It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FABARM XLR5 Waterfowler
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Has anyone shot or handled this version of the XLR5? I am looking for a duck gun, and while I wouldn't mind owing a Beretta, I am big fan of CG, their products and customer service. I have found very little about this gun online - is it a recent release?

In addition to any general observations, I am interested to know if it comes with stock shims and how heavy duty the camo coating is.

Thanks in advance, Doverham

Post subject: Re: FABARM XLR5 Waterfowler
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:50 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

They are a couple of months away.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

I saw them listed on the Fabarm website, and assumed they were already in circulation.

Looks like you got your hands on one, at least. Is it worth waiting for?

Thanks, Doverham

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:25 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I'll review it as soon as it gets here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It appears the release button to be more recessed than on the target guns?

-David

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:24 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Yes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

Fabarm/CG just informed me that this model will be available in May, and it does come with stock shims.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm intrigued, I wonder if it'll make me want to give up my Super Vinci for one!?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:28 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

It would depend on your level of undying love for 3-1/2 inch shells.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

Does anyone have any updates on the release of this model? I just called Kittery Trading Post in ME (who is listed as a Fabarm dealer), and they had no information of this model's release status. Last I heard, they were looking at a mid-May release date.

Thanks in advance, Doverham

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:08 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Fabarm USA has them, they are waiting for the new choke tube exclusive to the Waterfowler to arrive, shipping out either end of this week, or next week. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=436114&start=20

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Randy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

I was finally able to order this gun from Kittery Trading Post and hope to pick it up Friday, followed by a trip to my gun club on the way home. I will post some follow up comments once I shoot it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:15 pm 
Field Grade

dover', the listed MSRP is $1650. Did you do any better than this? Or was it full price and shipping, FFL fee, etc.? Thanks, Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

Their price is $1500 at the store.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:24 pm 
Field Grade

doverham, I looked at Kittery's website and didn't see Fabarm listed. Their prices for Remington V3's are high. Even higher than Cabelas. No one in my area stocks the Fabarm units. There are two local dealers listed and I talked to them on the phone. Cabelas said they couldn't even order them. The listed LOP of 14.5" is too much for me. Would have liked to have shouldered one anyway. I did pick up a V3 to join my Versa Max. The Fabarm looks fabulous. Randy Wakeman likes 'em. Looked at his review(s).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:43 am 
Presentation Grade

I picked this gun up on Friday and had a chance to shoot some SCs that afternoon. This is my first semi, so I don't have a lot to compare it too, other than my double barrel guns.

I was impressed with the gun right out of the box. The "fit and finish" (if that is the right term for a plastic-stocked, camo semi) is good - no rough edges or defects in the finish, etc.). The gun came with stock shims, a total of four chokes and sling swivels. The chokes provided were flush 5/10, 7/10, and 9/10 chokes and an extended "special long-range steel" choke. It was not clear whether the number ratings were based on steel or lead - I have a question into Fabarm about that. My only complaint is that the zippered soft breakdown case was not particularly well-made and appears to be an after-thought - who carries a waterfowl semi around in a breakdown case?

Shooting-wise, I was very pleased with the gun. When I first picked the gun up, it seemed a bit "thick," but I did not notice that once I was shooting the gun. It felt well-balanced and handled very well on a wide range of targets. Right out of the box, I shot it as well as any of my clay target guns. The 5/10 choke smoked targets at ~30 yards.

I shoot SCs with the gun unmounted, and my test for how well a gun handles is whether I notice mounting and pointing the gun as I move to the bird. This gun passed that test well - it just felt like I was pointing at the bird with my left hand, with no distraction from the gun. I can't say I am in love with the red San Juan worm on the end of the rib, but actually did not notice it while shooting. The trigger was better than I would have expected - clean break, not too heavy to notice.

The gun handled my light (1 oz, 1200 fps) reloads without an issue. The shells cycled plenty fast enough for second shots. I have not had a chance to run anything heavier through it. I will next month for early goose season.

KTP's price was $1499, and they took a Beretta SPI on trade, so I am pleased with the whole transaction. I actually think this gun handles better than the 12 ga. 32" SPI.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:02 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

All of the Fabarm chokes, whether XLR5, L4S, XLR5 Waterfowler can be used with steel shot, tungsten shot, etc., or lead as you wish.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Randy. I was not clear with my question. The 5/10 choke is marked "Medium" as in medium distance, which I take to mean it equates to a Modified choke. But is that with steel or lead shot?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:40 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Both.

For pheasants, last year, I used the 5/10 choke exclusively (L4S) . . . out to 50 yards, with lead. Testing the Waterfowler with Kent FastSteel #2, 1480 fps, the 7/10 choke is what I preferred to the 9/10. With smaller shot, or different shells, the 9/10 chokes may have been more what I was looking for.

A lot depends on the shell. A good way to evaluate is start with the 5/10 and then decide if you want more density, or less. The 9/10 chokes might well be more in-line with a turkey or predator load application, but that's up to you.

The Trulock Super Waterfowl #2 choke, for example, that I've used in other guns, has a .040 in. constriction. It is all test and trial with a specific shell.