CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1966-1967 Savage Fox BSE SxS broken forearm screw - Advice?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:31 pm 
Utility Grade

A month ago, I acquired a pre-serial-number (1966 or 1967) Savage Fox B-SE 12ga for $300 to use as a basic trap gun and eventually a chukar gun. First time out, after running 50 shells through it, the shoulder stock came a bit loose, but nothing that couldn't be remedied by re-tightening the bolt that holds it in place.

Second time out, 20 shells into a line, the forearm breaks loose. After some investigation, I find that one of the screws that holds the wood beavertail on to the metal forend has snapped off. The part that broke is screw #47, which attaches the beavertail (#46) to the forend (#41) in the following diagram:

The screw broke off completely, with the lower part still in the forend screw hole. It also seems to have slightly bent the threaded hole for the screw in the forend. The old trick of grinding a slot into the top of the screw nub and trying to back it out doesn't work. It's really wedged in there.

I may eventually just take the thing to a gunsmith to have it fixed, but I have a few questions for those more knowledgable about these things than I am:

1) Is there some kind of easy fix that I'm missing here? I supposed I could try drilling it out, filling it with JB Weld, and re-tapping it, but I don't have a drill press.

2) Is it fixable at a reasonable cost? I don't want to spend a lot of money fixing a $300 gun.

3) Why would something so basic to the function of the gun break off like that? Should I be more worried?

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

Post subject: Re: 1966-1967 Savage Fox BSE SxS broken forearm screw - Advi
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would not think that screw had any stress on it.
As long as you got it apart, attempt it yourself.
I would guess it was possibly rusted in or someone along the line over tightened it.
Can you find a replacement screw?
I know the grommet the screw set in, in the wood is a hard to find part.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:59 am 
Utility Grade

After doing some research, I've discovered that forearm problems on early model BSEs are common. The one piece forend combined with the screw alignment causes the thing to come loose and can cause damage. Savage later switched to a two-piece forend with a different screw alignment to resolve this problem. See this thread also:

viewtopic.php?t=48938&highlight=

That doesn't help me fix it, but at least I know the source of the problem.

There's no rust anywhere on the gun, let alone around the screw that broke. It may have been overtightened, but it looks much more like it failed under shearing stress. I don't have a replacement screw and nobody seems to carry them. Fortunately, the wood forearm is undamaged. The brass screw grommet seems to have protected it. Since I lack the machine tools necessary to drill the screw nub out, I guess I'll just have to take it to a gunsmith. Anybody know a good one in the Seattle area?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:25 pm 
Crown Grade

I've done it more than a few times, w/o "machine tools".

I use a centerpunch to make a small dimple in the center (as near as possible by eye) of the broken screw's shank (first solidly support the forend iron).

I then use a hand drill, fitted with a small diameter drill bit - one that will remove most of the screw shank's "meat", w/o touching the forend iron's threads.

After the bulk of the shank is gone, the remaining threads can usually be removed with a narrow chisel, picking the shank threads out of the forend iron threads, w/o damaging the forend iron/threads.

Last edited by CriscoKid on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:14 pm 
Utility Grade

Ok guys, does anyone know many threads per inch and screw size? I may have to have one made for me.I have the same problem with the forarm screw on my Savage Fox 20 gage. Someone should make or buy a grose of the screws and make money on them. They are really needed. Your help out there is appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi You can get the screw from Numrich at least i did, the forend iron is aluminum ugh! if i couldn't have gotten a new screw i was just going to tap it for a bigger thread, say 10/32 and reduce the head to fit in the gromet. hope this helps! John