CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LL Bean New Englander Guerini
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:30 am 
Diamond Grade

I'm looking over a 2010 unfired 20 gauge LL Bean New Englander, supposedly made by Guerini. It's a field gun, 28" barrels. Seller wants around $2300 for it, and comes with a CG case.

I googled around but always got back webpages referencing Rizzini and LL Bean.

Can anyone tell me more about the LL Bean Guerini guns? What model do these New Englander guns correlate to with regard to the regular CG line? Are they the Tempio? Summit? Is the price fair or overvalued?

Post subject: Re: LL Bean New Englander Guerini
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:22 am 
Presentation Grade

Did you contact CG - they are usually pretty responsive to inquiries like this. Given the similarities in the CG and Rizzini actions, it may ultimately not matter that much for a field gun like this (as both are good, dependable guns). In target guns, the CGs have more bells and whistles than the Rizzinis.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:39 am 
Diamond Grade

dover: I found a similar gun and they listed it as the LL Bean Tempio Guerini so I can probably say for certain this is Guerini's Tempio model dressed up to LL Bean's cosmetic specs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:46 am 
Presentation Grade

Orvis is (was?) selling a similar model for around $4k new - including custom stocking by Orvis' gunsmith.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sernv99 - pm on the DGJ forum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just purchased an LL Bean new englander sporting clay edition from target shotguns. It is a stunning gun, excellent fit, finish and wood quality. It is mechanically identical to the summit limited. I'd jump on that deal if I were you, I don't think you will be disappointed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

I would stay away from any “store branded” gun, whether it be LL Bean, Orvis, etc. What does that name get you? Usually less resale value than a gun sold directly by any of the big manufactures, such as AYA, CG, Beretta and so on. The guns these guys sell are not any better, and as is pointed out by your post, finding out the exact match in the manufactures line is almost impossible to do. They do this for a reason. They want you to think these guns are special, and somewhat better than you can find directly. This is not true to any degree. I would stay away from these branded guns. Just buy directly from the manufacturer of your choice direct lines. You will know exactly what you are paying for, and your resale on the gun will be much better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:45 am 
Presentation Grade

I would agree that buying a store-branded gun new seldom results in a good deal. Some retailers may be able to provide some value by obtaining guns with better fit and finish that what might be generally available - Kevin's Beretta Pointer II is one possible example - but that is not always the case.

However, buying these guns used can be a different proposition. Many of them trade at a lower price than the comparable models sold directly by the maker, because many buyers have a hard time determining how a store-branded model compares to the maker's direct sale models. I recently bought a late '90s Orvis round body that is a Arrieta Model 871 in all but name. The gun was in excellent condition and I bought it for 20-30% less than other used Model 871s were trading for. It takes a little research, but if you can figure out how these store-branded models compare to the maker's models, you can find good deals on their used guns.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:59 am 
Diamond Grade

I ended up buying it for $2150 shipped, unfired with a new LL Bean takedown case and the Guerini hardcase. I contacted Guerini and they said the LL Bean New Englander corresponds to the their Tempio model. It's the exact model, just the cosmetics are different for LL Bean's marketing purposes. Once it arrives, I'll snap some of my own pics and post. The pics that the seller sent me seem to indicate the LL Bean guns have better wood than what you get on the Tempio guns direct from Guerini.

I'll try this out for hunting this season and see how I like it. If I need to put some weight out front, I'll buy some of the Comp N Chokes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:48 am 
Presentation Grade

Guerinis in that price range are a good deal - the barrels and actions are the same on all their guns. I think you will be happy with the gun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Great buy, i'm sure you will be happy with the gun. I have to politely disagree with some of these posts. In some cases, it's a great idea to buy a store branded gun. My L.L. Bean new englander sporting was an exceptional deal from target shotguns. The gun is mechanically identical to the Guerini summit ltd. If these guns were inferior, why would Guerini still back them with their lifetime warranty and pit stop program? The wood on mine is even higher grade then I have seen on several summit ltd. examples. I'd say it's in the range of a magnus. I agree that the retail value may be slightly lower, but I think most people will want to own these fine shotguns for a long time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

I got my gun today......the wood is better than my Krieghoff K20!!! Geez, they really give you some nice wood on these CG guns.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Nice looking gun. Good luck with it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

That is a lot of new gun for what you paid. The CCH seems a little nicer (more blue) than what you typically see on many CGs.

The CG field guns may not be quite as svelte as the Berettas but the ones I shot at Orvis were nice handling guns.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:19 am 
Tournament Grade

I know this is an old thread, but someone might trip into it and find my experience useful.

I bought a new LL Bean Guerini at their store in Maine this winter. I would usually shy away from a branded gun for the reasons stated above, but they gave me a terrific value on my trade-in. It was a Winchester 101, and they gave me a full 70 percent of the general stated value. I thought that was great for a gun that was just taking up space in the safe.

Someone above said that these branded guns are "dressed up" to the store's specs. With respect to the LL Bean Guerini Tempio, that is not the case. It has the same engraving as the regular CG Tempio, except that it is case hardened and lacks the gold (I'm sure fake gold) inlays found on the CG. Also, the Bean gun does not come with a case. (I wrote to CG about this—their website says that all CG field guns come with cases—but they said the Bean gun does not. It comes in full CG packaging, but the gun is packed in cardboard. CG—if not Bean—could do better.)

With respect to wood, three guns in the case at Bean (a 12, 20, and 28) had fairly straight-grained wood like the the Tempio pictured on the CG website, but the .410 on display had HIGHLY figured wood suitable for a much higher grade of gun. Unfortunately, I wasn't interested in a .410.

To sum up, LL Bean was asking $2995, which I would not have paid. I paid $1500 plus the trade-in, and am still happy with that.