It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Citori - Complete Receiver Tuneup - With Pics
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thank you for the excellent write up and education!

Danny (#1 Dallas Cowboys fan)
NSCA 644679
ATA 1215927

Caesar Guerini Challenger-grade Impact

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:07 am 
Field Grade

This is an excellent write up. I have a 325 that is opening sometime when it fires. I need to replace the latch. Do you have any information on how to do that?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Billoti wrote:
This is an excellent write up. I have a 325 that is opening sometime when it fires. I need to replace the latch. Do you have any information on how to do that?

Call a gunsmith. Specifically call Doug Braker: http://dougsgunsmithshop.com/

That part is not as simple as it may seem to replace. It needs to be fitted and Doug can often repair the lock bolt for the same or less than the cost of the replacement part. Further, he can tell you if there are some other issues that need to be addressed. Sometimes there are other worn parts than just the lock bolt when a gun shoots open.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:42 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you for this post.....and forum.

I just did this procedure to my 1965 Superposed 20 GA that was giving me about 50% lite primer strikes on the bottom barrel. Ordered all the hard parts from Browning....and got the upgraded springs from jnpgunsprings.com

I enjoy working on my own guns....and this information gave me the confindence to dig into my old Browning. Wasn't hard to do simply following the OP's directions.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:49 am 
Tournament Grade

I know I'm getting on this issue a little late, like a year! But I think you identified the possible problem I had with a Browning 425. There was a delay between trigger pull and the hammer hitting the primer. It would do this anywear from 2 to 5 times in a round of clays. Sent the gun to two well know gunshops and two local shops. No problem detected during their 5 or 6 test shots. I sold the gun cheap, and let the new owner know up front about the problem. I think the problem was the ejector trip rod attached to the lower hammer. If it was severly bent and had a lot of drag, could that have possibly caused the delay firing?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:58 pm 
Utility Grade

Is there a video out there on how to do this cleaning?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just a bit of a tip. I found it easier to install the hammer striker springs by putting a few small thin washers under the spring at the hole in the rear of the receiver. This helps keep the spring central and stops it from sliding about while compressing the pin and spring. The washers will slide out from under the spring once they are in position.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Found this thread by accident and it was just the help I needed to replace springs etc on my XT Trap. Thanks for posting

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:15 pm 
Field Grade

Just gathering the parts necessary to do this tune up... What size punch will I need for the pins? Also can anyone help me with how to replace my top lever spring?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:01 am 
Limited Edition

Great info! Thanks!

I just did a complete tune up on my 425. Replaced the hammer springs, firing pins, and the locking bolt. Parts were $70.90 from Browning, much cheaper than Midway or Brownells. It was easy and it is tight as new. Took about an hour with fitting locking bolt and cleaning.

No wear and everything looks good for another 14 years.

I wish I had thought about taking pictures, but when the parts came I just jumped on it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Used this excellent write up to do J&P springs and pins on a Citori lightning. A while back, I had a hard time getting the trigger pin out of a hi power pistol, bought a kind of disposable screwdriver bit set from harbor freight to use as punches with a small arbor press, and it worked great. Long story short, the largest cupped bit in this set fits the hammer spring guide heads (and the guides in the forearm) well. The full set was a few dollars on sale, part number 68459, if you don't want to grind your own (I was going to do just this).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:44 pm 
Utility Grade

I just bought a used browning citori that was functioning fine. However after dry firing it, I can't get the gun to function anymore.

I've been searching blogs about the potential problem and ended up here. I think it is related to the hammers within the receiver. Or the receiver itself not re-setting.

Please if anyone knows about the Browning Citori trigger mechanism, contact me. I've spent at least 5 hours trying to research this problem and I feel that due to my lack of experience w/ o/u shotguns I may be missing something easy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:44 pm 

Ok, here ya go:

A Browning Citori will not cock the hammers if the forearm is not on the gun.

A Browning Citori will not dryfire the second barrel unless you either firmly bump the stock to simulate recoil or switch the barrel selector to the other unfired barrel.
The opening lever must be held to the right of a fired citori to fit the barrels back onto the receiver.
Once the barrels are refitted/installed and forearm attached and locked, the action must be unlocked with the lever and the barrels lowered to the fully open position to cock the hammers and latch the lever to the right.
Lubricate the joint of the barrel and the receiver as well as the curved part of the forearm iron with a good grease. Keep fooling with it dry and you will gall the mating surfaces.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Curly-Nohair wrote:
A Browning Citori will not dryfire the second barrel unless you either firmly bump the stock to simulate recoil or switch the barrel selector to the other unfired barrel.
Just moving the safety on and back off again will allow dry firing the other barrel. No need to bump the stock or switch to the other barrel.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:16 pm 
Utility Grade

Sorry for a question on an older thread..

This is an excellent resource!

I had a trip rod break. When I replaced it, I noticed that it seemed to have a slight camber to it. The note you had in your writeup also says that it wasn't straight from the factory.

I used a torch to lightly heat and slightly bend the rod to be straighter.. It slides very freely now in it's channel and appears to be almost too lose on the hammer pin. My question:

How easily should the trip rod move? I don't have a factory citori reciever to compare to any longer. In relative terms, on a fully-assembled receiver, with the hammers not cocked, should I be able to slide the trip rod with just my finger? and should it be pretty easy to do so?

Thanks for any help, in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

mnclayshooter wrote:
Sorry for a question on an older thread..

This is an excellent resource!

I had a trip rod break. When I replaced it, I noticed that it seemed to have a slight camber to it. The note you had in your writeup also says that it wasn't straight from the factory.

I used a torch to lightly heat and slightly bend the rod to be straighter.. It slides very freely now in it's channel and appears to be almost too lose on the hammer pin. My question:

How easily should the trip rod move? I don't have a factory citori reciever to compare to any longer. In relative terms, on a fully-assembled receiver, with the hammers not cocked, should I be able to slide the trip rod with just my finger? and should it be pretty easy to do so?

Thanks for any help, in advance!

My rods were very hard to push in (needed a tool) until I bent them straighter, then they went in with a finger pretty easy. Don't think they should be sloppy loose but they don't have to be super tight either, easy finger push in was just right for my gun.

Bill Wood
NRA Patron Life Member
NSSA/NSCA Life Member