It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chamber Brush For Semi Auto Shotgun
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:33 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm looking for a brush to be used in cleaning the chamber on my semi auto shotgun. Most of the chamber brushes I've found state not be be used on semi auto shotguns. Can anyone suggest a chamber brush that can be used in semi auto's?

Post subject: Re: Chamber Brush For Semi Auto Shotgun
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What about a 10ga bore brush?

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:40 am 
Tournament Grade

Mmmmmm I'll have to look at that. Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That's what I use, sometimes wrapped with steel wool

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:54 am 
Tournament Grade

[quote="Darryle"]That's what I use, sometimes wrapped with steel wool[/quote
Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Brass brush wrapped with 0000 steel wool on a cleaning rod chucked into a drill. I find WD 40 works best for this one and only job concerning gun cleaning.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:36 am 
Crown Grade

USMC1963 wrote:
I'm looking for a brush to be used in cleaning the chamber on my semi auto shotgun. Most of the chamber brushes I've found state not be be used on semi auto shotguns. Can anyone suggest a chamber brush that can be used in semi auto's?

What brushes and why can't they be used on a SA?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:34 am 
Crown Grade

[quote="USMC1963"]IMost of the chamber brushes I've found state not be be used on semi auto shotguns.

:arrow: That's a first for me? :shock:
Never seen that ever on any brush I've used.
And since the chamber is 99.99999 % the same on any shotgun action type.
*is there a reason you can't use some chamber brushes on an auto-loading shotgun and why??? :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:36 am 
Crown Grade

Exactly my question wb......................................

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:47 am 
Crown Grade

Alright, after having actually looked up specifically "chamber Brushes" (somehow, I've managed to successfully survive 35 years of shotgunning WITHOUT them, pumps, semi's, and stackbarrels), THIS ONE sale "No-Semi-auto's".
http://www.proshotproducts.com/Shotgun- ... c_124.html

It is however for doubles and single-barrel guns (which tells me break-actions).

I suspect that shorty handle is not a good work with what can be a 3 or 4 inch Barrel Extension on a Pump or S/A.

I'll bet that somehow I and my shotguns survive another 35 yrs (at least) w/o such a specialty tool to lighten my wallet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Probably because of what the brush is made of, they are afraid it could possibly jam up the works?

Noticed that they only listed crack barrels, possibly they don't think the Pump/Semi-Auto crowd is going to disassemble just to clean the chamber? ImageImage

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:49 am 
Diamond Grade

Not to use in a Semi-auto? Maybe this is because they think the average Joe isn't going to disassemble the gun to clean the chamber and possibly something foreign may be left behind. I wouldn't hesitate to use on on the wife's A-400.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:40 am 
Crown Grade

I wouldn't hesitate to use one either, not that I'm going to waste $20 or worse on one.............

Quote:
Maybe this is because they think the average Joe isn't going to disassemble the gun to clean the chamber

Just how is it you clean the chamber of an assembled pump or semi?

Since the barrels come off quite easily, I have never had to 'fight them' like I do my B.A.R. or 10/22 through the ejection port (or down the muzzle).

Yea,, "Bore Snakes".. I know about them,, and I am not particularly a fan.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

Darryl,

Thanks for the post, just place an order for four brushed, one 12 ga for me, a 12, 20, and 28 as stocking-stuffer for a friend.

In regards to cleaning the chamber, if there's another way to do something a knot-head will do it. The average sportsman probably never disassembles his auto or pump other than to run a brush and patch through it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:30 am 
Crown Grade

Still don't understand the rationale for not using on a SA?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:10 am 
Diamond Grade

I'm going to use it on my wife's A-400.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:08 am 
Crown Grade

[quote="Darryle"]
Noticed that they only listed crack barrels, possibly they don't think the Pump/Semi-Auto crowd is going to disassemble just to clean the chamber?
:idea: Strange thinking if so?
I've shot either a pump or mostly autos since the early 1960's and always removed the barrel to clean it...........didn't know there was another way to do it? :?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, what I meant was that most if not all will not disassemble just to clean the chamber, they will be doing a deep cleaning of the shotgun.

That and the fact it is possibly oversized and they don't want to have to deal with those that will try to clean a chamber from the muzzle and possibly cause damage.

I have always used Kroil and a 10ga bore brush (or the next ga up) on the last section of a 3 piece cleaning rod chucked in a cordless drill. LPS is another good solvent/cleaner for bore/chamber cleaning. If I am polishing or cleaning a stubborn chamber, then I have several brushes prewrapped with 0000 steel wool. Brushes are cheap, shotguns not so much.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:28 am 
Crown Grade

Darryle wrote:
Well, what I meant was that most if not all will not disassemble just to clean the chamber, they will be doing a deep cleaning of the shotgun.

That and the fact it is possibly oversized and they don't want to have to deal with those that will try to clean a chamber from the muzzle and possibly cause damage.

I have always used Kroil and a 10ga bore brush (or the next ga up) on the last section of a 3 piece cleaning rod chucked in a cordless drill. LPS is another good solvent/cleaner for bore/chamber cleaning. If I am polishing or cleaning a stubborn chamber, then I have several brushes prewrapped with 0000 steel wool. Brushes are cheap, shotguns not so much.

Again; the first part of your statement makes no sense whatsoever. There are rare cases where I will run a bore snake down a semi-auto at the club or in the field; without taking off the barrel.

Other than that, and if I'm home and want to clean the barrel; I take it off. I've owned dozens of autos and it takes about 20 seconds or less to take the barrel off one.

Which makes it a breeze to clean the barrel properly. Plus then your able to clean the receiver better and there's no chance of getting barrel crud in it.

I also use a 10 gauge brush like you in the chamber, although I don't chuck it in a drill.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:07 am 
Diamond Grade

I think most of us on the forum clean our chambers with some regularity, some after each session and some when they feel like it, and some when they just think it's about time. I don't believe the AVERAGE duffer does much of anything except wipe the outside down and run a snake or patch through the gun and that can be any direction they decide, I've watched.