It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CHOKE TUBE
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:22 pm 
Utility Grade

what harm happens if the gun is fired (once, w/ lead}without the choke tube in place???

Post subject: Re: CHOKE TUBE
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Probably nothing. You might need to clean out a bit of plastic, if your choke is hard to screw in. Some guys shoot "threads" at close targets.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Don't make a habit of it, clean it, and all should be fine. Do it a lot (which is stupid as they make Cylinder choke tubes) isn't the smartest thing to do.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:41 pm 
Utility Grade

it would be for a home defense Mossburg Bantam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Does it have a barrel threaded for choke tubes? If it does, get one that is appropriate

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It sounds like you just shot it once, without realizing that the choke wasn't installed? Just screw the choke back in and remember to replace it again the next time you clean it. Chokes should be oiled or greased when reinserted, to keep them from seizing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:48 am 
Crown Grade

Sounds like to me he doesn't have a cylinder choke and wants to leave the choke out of the gun when it's sitting ready for home defense.

If so, should be fine, chances are you'll never shoot it like that. Still, just buy a cylinder choke... You may forget it's not in there...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:23 am 
Utility Grade

DallasCMT wrote:
Sounds like to me he doesn't have a cylinder choke and wants to leave the choke out of the gun when it's sitting ready for home defense.

If so, should be fine, chances are you'll never shoot it like that. Still, just buy a cylinder choke... You may forget it's not in there...

You are correct with my reason for asking,,,,,,however if I went and bought a $50 open choke tube, it would guarantee that I would never use that gun for that purpose :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:30 am 
Crown Grade

Mossberg chokes aren't that expensive compared to a new barrel :wink:
use whatever choke you have; the difference is spread at HD distances is negligible anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:40 am 
Diamond Grade

Assuming the Bantam is a 20ga, here is a skeet tube for less than $15 plus shipping.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product ... e=&from=fn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:09 am 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
use whatever choke you have; the difference is spread at HD distances is negligible anyway.

There you go!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:32 am 
Utility Grade

oneounceload wrote:

I was hoping that the threads inside the barrel would some how really open the pattern,as in ''scattergun" ...... so much discussion about how to tighten a pattern but little on how to really open one, ala '' Blunderbust''....... for home defense w/ a shotgun, 12'' pattern at 10' would be ideal....otherwise one would be better off w/ a pistol

btw; my other option would be to put a hacksaw to a old but beautiful Ithaca md 37 16ga FC that was bought to get around the steel shot for ducks law...........not going to happen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Be advised that the end of the barrel without a choke tube in there is much weaker and more susceptible to damage. Knew a fellow who was cleaning his gun and had it propped against the bench and it fell down and the end of the barrel was bent too bad to put in a choke tube. We did get it straightened out and the tube had the threads at the bottom so it should be okay, but it was a little dicey.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Making the pattern open up even more can be done with ammo selection. Just remember, you are responsible for every pellet you shoot, so any that go wide of your intended target and then hit someone else can leave you liable.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:10 am 
Crown Grade

A spreader or diffuser choke could widen the pattern while protecting the choke threads, but at 10-20 feet, the difference would be so minor (1/2" ?) It wouldn't be worth it. Not even sure buckshot would be affected by this type of choke. I'd just get a CYL or SKT or IC and be done with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

saltysenior wrote:
DallasCMT wrote:

You are correct with my reason for asking,,,,,,however if I went and bought a $50 open choke tube, it would guarantee that I would never use that gun for that purpose :lol:

I would hope to hell that you never need to use it for home defense.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:48 am 
Presentation Grade

Nothing happens. I do it all the time with Beretta auto barrels. So do a lot of other shooters. I would not do it with a barrel with thin walls at the muzzle.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

I would just suggest either a spreader or cylinder choke, and DO NOT USE 00- buck shot, those are .38 cal balls flying through your house. The FBI suggests #4 shot. If you don't want to kill your kids or wife through a wall 00- buck shot isn't a good idea, not to mention it will destroy your house.

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If that were true, it would be the best $50 investment you ever made!

saltysenior wrote:

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Actually, the FBI recommended minimum shot size for self-defense is #4 buckshot, not #4 shot (aka #4 birdshot).

See:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/0 ... us-rounds/
and,
http://ammo.com/bullet-type/4-buck

#4 buckshot is approximately .24 caliber.

berettaclayshooter wrote:
I would just suggest either a spreader or cylinder choke, and DO NOT USE 00- buck shot, those are .38 cal balls flying through your house. The FBI suggests #4 shot. If you don't want to kill your kids or wife through a wall 00- buck shot isn't a good idea, not to mention it will destroy your house.

Romans 8:1