It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing Citori Stock Bolt
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

The stock bolt on my Browning Citori XS Skeet has come loose twice in the last six months and I don't want to risk cracking the stock. Mine is a 2011 model with the slotted bolt that is tightened with a screwdriver and a long allen wrench.

1. Can I replace the slotted bolt with one with an allen wrench socket? I would like to do so because of the way a local smith cut the stock for an adjustable comb. (He bored too deep and went into the bolt hole. Because of that and the hardware was epoxied in place, a screw driver can slip off of the slot in the head of the bold and when it slips, the epoxy can be broken out. I shouldn't have that problem if the bolt accepts an allen wrench.)

2. Also, would anyone recommend using some blue locktite on the threads of the bolt, whichever one is used?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Replacing Citori Stock Bolt
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Since Browning offers an indefinite length of warranty, why not just send it back and let them fix it for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

When the owner or his gunsmith screws something up, don't expect Browning to fix it for free under warranty.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The stock bolt has a 7mm thread. They are very hard to find unless you get them from Browning. Occasionally when doing an adjustable comb that encounters the stock bolt they way you describe I have plugged the bolt hole with a few inches of wood then drilled it out so a longer bolt could be used. This keeping the activity away from the comb hardware. In the case of the 7mm bolt I had to make a new stock bolt.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:47 am 
Diamond Grade

Ulyses, I agree that this is not a warranty issue for Browning and nor is it worth having the bolt replaced or tightened by a smith. While I could simply tighten the existing slot headed bolt and use a dab of blue locktite, I have been thinking of getting a allen head bolt so that I don't have to risk catching the blade on the comb hardware, which is easy to do given that it is difficult to see if the driver is centered in the slot.

dcblvsh2, I understand perfectly how the bolt hole could have been plugged and a longer bolt used, as back when the comb broke lose you gave me excellent instructions as to how I could epoxy the hardware better than the local smith. See viewtopic.php?f=12&t=448284 I followed them and believe that the product is better than that of the local smith.
Regardless of whether or not I get a allen socket bolt and/or have the bolt hole redrilled and plugged for a longer bolt, I am concerned with the correct amount of torque and if it is a good idea to carefully use a drop of blue locktite.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'd worry more about the locktite with the slotted stock bolt than I would with the Allen bolt. Does your stock bolt still have a washer and lock washer?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

Yes. It still has the washer and lock washer. What my buddy recommended, the green loctite, does not appear to be a good idea as the manufacturer recommends heat for removal of threads secured with green. For now I am going to put the stock back on with blue using the slotted bolt. I don't have a hollow ground screwdriver of the correct bit size but I may give grinding down a tapered slotted driver to fit. I never tried to make one before, but it doesn't look like rocket science and I have a small Harbor Freight grinding wheel. There are several vendors on the net for gunsmithing screwdrivers, but I don't know of any selling ones large enough to secure a stock bolt.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've never used one but Brownells sells these. I'll order one and test it against a browning slotted stock bolt. I have a few of them laying around.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... od967.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've got a BIG slotted tip screwdriver that I use for the Citori slotted stock bolts. It fits and works well. I don't know where I got it, but I've had it for many years. I'm always careful about getting the tip of the screwdriver into the slot on the bolt head. I suppose that I could wrap some tape around the shank of the driver to keep it centered in the hole, but so far have never done so. If I were really worried about it, I'd wrap the tape around the shank since that should make it just about foolproof.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

The no wedge bit looks slick and I can imagine that if you use it just several times a year it would be well worth the price.

What Ulysses is talking about doing with tape makes sense, as does his tip re making sure that the tip is well fit into the slot. I may ask a local smith at the pistol ranage where he finds tools.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

Since I only have the one shotgun, if I don't count an 870 Express, I didn't want to wait to see if I could find a local vendor for a hollow ground screwdriver and instead I ground down a regular one from Home Depot. This is only the second time I hauled out the little 5" cheap Harbor Freight bench grinder, but It WORKED. I just kept taking a little off at a time and flipping the driver. I got it so it fit so well you couldn't see light between the driver and the screw. I used the blue locktite and now will see how long it stays tight.

Thanks to you guys for the help.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nice. and now you're back to shooting!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:16 am 
Diamond Grade

Yes, and for me I managed a little project. Now I just have to figure out how to break clay.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

Installing a recoil reducer, he may have shortened the bolt and cut new threads. Loctite with the right tools...