It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Summit Limited w/ High Rib - Reliability Test & Journey
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:04 am 
Tournament Grade

These guns all have inertia triggers. As to your not getting the 2nd shot to fire before, if the loads had been too light, the 1st round would not have had enough energy to set the 2nd trigger. Just throwing it out there. It's a problem when guys use 28 gauge and especially .410 tubes in the 12 gauges. Some will switch to mechanical triggers which avoids the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Shot in the Michigan State SC Championship this Fri/Sat/Sun. A couple of warm-up rounds, A 100 bird Pre-lim, a 200 bird Main, 50 bird Kolar Cup, 100 bird FITASC, 100 bird 5-stand. 580 rounds! Except the Main event, I was pleased with my shooting, and the gun was excellent.

Get weekend. Hot, sunny, humid on Sunday, but simply great. We dodged a huge line of thunderstorms, but it was dry for the entire shoot. As usual, Michigan Shooting Centers did a fantastic job.

Boy am I tired.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 2440.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR
Caesar Guerini Summit Limited
Michigan Shooting Centers
Good Soil Discipleship, Discipleship 101, Patriarchs Blog

“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone” - Oscar Wilde

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:07 am 
Limited Edition

One more note I forgot to mention in my summary of the Michigan SC State Championships this weekend.

While shooting FITASC, I occasionally hear a metallic clinking noise somewhere in my stock. Since I was shooting, I didn't fiddle with it too much, but when I went home in the evening, while cleaning the gun, I discovered the DTS kinetic balancer in the stock had come unscrewed from the threaded ID flat retention washer that positions it in the stock (see the RH portion of the photo in the link). When it came loose, the shaft with the weights and springs was free to move fore-and-aft more than it was designed to do.

I used a pair of channel locks to grip the hollow center shaft (a pass thru to access the stock retention bolt) and the O.D. of the flat threaded retention washer and got it as tight as I could.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I apply a bit of loctite to prevent this from happening again? The washer I.D. threads were slightly buggered up, but reattaching the center shaft cleaned them up and all is OK now.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:45 pm 
Limited Edition

I shot so much at the Michigan State Championships, I guess I needed a break! Didn't shoot again until the 15th of July!

Shot some practice on 7/15 (110 birds) and again on 7/20 (115 birds). I've been getting more consistent results with less lead "measuring" by shooting low gun - FITASC-style. There were a couple of difficult trap-style shots I had better success pre-mounting on, but very few. I'm finding that if I shoot low, using what seems to be a move-mount-shoot motion, I can more consistently keep my mind from "measuring" the lead. If I can keep my mind out of the way, I perform much better, and this seems to give me the most consistent way to do that. By "low" FITASC-style, I mean with the gun stock resting in the FITASC position, 25 cm below the shoulder axis. I think it's giving me the same draw length and mount on every shot. I'll keep it up and see how it progresses.

BTW - The DTS Kinetic Balancer remains firmly attached (see previous post).

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 2665.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:22 pm 
Limited Edition

Shot in a weekend tournament here locally. Really hot weather, but my rotation on Sunday missed the heavy rain - yay. Had a pretty consistent 100 + 100 tourney and won my B class in the main event. Attendance was slightly disappointing, but I shot with a great squad both days and had a blast. Counting warm-up 5 stand and lost bird repeats, 230 more rounds of flawless performance by the CG Summit Ltd.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 2895.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:29 pm 
Limited Edition

Another hot day of SC practice. I still love summer sweating much better than winter freezing. 115 more rounds of SC practice (mostly C & D targets). Felt pretty good. Glad Island Lakes changed out some of their traps for this week. There was an incredibly fast 8:00-to-2:00 quartering away shot that I had to pre-mount to hit reliably (I think station #8 or #9). It was a blur for 2/3 of the flight before you could lock on to it. Station 12 had one long fast C-bird from 3:00-to-11:00 quartering away that was 45+ yards out when you could attempt the shot. The D-bird was 3:00-to-12:00 but curling away, same distance. I need to spend more time on that station - hardest of the course by far. A couple stations, like #1, have a quartering/crosser (9:00-to-2:00) that is moderately fast, but never on a line, always looping in transition. Those are tricky and seem to require a lot of care to hit consistently. What a great sport!

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 3010.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:14 pm 
Limited Edition

Took a day off and shot some more SC practice; 170 rounds at my local course. Haven't shot there since the MI State Championship. What a great place to shoot. Pretty much shot all the C-D targets today on the tougher Ridge course, with a few A's and B's sprinkled in, and at least two birds at each station on the Uplands course.

I also spoke to Brian at the gun store and asked for their price on the Briley Side-Kick 20 gauge chamber inserts. I'd like to enter the smattering of 20G events when they're available. I won't be using them very much, just the occasional registered sub-gage FITASC or 50 bird event. I have a shooting buddy with a Magnus Sporting who says the 20g size works really well in his gun. He uses the 12G chokes that would be appropriate for the shot and says they work great. Anyone have any other inputs regarding the short Briley Side-Kicks?

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 3180.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've never used the Briley Sidekicks, but I've used the 12/20 Chambermates and they work quite well.

My suggestion is to pattern them for "tightness" with various chokes you use. Although the patterns "generally" follow the same progression as with the 12 gauge loads, there are exceptions which are different for each gun/choke combo.

For example, you might find very little difference between the 12/20 Skeet, IC, and LM patterns, but when you put in the Mod choke, it might jump to a Full pattern. It's best to verify beforehand rather than just assume everything will be the same.

Thanks for the continued updates. {hs#

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:09 pm 
Limited Edition

Ulysses wrote:
I've never used the Briley Sidekicks, but I've used the 12/20 Chambermates and they work quite well.

Thanks for the continued updates. {hs#

Ulysses - Thanx for the feedback. The Chamber Mates 12/20 is about $100 cheaper, but "unavailable," per their web site. The Gaugemate web site is totally incomprehensable. Shotgun adapter.com has a very inexpensive insert, but you have to pull it out after each shot and replace the shell - no ejector capability. I'll probably go with the Briley Side-Kicks by default. I wish they sealed at the output end, like the o-rings on your Chamber Mates, but 'll just have to clean them when I use them. I won't use them that often, some sub-gauge events (very few available locally), and maybe some 5-stand or a fun sporting clays day now and then.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Occasionally you will find some 12/20 Chambermates for sale on the used market. I've seen them here on several occasions. You might put a WTB ad in the Other Classifieds here if you're really interested.

I like the ones I've got. I wouldn't have the ones that have to be completely extracted from the chamber with each shot. The Chambermates have extractors that work with the gun's extractors to raise up the empty.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:26 pm 
Limited Edition

Shot in the 3rd of 4 MSC Trail Series events this past weekend. I probably shot my most consistent scores ever for a fairly large tournament. Only got one punch though (5 stand), as some really high scores were posted. I had a chance to break 90 in the main event, but dropped 8 birds on the last 3 stations, resulting in an 84. The Summit Limited was perfect. In fact, we seem to be becoming great friends.

335 more rounds total - Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 3515.

Also, finally decided to order the Briley Side Kicks in 12-to-20 gauge. Probably won't have a chance in any more competitions this year, but I will use them for 5 stand and see how they feel.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:12 pm 
Limited Edition

150 more rounds in a local SC registered tournament Sunday. This course was pretty challenging, more than it has been this summer. There were some tough true pairs, and one bird I couldn't touch that was basically a low house #8, which not having shot much skeet in my brief shooting career, still mystifies me. In fact, I don't see many shots coming towards me over my head here in Michigan (generic driven birds), and subsequently I suck at them when I do see them. I felt like I shot better than my score, but was grateful for the stiffer challenge, and the really good group of guys I shot with, who always teach me more than I know.

The CG Summit Ltd was perfect, and sometimes surprises me when I hit birds that my confidence would have missed.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 3665.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:34 pm 
Field Grade

Oinodam - I see you have a Fabarm XLR5 and the Summit Limited. What was the reason you bought the Summit? Was it because of any particular deficiency in the XLR5?

I am considering a XLR5 while I am recovering from an auto accident to get a little less felt recoil vs my Zoli Z Gun. Any input and opinion would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:50 pm 
Limited Edition

blackandgold wrote:
Oinodam - I see you have a Fabarm XLR5 and the Summit Limited. What was the reason you bought the Summit? Was it because of any particular deficiency in the XLR5?

I am considering a XLR5 while I am recovering from an auto accident to get a little less felt recoil vs my Zoli Z Gun. Any input and opinion would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Blackandgold - I bought the Summit Ltd. because I had been drooling over it for over a year. But my XLR5 is incredible! I feel guilty every time I pull the Summit out of the safe and see the XLR5 looking at me forlornly. You may have read my posts on XLR5 experience here. I just added one today to another XLR5 fan. I simply can't recommended it more favorably. My Summit is so sweet, I use it for NSCA competition, but I plan on bringing out the XLR5 when I can. It has been refined into one of the best semi-autos available today.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:07 pm 
Field Grade

Oinodam - Thank you for your response. I am glad to hear you are so pleased with your guns. I feel the same way about my Zoli, glad to hear CG makes another great option in the mid range O/Us. I believe I will pick up a XLR5 seeing as they offer it in lefty.

Best of luck in competition!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:17 pm 
Limited Edition

Went out for some SC practice last week (105 rounds) and today (125 rounds), a gorgeous late summer day - perfect for shooting.

Today, my first 50 rounds were 20 gauge, using my new Briley Side Kicks. Everything went smoothly, and everything went boom. I shot a mid-range course at my local shooting establishment. It was nice shooting the 20 gauge, which I've never done until today, and it seemed to have similar capability to my 12 gauge. I guess 7/8 oz. #8's isn't far removed from 1 oz. # 7.5's. I liked it.

I didn't notice the difference until I took out the Side Kicks (they get really black and dirty, but cleaned up OK), and went to standard 12 gauge shooting. Not a huge difference, but it took a couple of rounds to forget the softness of the 20.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 3895.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:26 pm 
Limited Edition

Had a back-to-back NSCA tournament weekend. I shot so much I decided to take Monday off so I can spend some time with the wife and dogs.

Saturday, it was misty, humid, and sticky. A day when the hardest obstacle is foggy safety glasses. I shot at a place that has always gotten he better of me, but I had a pretty good day, shot an 85, and got my 11th B-class punch. Sunday was as close to perfect as it gets. Cool morning, dry air, and warm sunshine. Shot fair on a challenging SC course (80/100), and pretty good at a tough 5-stand (41/50), where I picked up my 12th and final punch to move into A class! It's been a long year slogging thru from B to A.

So far, no calls for sponsorship yet from Caesar Guerini . . . :wink: Of course, the CG Summit Ltd. was flawless.

I did shoot Saturday with a couple of guys with Guerinis. One guy had a mechanical trigger Summit that fan-fired 3X. He had the mechanical trigger installed to stop fan firing - he is pissed and wants a Zoli now. The other guy has the standard inertia trigger and has a fan-fire occasionally. I'm surprised they haven't gotten satisfaction from CG service. My gun is fine. I mentioned, as a joke, it was probably their mount, like a limp-wrested FTE with a SA hand gun, and they said that's what CG told them. I felt a bit sheepish for saying that then. Oh well, they'll get over it.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 4195.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Shot 115 more on Monday (vacation day). Beautiful late summer day. Shot the C & D presentations for some really good practice. I tried to be consistent in NOT measuring and only looking at the bird. That's really tough to pull off consistently. It's like trying to hold your gut in subconsciously for an extended period. Last big MISHOOT tournament of the year this weekend. Should be good.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 4310.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:46 pm 
Limited Edition

Last big local shoot of the year sponsored by MSC. Beautiful weekend. Cool, crisp mornings, lots of sun and warm afternoons. San Diego isn't this good.

Shot a 200 bird main event, 50 bird 5-stand, 50 bird true pairs, 75 bird FITASC, and 5-stand warm-up for a total of 400 rounds this weekend. I did pretty good overall in my first tourney as a A-Class shooter. Got one first place, one second place and a third - 4 punches total. The Caesar Guerini Summit Ltd. was great. If I had won one of the $40k in prizes (first prize was a Kolar Max Light Sporting), I might have a hard time choosing which gun to use. I guess I don't have any worries there for another year.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 4710.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:12 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm 4 weeks into the 6 week fall SC fun league. So far, pretty easy A-B targets. C-D's next couple of weeks. It's been good practice for pre-shot routine and intense focus on the bird, not the barrel. Also shot another 50 20-gage birds on 5-stand one week for fun (with my Briley Side Kicks). 265 total rounds the past 4 weeks. 5k rounds next time out.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 4975.

CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Fabarm XLR5 LR

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next