It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brett 391 forearm "spreader"
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:46 am 
Presentation Grade

Life is so full of surprises! I have an absolutely beautiful stock set that I am restoring. After sanding the comb down to my dimensions, proceeded to stripping. After the first stripping, it was apparent that the stock had been stained. Where I had sanded there was no stain, but the rest was still very dark. Tried staining again and it made only a slight difference. Decided to do an acetone and alcohol soak. After a few hours, went to look at my prize and to my surprise, the metal band towards the rear (I'll call it a "spreader") was not metal at all. Must be some sort of plastic because it had totally melted into a black gooey blob. After wiping off, put it back to soak. Now, I'm trying to find out if this is a replaceable part or not. I don't find it on any schematic of this gun. Has anyone else had this experience or am I the only one in the world??!!
Any input will be greatly appreciated! Bill

HAPPY 4TH !!!

Post subject: Re: Brett 391 forearm "spreader"
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

I think this is what your describing...https://www.colegun.com/collections/ber ... leeve-12-g.

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

this brace helps control splitting of the rear of the forearm. Replace it with fiberglass cloth saturated with epoxy. This can held in place with masking tape until the epoxy sets.. Use fiberglass cloth..not matt...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:36 am 
Presentation Grade

Clayshooter, thanks for your input. The part in question is not shown on that schematic. The metal piece shown at the rear actually slides all the way up to the front but is inserted at the rear.

GunNut: your fix makes good sense. Guess that part is not available. Is a single layer of cloth enough? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

I took the fore end off my 391 to actually see what your talking about. It looks like it would do very little, I think you could fashion it from any flexable plastic and then epoxy it in, or like GunNut said about fiber glassing it.

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

I was amazed that it wasn't metal. Seemed like something that would hold the forearm open to the correct size to fit the barrel profile. I guess it would be important that fit was correct before epoxying anything in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just use the depth of the groove to determine whether to use 1 or 2 layers fiberglass cloth. Bet 1 would do it..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

gunnut69 wrote:
this brace helps control splitting of the rear of the forearm. Replace it with fiberglass cloth saturated with epoxy. This can held in place with masking tape until the epoxy sets.. Use fiberglass cloth..not matt...

[color=#0040FF]Do you (or anyone else) have a source for small amounts of good epoxy laminating resin, something like West System epoxy or its equivalent?

2 ounce cloth is available on Amazon but no very small quantity of good epoxy resin/hardener.color]

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Sorry its been so long but I've not been online for awhile. I have used with success the fiberglass cloth sold to patch auto bodies and a 2-part resin called DEVCON. Acraglass by Brownells would also work just fine.. The part is not available as it is not installed as much as fabricated. It is to help control splitting in thin wood..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks gunnut. I did determine from Beretta that this is not an available part. Just considered part of the forearm. I "attempted" to use the fiberglass with a two part epoxy. Turned into a cluster. My bad! Let the epoxy get WAY too dry. When I tried to put the glass in place everything started sticking together. Quickly pulled the glass out and mixed up more epoxy. Filled the grove with just epoxy. Seemed to work ok. Think it will be fine. Thanks again.