ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta will not cock top barrel?????
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hello:

Today I noticed that the top barrel of my Beretta 687 Ultralight would not always cock the "hammer to fire the top barrel after firing the bottom barrel. The trigger was lose and had no spring tension on it like it should have if it were cocked. It is free to be pulled without any resistance. Before I remove the buttstock, what should I look for in the action? For example, dirt, dried grease, broken parts etc.

Oh yes, often I did not getting any indentations on the primers even though the top barrel acted as if it had struck the shell. There was a click but no primer indentations thus an unfired shell.

Suggestions and/or comments?

Tia,

Leomat

Post subject: Re: Beretta will not cock top barrel?????
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

leomat wrote:
Hello:

Today I noticed that the top barrel of my Beretta 687 Ultralight would not always cock the "hammer to fire the top barrel after firing the bottom barrel. The trigger was lose and had no spring tension on it like it should have if it were cocked. It is free to be pulled without any resistance. Before I remove the buttstock, what should I look for in the action? For example, dirt, dried grease, broken parts etc.

I would clean it good with solvent, paying particular attention to the inertia block which sounds like could be the problem area. Lubricate lightly with Breakfree CLP or similar.

Oh yes, often I did not getting any indentations on the primers even though the top barrel acted as if it had struck the shell. There was a click but no primer indentations thus an unfired shell.

Suggestions and/or comments?

It might need a good cleaning of the firing pins or possibly they need to be replaced. New hammer springs might be needed too, but I would start out with a thorough cleaning and lubrication. If that doesn't fix it, at least you've eliminated one possible source of problem.

Tia,

Leomat

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Make sure you're fully opening the gun.

Check your forearm levers, they should have no side to side play in them. If there is any play in them, you have to remove the forearm wood, press the pin the lever rotates on in tight, and tighten the very small set screw that locks the pin in. I've run into this once with a friends 687eell.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Beretta pushes the cocking rods ahead of the hammer as it falls. If the gun is dry or dirty around the cocking rods they can cushion the hammer as it falls and the firing pin will not develop enough push to fire the primer. That was the problem on my 686. Do not know about the failure to actually cock the gun if that also is happening. Maybe a broken cocking rod spring. Take the barrels off and take a small screwdriver and push the cocking rods in and out. Check for any sticking or bad feeling in the motion. A trip to Coles might be in order for the gun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:01 am 
Diamond Grade

Hello again:

I also noticed that the lower barrel was not ejecting the shell. This led me to think that there was a problem of too much resistance on moving parts. I cleaned everything sans the trigger group. This appeared to solve my problems. I had been using a grease that contained molybdenum disulfide for lubrication on parts that slide against each other. Perhaps this grease was just too viscus for use in a shotgun. I sprayed a light coating of Remoil on all parts that do not have high load bearing surfaces for lubrication and use the moly grease on parts that have high loads placed on them.

In any case, the gun is working as new. Sometimes, one gets lucky. Lol

Thanks for all of the help!

Be well,

leomat