It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Summit Limited w/ High Rib - Reliability Test & Journey
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

Better to be safe than sorry, send it in, they can assess what may have been wrong. They can do a once over on your whole gun and your all set again. They generally have quick turnaround so you won't be out the gun that long

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:12 am 
Limited Edition

gwp_man wrote:
Better to be safe than sorry, send it in, they can assess what may have been wrong. They can do a once over on your whole gun and your all set again. They generally have quick turnaround so you won't be out the gun that long

It's on the way. FedEx ETA at CG Maryland is Monday. I miss her already :(

Caesar Guerini Summit Limited
Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Michigan Shooting Centers

“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone” - Oscar Wilde

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:00 pm 
Limited Edition

In case any of you are interested, the pics of my split LM choke tube are below:

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:24 pm 
Limited Edition

Regarding my split choke, I just spoke to Aaron at CG. The barrels are OK, and everything inside and out looks great, he said. The root cause of the split is a bit of a guess, I think, but he said it was caused by an obstruction of some kind that was impinged upon by the follow-up shot. I don't really understand how an "obstruction" could be in the choke ID, but Aaron said they felt the crack began at the dimple (see pics in previous post) about 3/4 of the way from the exit end of the choke.

Because the crack was caused by this "obstruction," the crack is not a warranted issue. I mildly disagree, but I'm not making a big stink. I will buy another LM choke, get my gun back, and move on.

I do have a question for the forum however. I installed this LM choke in the midst of my round, as many SC shooters do. Is there some potential problem with debris or "obstructions" in the barrel that means a choke should only be installed in a "clean" barrel? I really don't believe this is the case, but after CG's theory of the root cause, I wonder what gun OEMs think.

My feelings of CG service are not diminished at all by this event, but I'm confused regarding how this pretty rare incident happened. Maybe it's just one of those unfortunate things that happens because stuff happens.

Anyway, incident over. CG received my gun on Monday, and completed the inspection and pit stop by Thursday. I dare any other manufacturer to do better. Now I just want to get my CG Summit Ltd. back and shoot her again.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

I cannot see the "dimple" in the photo, but CG just politely told you that you were lying about what you told them about your use of the gun and tube at the time the tube split.
Did the gentleman give you any examples of the kind of "obstruction" that caused the dimple? I have seen many shotgun barrels damaged by obstructions, and a few choke tubes. Never saw anything like a "dimple". I am interested in what others have to say.
This is not in keeping with what many others have said about CG. I have seen other choke tube sellers replace tubes based on far weaker claims that the tube was defective. The tube probably costs CG less than $25. I am surprised they did not replace it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:16 am 
Limited Edition

I've been thinking about this incident, and wondering if the "obstruction" CG was referring to was a polite way of saying I might have used reloads (I did), and that one of them might have been a weak event that left the wad at the end of the barrel for a follow-up shot. That is a possibility. I vaguely remember hearing a slightly strange boom near the very end of my 175 round practice day, but didn't really consider it until recently.

If that's what happened, I am very fortunate nothing worse transpired.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:24 pm 
Limited Edition

Got my Summit Ltd. back from the split choke safety review and pit stop. It was really too early for a pit stop, but since CG wanted to be sure the gun was OK after the choke incident, I asked for a pit stop since it was there. They said the gun was just fine, nothing needed repair or replacement. I dropped the gun off at my local SC gun store on 3/16, it arrived at CG on 3/20, and I picked it back up on 3/29. Pretty good turn-around. The list of pit stop items read like this:

Adjusted stock fit
Adjusted trigger take up
Polished muzzle
Cleaned bores
Polished ejectors
Polished breech face
Adjusted barrel/frame fit
Adjusted ejector synchronization

Picture perfect day today for sporting clays practice today. I concentrated on intense focus on the bird, and not measuring, while shooting the C-D birds. To do that each and every shot is really difficult. I hope I can ingrain that habit and stop having to think about it. 130 trouble-free rounds thru the CG Summit Ltd. today with my new Maxis Competition LM/LM chokes.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 6960.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:41 pm 
Limited Edition

Another picture perfect Michigan Saturday for SC practice. 130 rounds today in the warm spring sunshine. I felt pretty good about my practice session except for a really tough 35 yard low diving R-L crosser that runs about 4 feet off the ground and buries itself quickly. Hit the first 2 then managed only about 1 of the next ten.

Passed the 7k mark with this beautiful gun today. I loved learning the game for 17k rounds on my CZ, and I can shoot my beautiful Fabarm XLR5 really well, but unless I win a free Kolar or Krieghoff or Blaser someday, I can see using this gun for a long long time.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 7090.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:52 am 
Limited Edition

Big shooting weekend just ended. Participated in the 2017 6th Annual CZ USA Spring Championship at Michigan Shooting Centers Sat/Sun. The weather couldn't have been better, and the courses were great, as usual, when Pat Lieske and Co. are hosts.

I shot the 100 bird prelim, the 100 bird main, 50 bird 5-stand, 50 bird 12G FITASC, and 50 bird 20G FITASC. Had a lackluster prelim, but the rest of the events I was real happy with my performance and of course my CG Summit Ltd. was excellent.

This was my first competition with the 20G Briley Side Kicks. I'd used them a couple of times previously, but not in NSCA competition. They were great, except that, as I've been told, unless you shoot Win AA, Rem STS, or another premium brand, they may occasionally get a bit stuck due to shell expansion during firing, and not eject properly. I used Rios, 1210 FPS 7.5's, and in 55 rounds only two required extra persuasion to leave the chamber. I've seen Rios in 12G sometimes stick a bit as well. They work fine, but I guess that's why you get them on sale, as opposed to the premium brands. The Side Kicks are also nasty dirty when you pull them out to clean them, but some Rem shotgun cleaner, some CLP and a scotch-brite pad worked OK.

Another 360 rounds of really enjoyable shooting with the Summit Ltd.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 7450.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:23 pm 
Utility Grade

Nice

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:05 pm 
Limited Edition

Another monthly DGC NSCA outing. Attendance was low, probably because the forecast was 90% probability of rain. The early flight made out OK - no rain - only a few sprinkles, but the afternoon folks got soaked.

My shooting was lackluster, especially in the 5-stand event, and the course was fairly difficult - bad combination. I clearly remember missing a handful of shots and knowing for sure I wasn't looking at the bird (with focus).

Another 180 rounds flawlessly thru the Summit Ltd.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 7630.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:26 am 
Limited Edition

Got some practice in recently. It felt good. I've kept the LM/LM choke setup in for a while now, and see no reason to abandon it. I may have missed a close rabbit or two as a result . . . or it could be I just missed a rabbit.

Beautiful sunny Michigan early summer weather. Another 125 rounds thru the Summit Ltd.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 7755.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Got some practice in on Friday - 120 rounds.

Shot in a local monthly NSCA event today - 25 warm up rounds, 50 5-stand, and 100 main event sporting clays. Got some heavy rain for about 10 minutes, but the rest of the day was OK. Real steamy. Shot OK in SC main - got my first AA punch, but 5-stand was lackluster.

My Summit Ltd. passed the 8K rounds mark today - going strong; feeling good. The LM/LM chokes are getting real comfortable. Anyone shoot Mod/Mod in a CG? If so, what do you think?

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 8050.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:11 am 
Crown Grade

oinodam wrote:
Anyone shoot Mod/Mod in a CG? If so, what do you think?
Yes, I do. I've tried LM/LM and they work fine of course but I just feel more confident with M/M that they'll break any legitimate target.

It's not widely known that when CG changed to Maxis bores and chokes they engaged Nigel Teague of Teague Precision Chokes fame to consult on the design. No one, anywhere, makes better chokes than Teague and very few know as much about barrel work, which may explain why so few CG owners choose to buy aftermarket chokes.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:28 am 
Limited Edition

Trickster wrote:
oinodam wrote:
Anyone shoot Mod/Mod in a CG?
Yes, I do . . . I just feel more confident with M/M that they'll break any legitimate target.

Thanx for the confirmation of what I am beginning to believe myself.

Trickster wrote:
It's not widely known that when CG changed to Maxis bores and chokes they engaged Nigel Teague of Teague Precision Chokes fame to consult on the design. No one, anywhere, makes better chokes than Teague and very few know as much about barrel work, which may explain why so few CG owners choose to buy aftermarket chokes.

Thanx especially for this bit of CG inside info Trickster. Obviously, Teague chokes are more popular on the continent than in the colonies, but I have read similar glowing accolades from those in the know regarding their chokes. I am pretty happy with CG chokes, even though my CZ and my Fabarm both have Mullers that I have used extensively. I will see about ordering another Mod choke for my CG. I like having both chokes the same. No decisions to make. One choke size, one shell with one shot size, seems to keep things simple enough for a simple guy.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shoot Mod. And Mod. In my Guerinis at all times. They will do the job if you do. When you mate them with Clever t3s, one ounce 1280's, they will turn a clay inside out at 50 yards.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:05 am 
Limited Edition

In the past couple of weeks, I've hit my local Michigan Shooting Centers practice courses for rounds of 130, 155, and 115.

A couple small local NSCA events are coming up, followed closely by the biggest MSC event ever - the 2017 U.S. FITASC Grand Prix / Kolar Arms Classic.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 8450.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Shot in a local NSCA event Sunday - 180 more rounds. Shot poorly. Want to quit. Not really, I'll recover.

Never felt comfortable all day. It was a pretty hot day for Michigan - low 90's and mostly sunny. I was using up some Herters that Cabelas have on sale frequently - their 1 oz. 1290 FPS target loads. They seem to kick a bit more than my reload Gun clubs (1 oz. 1200 FPS) or Rio's (1 oz. 1200 FPS) or even factory Gun Clubs (1 1/8 oz. 1145 FPS). Unless I'm shooting my Fabarm semi, I think I'll steer clear of these in the future in my CG Summit Ltd.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 8630.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Shot in another local NSCA event Saturday; 100 bird main, 50 bird 5-stand, and practice. 170 more rounds. I shot very well this week. I guess I'll keep shooting.

I do have recent rabbit trouble. It seems to come and go. Only hit one of three on one station on the 100 bird main event. But, during 5-stand, I tried a buddy's advice and closed one eye only on rabbits. Hit em' all. It almost seemed like cheating. Over my short SC career, I've had sine-wave success on rabbits - feast to famine. But the rifle-shooting technique seemed to work. Live and learn. The Summit Ltd is still beautiful and great to shoot.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 8800.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:49 pm 
Limited Edition

Shot in the largest SC tournament I have ever competed in, the U.S. FITASC Grand Prix, at my home SC course. This was also the most challenging event I have ever participated in - especially 12G FITASC. I shot the prelim, Kolar Cup and 5-stand poorly, but I wasn't too unhappy with my 12/20G FITASC game.

Parcour #7 in a torrential downpour on Friday was my worst parcour, but the rest I was pretty happy with. I shot a 19 on Parcour 1, which was a moral victory, in that I hit the new 70mm B-bird 3 or 4 times. It was a crosser flying fast at about 70 yards away. Amazing. I did well in 20G FITASC, getting a couple AA points. 635 rounds through the Summit Limited this weekend. I'm tired.

What astounds me most about the weekend of shooting is the talent of some of the best shooters in the game. 192 tied for HOA at the 200 bird FITASC main event. I can't fathom missing only 8 birds in 8 parcours with all the tricky, deceiving, and downright hard shots that presented themselves.

Got my new Maxis Mod choke in the mail after shooting the prelim on Thursday, so I was Mod/Mod the remainder of the weekend, even with the Side Kick 20G tubes in the gun. I think I'll like knowing I can hit any legitimate target offered with M/M in my CG Summit Ltd.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 9435.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next