It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Barrel Service & Stockbending - 20% discount for SW Memb
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:21 pm 
Field Grade

remus wrote:
Michael, I requested info on getting a choke tube installed in a rem. 410 barrel. You sent my your price list and I sent $75.00 for the work and mailing. My question is did I miss something and owe you more money. The installation was fifty five dollars, no mention of tube to be installed cost unless I just overlooked something.

If I owe you more let me know soon as you can so I can send it to you.
Kelly McDowell

I doubt he'll reply here. Calling him seems to work better.

Not sure how long ago you sent yours in, but I also had a 410 with tubes installed and I mailed it in back in early June and just got it back this week. I called him a couple weeks ago and apparently the 410 choke tubes were backordered or delayed for some reason.

Cost of threading is $55, tubes are $29 each, and then return shipping is $20, so looks like you would owe him a bit more. I'd call his shop. He never returned my messages I left on the machine, but when I caught him at the shop he answered my questions quickly. He seems to be more of a worker than a talker/customer service guy.

No problem with that at all.

Work was top notch. I'll be using him again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Sent a set of older ( 50 years plus ) Ithaca SKB 12 ga OU barrels to Mike on Tues Sept 29 along with letter requesting conversion of both barrels to choke tubes. The converted barrels along with four choke tubes were delivered back to me ( in CT ) by UPS on Friday Oct 2. Needless to say I was completely blown away by Mike's one day turn around. Mike was able to fit the SKB with standard Colonial Tru-tube chokes instead of the usual thin-walls which looks to have required very precise piloting and control in the reaming operation. Outstanding craftsmanship and turn-around. Pricing and labor discounts were as per Mike's 2013 sheet at the beginning of this thread. Thanks Mike !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

Add me to the cadre of Mike Orlen fans. Shipped him my barrel last Wednesday, had a quote via email from him on Sunday, paid electronically on Monday, and had my barrel back by Wednesday. Can't wait to see how his lengthened forcing cone and choke opened up to IC helps me in the grouse woods.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:39 am 
Crown Grade

I mailed Mike a barrel on October 14 and it was back to me on October 22. It was a barrel off of a 410 pump youth gun with a fixed mod choke, and he sent me skeet and mod for it. The boys will be much happier shooting skeet now!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

Here is a strange one. I have a shotgun barrel that is bent. It is a Remy model 11 with what I think is a factory installed Polychoke. It was my skeet gun for five years and I did well with it. Then one day I missed each and every shot! Upon inspection I noted that the Polychoke was bent down and it shot about two feet low at 25' or so! I found a new/used barrel but darn it all, I find that I shoot better with the Polychoke because it is easier to "point" for some reason.

Can you straighten my Polychoke? I called them and they said they'd put on a new one, but the old one is fine, just bent down.

Last edited by stepmac on Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Barrel Service & Stockbending - 20% discount for SW Members
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you are waiting for Mike to answer you here, you will be waiting a long while.

Take the barrel off the gun, wrap it in some padding and shove it in a mailing tube, addressed to Mike, using the address on his price list.

Be sure you include a note with your name, address you want it mailed back to, phone # and email address. Explain what is wrong with the bbl, and what you want to use the gun for.

He will call or write what it will cost, and you can arrange payment. You will not find better work at any price, nor a lower price anywhere, so the only question is, is the gun worth salvaging to you?

It's obviously a boat anchor in its current condition. You couldn't even sell it, at least not with a clear conscience.

The easiest thing to do would be to have him cut off the Polychoke and any part of the bbl that is damaged. Then you'd have a cylinder bore, which is perfect for Skeet.

He'd stick a new bead on the end if you want, and you'd be back in business for probably about $50 + shipping.

First question is, is there enough straight bbl left to salvage?

Second question to ask yourself is do you want to go fancy and have the bbl threaded for choke tubes, or a new Polychoke installed, instead of going with the CYL?

Third question to ask yourself is do you want any "improvements" made, such as elongated forcing cone, mid bead, etc? Now would be the time to do it, if ever.

You'll be happy with Mike's work; everyone is.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Does anyone know if the 20% discount applies to the chokes itself? I want to pick up 2 skeet and 1 IM chokes for my 20 gauge SKB. I don't know if I send in the check do I take 20% off the price as listed for sporting clay extended tube.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bmwguy wrote:
Does anyone know if the 20% discount applies to the chokes itself? I want to pick up 2 skeet and 1 IM chokes for my 20 gauge SKB. I don't know if I send in the check do I take 20% off the price as listed for sporting clay extended tube.

Thanks.

Discount is for labor only.

The guy is giving us a great deal. Don't expect to beat him out of every nickel. He can't be making much on the tubes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

16ga. barrels are on the way

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:47 pm 
Field Grade

NEF 10 Gauge - Thinking of having the forcing cone worked over by him.
Anybody had it done? Am I stupid for thinking of it?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:57 pm 
Utility Grade

I just wanted to give Mike another thumbs up from a satisfied customer. Sent my old highschool (1976) Winchester 101 in to have the mod/full O/U opened up to shoot skeet. Also had the forcing cones lengthened. Came back quick, patterns are great, it's nice to be able to use that 40 year old gun every week.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:07 pm 
Utility Grade

Does Mike do work on damascus barrels?

I have 30" barrels choked full and full, would like 28" barrels choked imp cyl and modified.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:05 am 
Utility Grade

So if I wanted this done it'd be $45 to cut 2" + $45 per barrel to open the chokes + $12 shipping? This sound right?

Just want to make sure before I send.

Post subject: Re: Shotgun Barrel Service! at Wholesale Prices for Members!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:01 pm 
Crown Grade

sjones wrote:
If anyone is thinking about any barrel work, this is the man you should have do it. He does excellent work at real reasonalble prices. He also gets it back to you in little time.

Are you saying we really CAN have it

FAST, CHEAP, and GOOD

??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello All. Per the consensus of opinions here I just mailed my beloved 1100 20ga. LT barrel to Mike. I requested he cut the barrel and thread it for the SKB, Winchester, Mossberg 500 chokes. As most have done I will give a review upon its return. Its just an uncomfortable feeling sending something valued to someone you can't communicate with. Time will tell.

Blessings

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Sorry for the delayed response, but good news. I mailed the barrel to Mike on the 14th and it was back at my house in TX. seven days later. Barrel cut and threaded. Very good work for a very modest price. Thanks again Sir.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:33 pm 
Field Grade

can the thin walled choke tubes be used for steel shot or only lead?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mike Orlen installed Colonial Arms, Inc. thin wall choke tubes for lead shot only in my Ithaca 600 O/U. I don't know if he offers them, but Colonial Arms also makes a 12 gauge thin wall tube in several constrictions that is suitable for steel shot.

http://www.colonialchokeandtool.com/col ... per-steel/

If Mike doesn't sell them, you could probably have him thread your barrel for the Colonial thin walls, then order the steel shot choke tubes directly from Colonial Arms. Phone him and find out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:08 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you for the information.

Does Mr Mike only thread barrels for Colonial arms chokes? I have many, many benelli/Beretta mobil chokes from other guns I own. Could he thread a barrel to accept these chokes seeing as I already have so many of them?

lossking wrote:
Mike Orlen installed Colonial Arms, Inc. thin wall choke tubes for lead shot only in my Ithaca 600 O/U. I don't know if he offers them, but Colonial Arms also makes a 12 gauge thin wall tube in several constrictions that is suitable for steel shot.

http://www.colonialchokeandtool.com/col ... per-steel/

If Mike doesn't sell them, you could probably have him thread your barrel for the Colonial thin walls, then order the steel shot choke tubes directly from Colonial Arms. Phone him and find out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You'd have to call him to find out: (413) 256-1630

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next