It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Summit Limited w/ High Rib - Reliability Test & Journey
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Well, the Fall SC League is over, with the last two weeks under my belt. Had a small practice session before week #5, and shot in local NSCA tournaments last Sunday and today. 480 rounds in the past couple of weeks. Had a couple of lackluster rounds at each of the hundred bird local main events, but a decent 5-stand today. The shooting season is winding down, with only four more small local NSCA events left in the year.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 5455.

Caesar Guerini Summit Limited
Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade
Michigan Shooting Centers

“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone” - Oscar Wilde

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Another 100 bird local NSCA shoot today. Kind of cold and windy. Temp around 30 degrees at the start with 20 MPH winds gusting to 30+. DGC's Scotty did a great job of setting targets that were pretty much wind neutral.

Since I had on a thicker winter coat, I was pre-mounting (or cheat-mounting) more than usual so my mount wouldn't be an issue. Shot well enough to get A class punch #5. I had some trouble with my reloads late in the day however. My powder drop washers got out of position and left me with about 5 or 6 light shots. I think I've got my MEC grabber repaired and making good loads now, but it was a bit embarrassing today. I did a quality control audit, and I have about 18 very questionable shells and another 22 somewhat questionable loads - all based on a weight audit. I'll sort it out in a practice session.

The Summit Ltd. continues to perform flawlessly. I would like some tips on sprucing up my wood though. The BLO isn't absorbing into the finish in certain areas, leaving me with shiny spots and duller spots. How would some 0000 steel wool and BLO combined do for the finish? Anyone have any thoughts?

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 5585.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a Summit sporting and their finish is tight, very little of anything absorbs into my stock. I use Clenzoil and just liberally hand rub it ever time I clean it. I don't think I would use steel wool because you would be likely to dull the entire finish. Call CG or an email and ask their advise. Have you sent it in for it's Pit Stop? Maybe they will address the dullness issue.
Mine just returned haven't seen it but I guess they steamed a few little handling marks out of the stock. IMO there wasn't anything to steam. We'll see what it looks like when I get home.
Great guns and super great customer service.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:00 pm 
Limited Edition

Texas Yankee wrote:
I have a Summit sporting and their finish is tight, very little of anything absorbs into my stock. I use Clenzoil and just liberally hand rub it ever time I clean it. I don't think I would use steel wool because you would be likely to dull the entire finish. Call CG or an email and ask their advise. Have you sent it in for it's Pit Stop? Maybe they will address the dullness issue.
Mine just returned haven't seen it but I guess they steamed a few little handling marks out of the stock. IMO there wasn't anything to steam. We'll see what it looks like when I get home.
Great guns and super great customer service.

Texas - I emailed CG and got a return call from gunsmith Andrew. He was very patient and explained what could be going on, and in the end he said 0000 steel wool would help even the surfaces that are absorbing the BLO unevenly. I gently dry-rubbed the steel wool over the stock, and added some oil and let it sit for a couple days. The finish improved, so I added a bit more oil, but just a bit. In the past, I probably applied too much at one time, and straight BLO takes forever to dry. I'll keep it up, and steel wool it again if necessary. The finish isn't dull - maybe matte - but there are still some areas that are shinier than others. I like good looking wood, so I'll work on this beauty until it looks great. And I'll put on just a dab of BLO when I touch it up.

One Pit Stop Question for the CG forum. Do they work on wood as part of the Pit Stop process? I've heard they will do wood refinishing but it costs, unlike the mechanical aspects of the Pit Stop program.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the info on revitalizing the finish. Mine is nearing the 10k round range and the finish is dull on the comb and the forend where my hand goes. I tried BOL but Ive been a little apprehensive about trying steel wool. BOL didn't last as long as I hope it would. So I figured I would have to use steel wool to clean up the surface a little bit so the BOL would soak in better.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:02 am 
Presentation Grade

On the positive side, I've never seen an oil finished stock that didn't improve in looks and patina over time when cared for with generous amounts of oil. Glad to hear the 4-0000 wool is the way to go.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:53 pm 
Limited Edition

Shot 125 rounds Saturday in a local NSCA shoot. Did fair, but need to learn discipline in keeping intense focus on every shot. On another note, someone gave me a couple 12G, 3/4 oz. load shells to try. They didn't have enough punch to set my triggers for the second shot. I guess if I ever get 28G Side Kick tubes, I may need mechanical triggers. Oh well, no hurry to go there yet.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 5710.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:56 pm 
Limited Edition

Shot 125 rounds Sunday in the next-to-last local NSCA shoot of the year. Shot a personal best for a 100 bird event, hitting a 90 for the first time :D.

After the event, while cleaning my CG, I have to say the stock finish I've been working on isn't very pleasing yet. To make me feel even worse about it, I shot with a guy who has a beautiful Magnus. His stock was refinished and treated with an automotive-grade polyurethane finish, a la Kolar. It was stunning, and pretty impervious with that really hard, clear, glossy finish. I must say, I liked it. Sure, if damage occurs, repair isn't much of an option, unless it is completely refinished, but man was it beautiful. And the finish really brought out the wood grain. And it is maintenance-free. It's got me thinking . . .

On the down side, he was having issues with the lock up coming loose occasionally after the first round was fired, so that needs CG repair. Mine works great. His looks better. I'll take function every day. But that finish was soooo nice . . . .

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 5835.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:19 pm 
Limited Edition

Shot 150 rounds Saturday in the last local NSCA shoot of the year. Shot a new personal best for a 100 bird event, and did really well in 5-Stand. The threat of a blizzard the evening before scared off quite a few shooters. There were only two A-Class 5-Stand shooters, so no punches awarded.

I got the name and number of the guy who refinished my friend's CG stock I mentioned in the last post. I'm going to give him a call and see what he charges to refinish with a very hard and shiny automotive-grade urethane finish. I might go for it if its not too much. Does anyone have any idea what a stock refinish costs? Have any of you done it to your CG? Results?

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 5985.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Shot 120 rounds today on the last day of my Christmas vacation. Did pretty well on the local course's C-D targets. I seem to do better with deep quartering L-to-R than R-to-L. I also worked thru my "questionable" reloads that I had a quality control issue with. Most were OK: one dud, and three light fires that didn't't reset my CG's triggers.

I am also going to have my CG's wood refinished with a hard automotive urethane finish. The oil finish is beautiful on my Fabarm XLR5 LR, but this Summit Ltd. won't keep a nice uniform finish - still splotchy and shiny and dull - basically mottled. I think it's going to cost about $250.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 6105.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In my opinion, $250 would be a real bargain for a nice, clear, durable polyurethane finish on your stock. That is what is on my Browning XT that is about 13 years old and it still looks almost like new except for one small ding on the forend where I had a brain f@rt one day. :) And my XT is not a safe queen.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:40 pm 
Limited Edition

Ulysses wrote:
In my opinion, $250 would be a real bargain for a nice, clear, durable polyurethane finish on your stock. That is what is on my Browning XT that is about 13 years old and it still looks almost like new except for one small ding on the forend where I had a brain f@rt one day. :) And my XT is not a safe queen.

Sounds great to me Ulysses. I assume regular care involves almost nothing? Wipe clean and done?

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Correct. Maintenance involves almost nothing. In fact, about 99% of the time, it IS nothing. The artificial "fleece" that lines the case that I carry the gun in to and from the range does all the cleaning/wiping that needs to be done. I NEVER have to do any "restoring" or "refinishing" or anything like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:12 pm 
Limited Edition

Shot 55 rounds on last Thursday's opening week of the Winter 5-Stand league. Shot under the lights, except the lights on stations 4 and 5 are pretty dim such that I can hardly see my barrel at all. Missed some very easy shots because I didn't know where it was pointing. Might have to switch to weekend day shooting.

Shot 125 rounds in the first local registered NSCA event of the 2017 season. Fairly challenging course, but fair and one that required concentration on every shot. Not hard to hit but easy to miss.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 6285.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:58 pm 
Limited Edition

Shot 85 rounds on week #2 of the Winter 5-Stand league. Shot under the lights, but earlier than last week, so seeing my gun in the periphery was not an issue. And hopefully, the days are growing longer . . . come on Spring.

On another note, I took my CG to a guy to have the stock and fore-end refinished in a hard automotive urethane - same guy that finished a shooting buddy's stock that looks awesome. I love a nice oil-finished stock with beautiful wood, like my Fabarm XLR5, but I could never get and keep the CG wood looking like I wanted. It'll take about 2 weeks, so my Fabarm will get some exercising in the interim.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 6370.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:58 pm 
Limited Edition

Got my CG Summit Ltd. back from the stock finish guy, and the urethane finish looks great. The actual appearance of the grain and color are pretty much identical, but the gloss is excellent and consistent and nicely deep. The checkering is still oil finish (he masked it off), but the rest is glossy urethane.

Shot pretty well today at a local NSCA tournament, but missed just enough of targets I previously hit to miss on punches by a bird. The gun felt great. I missed her these past three weeks.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 6500.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:20 pm 
Limited Edition

Shot at a local NSCA tournament Saturday - 155 more rounds. Boy was it cold. While shooting, the temp was in the low 30's but the wind was 20-25 MPH and gusting to over 35. I was shooting fairly well for conditions and a moderately tough course, but fell apart a bit on the last 4 stations, missing easy birds because of me, not the weather. I might have gotten a bit cold and lost some reaction time. Somehow, I managed a punch in the main 100 bird event, but my fairly good 5-stand score was bested by one bird for top spot in my class.

I have a weakness for teals and other shots that go very high, stall, then fall. You'd think hitting a relatively stationary target would be easier, but not for me. I also felt something in Saturday's wind I have never noticed before. I have never had the wind blow my gun around while I was trying to shoot. Crazy! One disadvantage of the high-rib is strong winds. It acted like a sail.

Got a few compliments on the new finish. It looks great and I love not having to try and make it look OK.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 6655.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:41 am 
Limited Edition

Went to my local club for some practice Sunday. It was a beautiful sunny day, albeit a bit crisp still. Shot a couple rounds of 5-stand and the first 4 stations of the Ridge course with IC/IC chokes, like I do 99% of the time in the Summit Ltd., then switch to LM/M. I have a second LM on order from CG so I can see how things feel shooting LM/LM. I don't like to have two different chokes in the gun. I like to keep it simple.

Finished out my day of practice on stations #5-14 with the LM/M combo, and was pretty happy. Except for station #11, which I gave up on after 6 shots. Station #7 D was also a tough nut, but not impossible like 11.

Went home and cleaned the gun, as I do nearly every time I shoot her. While removing by hand the LM choke to clean it, I had a hard time turning it. I always install the chokes by hand and remove them by hand. I have never used the nifty CG-supplied choke wrench/thread chaser tool . . . until yesterday. When the LM was finally out, I saw the reason for it's stubbornness. It has a split in it from the exit end straight down the side about 3/4 of the length. I may have used the LM once before, but I'm not sure. It was nearly brand new. I've got a call into CG to see what they will do. It shouldn't split like that. I'll keep the forum posted.

175 rounds thru the CG Summit Ltd.

Total shot count for the Summit Limited = 6830.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the update. No, the choke shouldn't split like that. I expect that CG will replace it. Hopefully, no damage was done to your gun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:14 pm 
Limited Edition

Ulysses wrote:
Thanks for the update. No, the choke shouldn't split like that. I expect that CG will replace it. Hopefully, no damage was done to your gun.

Spoke with Aaron at CG yesterday. He had never heard of a split choke as I described. He said they will certainly stand by any repair and/or replacement for the life of the gun, but they need to see the gun first and assure themselves nothing is amiss - specifically with the barrels - that might have led to this issue.

I don't honestly think anything is wrong, but to be safe, I guess I'll send it in. I'm not keen on shipping it there and back and waiting, but I guess I have no real choice.

Fabarm XLR5 LR
CZ Sporter Stnd Grade

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next