Shotgun Forum banner

XLR5 FR or LR?

5K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  sharkie 
#1 ·
In the search for my first Sporting Clays gun, it came down to the Benelli Supersport or the XLR5. I was leaning toward the Benelli after my first "shouldering session" of both guns last week, but I went back today and now the XLR5 is the front runner.

Talking in consideration this is my first SC gun, do you think I'd be better served with the FR model or the added features of the LR? The extra cost for the LR is not a deal breaker.

Thanks!
Randy

#3 ·
It's always difficult to select a gun for someone else. We know very little of your shooting experience, your likes, or even how much you'll use the gun.

About the only advice I would give if you have narrowed the gun make/model down to the Fabarm XLR5 is to say that I think one of those guns is considerably lighter than the other one. For target shooting, I would recommend the heavier one.

Yes, there are many other things to consider, but if you haven't been able to decide on one yet based on all the other factors, I'd go with the heavier one. My two cents. :)

#5 ·
I like the Fabarm over the Benelli or Beretta. I've handled it and like the rib adjustment on the Fabarm better than the A400. I also like the left hand bolt release although it seemed backwards to me at first

It's also purpose built for busting clays while the Benelli & Beretta are modified duck guns with fancy parts

#6 ·
Well, the decision has been made. Earlier today I purchased a gently used, one owner 6 month old LR from a dealer in Wisconsin. The dealer had actually sold the gun new, so they were familiar with the owner and gun history.

Thanks for your replies and have a great weekend!
Randy

#7 ·
rmac/md - congratulations on your purchase!

And in anticipation of the seemingly inevitable next question, here's my two cents regarding cleaning and lubing, based on the experience I've had over the past fifteen months:

The carbon buildup on the piston and mag tube is not a problem a long as the piston slides easily on the end of the mag tube. The action bars, and the collar they are clipped to, are chrome plated and don't get a lot of hard build-up; but if they do, they can certainly be cleaned very quickly and thoroughly with some CLP and a brass brush, bronze wool, or fine steel wool. I use bronze wool and find it works very well on the collar. The action bars clean up by simple wiping.

The piston itself is coated stainless steel. Usually, soaking in CLP and then wiping with a rag cleans it sufficiently. For a deep clean, or for very stubborn build-up, it can be very safely cleaned (after soaking a few minutes in CLP) with a brass brush, or bronze wool. You can use steel wool (or a steel tube-cleaning brush for the inside diameter), but it will diminish the coating over time, although this will in no way affect the performance of the piston.

As for cleaning frequency, I wipe the barrel extension and the action arms about every 800-1000 shells and re-coat with a VERY thin layer of white lithium grease (Lubri-Plate). This was suggested to me by Andrew, one of the gunsmiths at Fabarm. I have found this works beautifully to keep the gun smoothly cycling the lightest loads, and it doesn't collect and hold crud like most CLPs tend to. It also doesn't migrate from where I put it, keeping everything surrounding pretty clean.

I clean the gas system (piston and gas chamber), the outside of the mag tube, and the choke about every 2,000 rounds - mostly to keep the gun in good appearance and well-cared for, whether it needs it or not. I'll usually also drop the trigger assembly and spray it out and put a tiny drop of CLP here and there, since the gun is mostly apart by then anyway.

Good luck and safe shooting.

#9 ·
rmac/md,

Great choice. I was considering the same two guns myself and chose the XLR5 LR. It has so much adjustment, beauty, and the latest generation feels great in my hands. Considering the fairly similar prices, how can plastic be even close? Plus, Guerini service is far and away a bonus.

OK, maybe the Benelli is easier to maintain . . so what. Quality like I've seen on mine lasts much longer than a small edge in efficiency. Enjoy your new (to you) gun.

And add pics and keep us posted on progress.

#11 ·
Just picked the gun up and couldn't be happier. :D It is virtually mint. The the left side of the receiver has some minute wear on where the slide release is. I figure it might be from a ring on the previous owners left hand. The stock and forend are pristine. The receiver and barrel have the usual fingerprints on them, but that's no big deal. The gun does need to be cleaned, again, no big deal. All the wrenches, chokes, and choke case are there. It appears the clear plastic sleeve with all the documentation, shims, etc. was never opened, and the previous owner didn't even send in the warranty card.

Since I just had a hernia repair done on Friday, my wife is riding herd on me about not doing anything "strenuous". She even carried the gun out of the gun shop and again into the house. I figure around Tuesday I can clean the gun and get better acquainted. I should be able to go to my shooting club this coming Saturday and give it a spin shooting some trap. I have a T&S shell catcher on the way and it should be here by the.

I'll let you know what I think. I won't share my score since I virtually suck, but I have fun sending lead down range regardless. I find it rather cathartic.

Have a great weekend!

#12 ·
I cleaned my gun this morning. Took my time, maybe even close to the "48 minute YouTube" allotment, but the gun was extremely dirty and I wanted to familiarize myself with the different components. Pretty sure the previous owner never bothered to clean it whenever he traded it in or put it on consignment.

The gas piston, cylinder, and barrel were the worst. I didn't have any CLP and I was out of solvent, so I used a little Remington Bore Cleaner and an old toothbrush on the piston and cylinder, then wiped them dry with a clean cotton cloth. The bore cleaner, bore brush and patches took care of the barrel with no problem.

Wiped off the action bars and sleeve and then put a very small dab of TW25B Gun Grease on the bars, spreading it on the surfaces between thumb and forefinger.

The magazine tube had a lot of black,oily crud at it's base. Wiped it off till dry and wiped the spring clean.

The breech bolt was soaked with some kind of oil/lube, so I took it apart and wiped everything dry and clean. The inside of the receiver wasn't to bad and wiped clean easily. I didn't drop the trigger assy, will do that at a later time.

Reassembled the gun and finished up by wiping all outside metal surfaces with RemOil cloths and then wiping excess of with cotton cloth.

Once the gun was reassemble and I put it to my shoulder it was immediately apparent that the previous own had the gun set Cast On. I verified it by looking at the stock shim. I definitely need to change that. Is this something I can do myself and what tools will I need? Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

If I can change the cast myself I hoping to take the gun to the range this Saturday.
Thanks,
Randy

#13 ·
Changed the stock shim on my gun today. Fairly easy. Used a #1 Phillips screw driver to remove the recoil pad screws. My gun is equipped with a kinetic recoil reducer, so I used a large slotted screw driver to remove it. After the reducer is removed, the stock retaining nut is exposed. It takes a 16mm socket. Use a 10" extension on the my ratchet, proceeded nice and easy to break it free. Once it was removed I gently slide the stock off the connecting rod and removed the locking washer inside the stock.

I tried no shim, Cast Off only, and then Cast Off with -5mm Drop. The last set up seems to give me the best line of sight down the rib. Reassembly was easy. Gently slid the stock up the connecting rod till it was fitted against the receiver. After trial and error I found it is easiest to put the locking washer on the collar of the retaining nut, put the nut into the 16mm socket mounted on the extension, and then insert everything into the stock. Couple of turns and tweaks and eventually the nut will thread onto the connecting rod. Hand tighten the using the extension as much as I could, then used the ratchet to tighten securely. Reinstalled the reducer, again hand tighten securely, and then replaced the recoil pad. I'll check after several hundred rounds to make sure everything is secure. Since the gun is equipped with the Micro-Metric 3D adjustment system in the comb, I can make minute adjustments later.

So I should be set. Clean gun with great line of sight. T&S shell catcher came today. Going to try it out this Saturday at the trap range. Got some Win GC, Rio Target, and Federal Target loads. Should be interesting and hopefully fun.

Thanks for putting up with my ramblings!
Randy

#14 ·
rmac...

A lesson I learned the hard way. The front and rear trigger group pins and DIFFERENT! Reversing them will cause one to back out and can cause failures to feed. Look closely and you'll see that the front pin has 3 detent rings and the rear has 2.

I was using QMaxx Blu to clean and lube my Fabs (I own an AR and a LR) but am currently using BallistOil spray and I like it alot. I have been shooting my AR since they first arrived in the US and love the gun. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or issues.

#15 ·
Eddav72 said:
rmac...

I was using QMaxx Blu to clean and lube my Fabs quote]
I used QMaxx Blu once. The smell was so bad I gave it away. I went back to Break Free.
I can't tell any one what gun to buy, because I need to know how you shoot or what you shoot.
My self I like my Fabarm AR, Benelli SS, Browning Gold Golden Clays and my new Beretta Multisport.
Is one any better than the other. No.. They all have there good and bad points.
I still shoot my O/U's more. :D

#17 ·
Eddav72 said:
rmac...

A lesson I learned the hard way. The front and rear trigger group pins and DIFFERENT! Reversing them will cause one to back out and can cause failures to feed. Look closely and you'll see that the front pin has 3 detent rings and the rear has 2.

I was using QMaxx Blu to clean and lube my Fabs (I own an AR and a LR) but am currently using BallistOil spray and I like it alot. I have been shooting my AR since they first arrived in the US and love the gun. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or issues.
Thanks Eddav. Good to know about the trigger group pins. I'm sure I'm going to drop it in the near future. It was real 'moist' when I received the gun, so I'll probably give it a good wipe down.
I'll shoot you a PM if I do run into any issues.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Randy

#18 ·
jcbabb said:
Kraiza,

What is your opinion of the new multi sport? How does it compare the the xlr5?
I think both guns are very good. What I like about the Beretta is it is lighter and feel smaller in your hands. The XLR5 is larger and a better trigger. Recoil for me feel the same.
Right now I like the Beretta better only because of the weight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.