It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Summit Limited w/ High Rib - Reliability Test & Journey
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:49 pm 
Limited Edition

Picked up a new Summit Limited on March 28, and after updating with a 3/4" Add-A-Rib, and new Kick-Eez recoil pad with spacer for 15 3/4" LOP, I took it out today for it's first run on my local sporting clays course. Photos are below. I have an Add-A-Rib on my other guns: CZ Sporter, Fabarm XLR5 LR, and now the Summit Limited.

I tried to order a Summit Limited (I wanted the Deluxe wood CG build it with), but with a Summit Ascent barrel with a mid-height rib. I'm 6' 5", 235 lbs, and shoot fairly upright, so I need a lot of drop along the comb. Most gun makers, and most faces and bodies, must be different than mine, because I can't just pick up an off-the-shelf target shotgun and have it come close to fitting well. Well the Summit/Ascent combo still didn't provide enough drop, so adding an Add-A-Rib was necessary again.

My CZ and Fabarm both have Monte Carlo stocks, but this time I really wanted a basic sporting stock. The gun is nice, and I really like the case hardened receiver look as well. Shot 130 rounds today, and it felt pretty nice. I'm still getting used to it, especially the nice light trigger, that scared the crap out of me about three times today because it is so smooth and light I triggered the gun before I was ready - hit 2 of those 3 though :wink: . I can get used to it, but it'll take some time.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 130.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR
Caesar Guerini Summit Limited
Michigan Shooting Centers
Good Soil Discipleship, Discipleship 101, Patriarchs Blog

“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone” - Oscar Wilde

Last edited by oinodam on Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Summit Limited w/ High Rib - Reliability Test & Journey
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:20 am 
Limited Edition

Went out between raindrops yesterday and got in two weeks of Spring sporting clays league play in one day. 105 more rounds in the new Summit Limited. Still getting used to it, but I like it so far. And it is a beautiful gun. I've been shooting it with CG's IC/IC Maxis chokes, and they seem really good for most of what I expect to shoot. If I use this for FITASC, I will go longer - IC/LM or LM/M, but for now, IC/IC kicks butt.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 235.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

Last edited by oinodam on Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nice looking gun. I'm not a fan of the case hardening finish, but different strokes...

Did you install the Add-a-Rib yourself or send it off to be done? I assume these add-on ribs come in a variety of heights? What height is yours? Looks to be about 3/4" to 7/8".

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:54 am 
Limited Edition

Ulysses wrote:
Nice looking gun. I'm not a fan of the case hardening finish, but different strokes... Did you install the Add-a-Rib yourself or send it off to be done? I assume these add-on ribs come in a variety of heights? What height is yours? Looks to be about 3/4" to 7/8".

Hi Ulysses - I installed the rib myself, and it's 3/4" of an inch. I was surprised at how much I needed. My CZ Sporter and Fabarm XLR5 both have 3/8" Add-A-Ribs. I haven't measured my modified Summit Ltd. yet for drop at comb and drop at heal, but my other guns are set so I get nearly 2" DAC and nearly 2 1/2" DAH (or back of Monte on those guns). I played around with a prototype raised rib I made for my CZ, using the magnets and adding more magnets to raise it until it seemed about the right height. To my surprise, my 6' 5" frame and long neck required 3/4". It feels great now. Pat Lieske helped me set it up at my home SC club by adding a spacer and Kick EEZ recoil pad to get about 16 5/8" LOP, and I'm anxious to shoot it more.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:58 pm 
Limited Edition

Hit the Spring SC league again yesterday. Sunny and (relatively) warm for Michigan springtime (~ 45 deg. F). 50 sporting clays and 25 5-stand. Still getting used to this really nice gun. Having the occasional premature triggering (twice yesterday) because of the sweet trigger feel and effort. Unlike my luck previously, I missed both targets when I inadvertently fired yesterday.

I've got a local NSCA tourney this weekend, and I'm torn between using this new Summit Ltd., or my really nice Fabarm XLR5, which I'm quite fond of. I'm leaning towards the new gun, but we'll see.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 310.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:32 pm 
Limited Edition

The best shooting day in a long time. Mid-70's, almost no wind, a great day for sporting clays!

Shot 25 practice 5-stand; 30 FITASC; 100 registered sporting clays. The day started cool, but after the 5-stand warm-up, the light jacket was off and it was t-shirt weather. Shot OK for still getting used to my Summit Limited. Nice shooting gun.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 465.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:11 am 
Limited Edition

First of four big local events this year: The 2016 5th Annual MSC Spring Championship / MSC Trail #1 was held this past weekend, and it was a great weekend for shooting. The CG Summit Ltd. was great as well. I performed well in one event, fair in a second, and 'meh' in a couple of others. Between practice 5-stands, 100 bird prelim and main events, and 50 bird 5-stand and FITASC, I put 350 rounds (1 oz. 1250 RIOs and 1 oz. 1290 Herters) thru her without issue.

I have noticed one characteristic on this gun that I haven't seen on my others. When cleaning out the barrel, I expect and clean for wad buildup in the chokes - which by the way I have yet to change from IC/IC for anything. But I also have found the area just past the shell pocket - the beginning of the forcing cone I guess - has what appears as wad build up as well. After the first few cleanings, I started to notice it, and was briefly worried the chrome barrels had been damaged somehow. But after I scrubbed that specific area as I would a choke tube, it cleaned up OK. Anybody else notice this on their Maxis bore CGs?

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 815.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

Last edited by oinodam on Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:09 am 
Diamond Grade

Beautiful gun. Unlike many other "Add A Ribs" I've seen.......yours looks like it belongs. As a matter of fact, I took it for a Summit Impact at first glance. Good luck with your new purchase.

Blaser F3 Super Trap 34" Unsingle
Beretta DT11 30" Sport
Beretta SP 1 30" Sport
Browning Ultra XS Sport 30"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:01 pm 
Limited Edition

cheecho1960 wrote:
Beautiful gun. Unlike many other "Add A Ribs" I've seen.......yours looks like it belongs. As a matter of fact, I took it for a Summit Impact at first glance. Good luck with your new purchase.

Thanx cheech - The guys at Add-A-Rib have different rib configs they try to make fit the various existing OEM rib designs. I'm really happy with the looks. Most people tell me the same thing you did, that it looks like original equipment.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:32 am 
Tournament Grade

oinodam wrote:
First of four big local events this year: The 2016 5th Annual MSC Spring Championship / MSC Trail #1 was held this past weekend, and it was a great weekend for shooting. The CG Summit Ltd. was great as well. I performed well in one event, fair in a second, and 'meh' in a couple of others. Between practice 5-stands, 100 bird prelim and main events, and 50 bird 5-stand and FITASC, I put 350 rounds (1 oz. 1250 RIOs and 1 oz. 1290 Herters) thru her without issue.

I have noticed one characteristic on this gun that I haven't seen on my others. When cleaning out the barrel, I expect and clean for wad buildup in the chokes - which by the way I have yet to change from IC/IC for anything. But I also have found the area just past the shell pocket - the beginning of the forcing cone I guess - has what appears as wad build up as well. After the first few cleanings, I started to notice it, and was briefly worried the chrome barrels had been damaged somehow. But after I scrubbed that specific area as I would a choke tube, it cleaned up OK. Anybody else notice this on their Maxis bore CGs?

Total shot count count for the Summit Limited = 815.

I have a Summit sporting I bought this winter and put around 3750 rounds through it so far, it hasn't missed a beat. Your plastic build up in the forcing cone area seems to be normal. I noticed it as well. By the way, I remove and clean the ejectors every 1000 rounds or so they seem to get dirty. Use a magnet to remove the locking disc and they pop right out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:58 am 
Limited Edition

SpeedyWho wrote:
I have a Summit sporting I bought this winter and put around 3750 rounds through it so far, it hasn't missed a beat. Your plastic build up in the forcing cone area seems to be normal. I noticed it as well. By the way, I remove and clean the ejectors every 1000 rounds or so they seem to get dirty. Use a magnet to remove the locking disc and they pop right out.

Thanx for the tip Speedy - I will definitely do that. Like you, I have really enjoyed this gun so far. It even seems to clean up easier than my CZ O/U - except for the plastic build-up in the forcing cone. Good shooting!

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:20 am 
Limited Edition

Got some catchin' up to do. 150 rounds of Spring SC league play the past 3 weeks; 50 rounds 5-stand fun on 2 of the league days; 130 rounds SC practice yesterday before and after my league - great day to shoot. 330 rounds more thru the CG Summit Ltd.

Regarding my previous post on wad fouling not only the chokes, which seems normal, but also the forcing cones of my CG - I bought a coupe of Hoppe's Tornado brushes to replace my ratty-looking brass bore brushes. Wow, those things really scrub out the bores! In fact they are so thorough, I hoped they weren't too abrasive. A couple squirts of Break Free CLP, scrub from end-to-end, and swab the bore out. Much easier than with the brass bristle brush. This tornado gets several points of 360 degree contact - much more than the brass bristles.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 1145.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

Last edited by oinodam on Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

I got into skeet shooting 4 years ago with a Browning Maxus. The chokes that came with it weren't patterning as they were marked plus the plastic wad build up was very bad. I bought a Briley skeet and IC choke for it for better patterns. I have put at least 4000 rounds through the skeet choke and had a real pleasant surprise in that it just doesn't get dirty. Hating to clean that crap on a regular basis, I bought them for my Guerini 20 gauge Magnus Light, Sporting and 28 gauge Magnus. I just bought a Summit Ascent. Putting no more than 500 rounds through it, the Maxis chokes are already getting the wad build up.

The Browning Maxus had the forcing cone plastic build up also and was tough to get out. I read about using Tipton Gun Bright Metal Stainless Steel Cleaning Pad with a bronze brush. You wrap a short segment of it in and around the brush and go to town. It works great.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:35 am 
Limited Edition

Great weekend for shooting here in the mitten. Low to mid 70's, moderate wind, mostly sunny (which is rare). Shot at a local gun club that holds monthly shoots. 25 practice 5-stand and 100 bird main. I shot my second best score in registered competition (86), but came in third in B-class. a 90 and 87 beat me out for punches. It seems like it takes incredible scores to get punches this year. Unintended consequences of down-classing?

I was happy with my shooting, missing a couple of really fast crossers that I couldn't figure out, and the rest was just minor inconsistency. The Summit Limited was great, as usual. I get quite a few comments on the gun every week. I'm glad for the upgraded wood; I have learned how much I love beautiful wood on a shotgun.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 1270.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

Last edited by oinodam on Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:19 pm 
Limited Edition

The past couple of Wednesdays, I have gone to the local MSC range for some C-D bird practice. The latest theme is mid-distance left-to-right quartering at moderate to fast speed. That's good, because I need to work on those. 105 rounds last week and 120 more today.

One question for you long-term Guerini owners. I had 3 or 4 second chamber no-fires. By that I mean that there is no 'click' of a hammer striking a firing pin and then striking the primer - there is nothing, because the second chamber hammer wasn't set. My other O/U is a CZ, and I changed the ejectors for extractors, hence I'm not used to the stiffness of opening and closing my Summit Limited yet. Do the ejectors set upon fully opening the gun, and the hammers set upon closing completely? I need to be more deliberate when I do both, I guess, to prevent 2nd shot no-fires in a competition. When I do consciously open the gun completely and close it with firmness, there are no problems firing. I know its me and not the gun. At the last NSCA shoot I participated in, this didn't happen at all. Any advice would be appreciated.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 1495.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

oinodam wrote:
Do the ejectors set upon fully opening the gun, and the hammers set upon closing completely?

I don't know if the ejectors are cocked upon opening or closing the guns, but I do know that the hammers are cocked upon opening the gun.

I was at Bald Mountain yesterday and shot the ridge course, all C & D traps. Very sporty! Managed a 79 out of it. The one station with the really far out left to right crosser (11 I think) kicked my but or I would have managed a mid 80s.

Can't wait for the state shoot!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:45 am 
Utility Grade

Sobrepuesta wrote:
oinodam wrote:
Do the ejectors set upon fully opening the gun, and the hammers set upon closing completely?

I don't know if the ejectors are cocked upon opening or closing the guns, but I do know that the hammers are cocked upon opening the gun.

I was at Bald Mountain yesterday and shot the ridge course, all C & D traps. Very sporty! Managed a 79 out of it. The one station with the really far out left to right crosser (11 I think) kicked my but or I would have managed a mid 80s.

Can't wait for the state shoot!

That far left to right crosser has eaten me up several times!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

TTHUD wrote:
That far left to right crosser has eaten me up several times!

:lol: You know what I'm talking about..... {hs#

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:35 am 
Limited Edition

Shot some more C-D practice on Wednesday (110 rounds) and a local NSCA tournament on Saturday (125 rounds). Great day to shoot, dry, hot (for Michigan), beautiful. I can't believe I missed those rabbits. I can usually nail them, but I choked. Shot a couple with no probs for revenge after completing the station. Choked!

Regarding my last post about second chamber no fires and hammer cocking: I sent in a note on the Guerini web site, and received a phone call that evening from Andrew to talk with me about it. He said it was easier to call and talk than try to write down all he might be able to say. Basically, I am not opening my gun far enough at times. I may have a slight ejector timing issue, which is easy to fix, but requires the gun to do so. He talked me thru a method to see if the hammers cock prior to the ejectors cocking, and assured me that even if a timing issue exists, a complete and full gun opening will result in successful firing every time. Now that is service!

I had zero issues during my event on Saturday, taking care to fully open my gun each and every time. My only issues are personal - I need to learn to consistently focus like a laser for each shot - even the "easy" ones. Failure to do so sucks.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 1730.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:13 am 
Limited Edition

Had another monthly NSCA tournament yesterday. Nice hot day (89-90 deg but not humid), slight breeze. Shot pretty well, lost focus once or twice, and got stumped by one of my nemesis - deep trap shots, starting about 25 yards out and going away and curling. Couldn't touch it; don't even know how. The gun was perfect. I made sure it opened all the way and I had zero issues. 130 more rounds. Next weekend is the Michigan State shoot. I'm going to drop a load of cash and a load of lead. Should be fun, but I feel a bit guilty.

My wife and I are in the midst of training a new Golden Retriever pup (about 14 weeks old) and she requires constant attention and vigilance. She'll have to take most of the weekend duty while I'm shooting, which I usually help with. But . . . it can't be helped :wink:

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 1860.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR