should be inbetween wood and metal on the exterior.

I'm not a professional stocker but advice of the bedding of the shotgun reciever's major recoil bearing area comes from several pro's.

IIRC the process is discussed in SD Hughes book; Fine Gunmaking, and in several of the GSmith Kinks books.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:42 am 
Crown Grade

Glass bedding a shotgun stock is useful to insure that there are no gaps in wood to metal fit by filling in any low spots. It should not be visible where the wood was previously touching metal.

If used properly some wood is exposed so I do not consider it an effective sealer for the end grain in the wood. I use thinned finish for that.

Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:16 am 
Field Grade

It sounds like 2 issues here:

1) sealing the wood
2) bedding the stock

Referring to the S. D. Hughes article in "Shooting Sportsman" regarding stock finishing and sealing, you might consider 2 steps.

1) flood the stock with Laurel Mt Forge Permalyn Sealer (it is almost as thin as water) for as many coats as it will absorb. It will penetrate the wood well and seal it. Permalyn is also very hard once dried.

2) then Acraglas as a bedding material

Post subject: Re: re: Glass bedding a shotgun's butt and forearm?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:55 am 
Presentation Grade

yeti wrote:
Buzz,
This isn't rifle bedding for accuracy, where we often see that brown line of bedding. No bedding material should be inbetween wood and metal on the exterior. I'm not a professional stocker but advice of the bedding of the shotgun reciever's major recoil bearing area comes from several pro's.

Gotcha! That's put it in that perspective, you mean to reinforce and increase the contact surface where stock and action make contact.............like a bedding rifle just not where is exposed and visiable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just to follow-up:

I pulled off the stock to do the bedding job, and found that it had already been bedded at the factory.

Thank you Browning.

--shinbone

Post subject: Re: Glass bedding a shotgun's butt and forearm?
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:55 am 
Limited Edition

Hello all, I'm in the middle of refinishing a sidelock sxs shotgun, and unfortunately the wood to metal fit behind the locks and tang aren't the greatest. I'd like to bed the head stock with the metal, but I'm weary as to how to go about it, particularly the lock plates with all their moving parts. Id like to fill the voids behind the locks and I'm concerned about bedding a moving part on the lock!! Which we all know would not be good... Anyone ever done this before? I'm not confident that the release agent would cover and work terribly well on the inside of the locks. I'm only wanting to bed around the edge of the lock plates where they meet the wood, but still am worried some may squeeze out and surround a screw or something. Would the Johnsons wax work better for a release agent than what came with my bedding kit? Just looking for a bit of advice.

PS, the kit I've got is called Miles Gilbert Bedrock, essentially the same thing as AcraGlass
Thanks,

"No FREE man shall ever be debarred the use of Arms"
-Thomas Jefferson-