It is currently Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: FABARM XLR5 Waterfowler
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks - it sounds like a trip to the pattern board will be necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:13 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The Waterfowler shoots to point of aim, remarkable because so many shotguns I review do not. For lead, the #5 choke is where I want to be for sporting clays. However, some folks feel that it patterns too well, so the 4/5 was introduced. The 9/10 is back of the fence material with lead target loads. With Bismuth, the 9/10 Extended DK choke is excellent, at least in my gun.

For those going with Black Cloud or the Hypersonic stuff, the 9/10 DK might be what you want. For the loads I was using, SilverSteel #2 1480 fps 1-1/4, the 7/10 choke was the most appropriate from 35 - 40 yards.

I shoot at 500 ft. above sea level. If shooting at higher elevations, you might want a notch less choke.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:01 pm 
Field Grade

I ordered a left handed model today, and am looking forward to trying it out before teal season starts here in South Texas. I am a little concerned about how tight the chokes are, I'll be shooting birds buzzing decoys, so I migh take a looser choke from my Axis and see how that works out...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:24 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Illinois sure isn't Texas and not only do I not know what range your talking about, exactly, I have no idea what shells you might be shooting. I choke a lot tighter than some, for a teal isn't a very large target at all, weighing no more than a pound. What is the kill zone of a teal? Unless they are really in your face (not the case here) the 5/10 choke (about .022 in.) is not an aggressive constriction.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:26 am 
Field Grade

Well, first of all, you are welcome to come down to Texas and hunt with us!! In our early teal season, we get a lot of crossing shots at 20-25 yards. In the past I have been successful with Briley IC chokes through a 391 or an A400 shooting 1 1/4 6 at 13-1400.
I do really like the chokes on both my Axis and Guerinis, and I will spend some time on a pattern board to see what works. I will say that over this past summer I have switched to a mod choke for sporting clays, and I am just as succesfull with the close shots as I was with an IC choke, so I might just be pretty happy with the 5/10...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:58 pm 
Field Grade

Picked up the gun today and took it to the pattern board. I am glad that I am average size and weight, because no adjustments were needed. I went to try it out on sporting clays, and using the 5/10 choke, everything worked very well, I will be using that choke in the blind.
If anyone in the Houston area would like to try a left handed model, give me a shout.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:53 pm 
Field Grade

Had a good teal season, and now that a cold front has pushed them down, I went to my first big duck hunt this season. Using the 5/10 choke, and Kent Fasteel 1 3/8 #4, this gun was a pleasure to shoot, and I got my limit early in the hunt. Can't wait to shoot it again, and looking forward to chasing geese with it, although I do wish I could run 3 1/2 shells through it...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:55 pm 
Utility Grade

First time poster, but felt inclined to weigh in. I have an affinity (or addiction lol) for waterfowl autos. Have owned Berettas up to and including A400 Extreme, currently have 4 Benellis, one of the SBII's I sent to Rob Roberts to trick out (Best aftermarket choke tube for steel in my opinion, and I have them all). Every morning was a ritual trying to decide which one I was taking for the morning duck hunt. Walked in a local shop and saw the Waterfowler. Had watched Randy's review, and bought it in a weak moment. Since the first morning I took it, haven't even considered taking anything else. Kent 1 3/8 # 2's and Winchester 1 1/4 #2s are simply lethal with both the #5 and #7 chokes with the 30" barrel. Clean kills on both duck and geese that I really shouldn't even try. We will see how it holds up over time, but right now if I could only keep one it would be the Waterfowler. Absolutely the best "out of the box" shotgun I have ever owned.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:54 am 
Field Grade

Looking for a 30" bbl. Can't find one....doesn't seem to be much availability still.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:07 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

They are in stock. Fabarm USA will locate one for you, or you can just call https://www.colegun.com/ .