It is currently Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crooked Chamber on Top Barrel?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:17 am 
Utility Grade

Hey all,

Long time reader here / first post. I have owned a summit limited (12ga, 32", adjustable stock) for about two years. Love the gun. Pretty much fit me great out of the box. I have never patterned it (horrible I know) but recently I started wanting to get more serious about shooting and I bought a bore laser sighter to use for mounting practice. When I popped it in I noticed the laser hits to the left right next to the beads when they are lined up. I thought it was prob just the laser so I tried spinning the laser to no change. Swapped down to the bottom barrel and it's dead on. Just to be safe I tried it in my wife's Syren and a TriStar I have. Both are dead on. I even placed a piece of paper over the muzzle to see how off center it is exiting and it's pretty dang far to the side of the muzzle.

So what gives here? Is the chamber crooked or am I stressing over nothing? How would this affect accuracy in relation to my bottom barrel? It's only slightly when mounting at home (edge of the laser dot touches edge of front bead) but I can imagine this is much worse at 40 yards.

Left a message with the gun shop at cg and will most likely be sending it in after Christmas for a pit stop and have this checked out. Also will be patterning soon to see how that looks.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Post subject: Re: Crooked Chamber on Top Barrel?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:40 am 
Crown Grade

Interesting. Without knowing anything about the laser device, I would suggest you proceed to the pattern board and check for variances at the target. After all, that's where it really counts.

If there is indeed a problem, Caesar Guerini Customer Service should be notified.

Best of luck to you.

NRA Patron Life Member
TSRA Life Member
ATA Member
USPSA Member (TY-12055)
NSCA Member

Dave Brown

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:58 am 
Tournament Grade

A laser won't give you a pattern. If it's new return it and get your money back. As D Brown said go to the patterning board with your desired choke and loads and see what you get. I also have a CG Summit Sporting, 32" bbls, adjustable comb.

A little history on why I went to the board. I was shooting skeet at the time and was consistently missing high 5 and sometimes six. I changed my lead and hold points and sometimes I would break and sometimes not. Everyone behind you tells you what you're doing wrong. It only took me about 6 weeks to go to the board and identify and solve my problem.

I don't recall the distance I patterned at 17-20 yards I think, but here's how I did it.
Took a 3-4" dot in center of the board, this was paper patterning board set behind a steel plate with a 48" circle cut out and paper behind. Took dead aim and placed three shots then walked up and looked at the pattern, it was good, center mass about 60/40. You'll know if you flinch.

I then changed the paper and instinct shot the same center mass and found that I shot quite a bit high and to the left. I adjusted my comb until instinctively I was shoot about 60/40 center mass. It was that easy, it was fun and extremely educational.

I've never had to readjust in about 16 months and probably have about 8K rounds through the gun. Knowing your gun shoots where you point it will do more for your self confidence and score than anything I can think of. Once you do this shoot a 500-1000 rounds spend some $$ and get some professional instruction. You'll start dusting targets.
Happy Holidays,

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:32 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the responses guys,

I spoke with CG yesterday and they are awesome people to deal with. The gunsmith basically said that they have tried using bore lasers on multiple occasions and can get them to do wonky things in the straightest barrels so they test straightness on patterning (go figure). He basically said while the chances of something like this happening and getting through quality control are slim to none that the best course of action is to pattern it and send it and if I see a problem and they will pattern it as well and if there is an issue they will fit a new set of barrels under warranty. Cant ask for more than that.

Unfortunately my time is occupied visiting family this weekend so next weekend I'll sneak out to get some patterning done at my family's place. I do have a muzzle laser that I use to get my rifle scopes on paper so I popped that in the end of each muzzle and each was dead on and when I threw the bore laser in the bottom barrel again I noticed it was now shifted to the right so at this point I am thinking its something to do with how the bore laser sits on the ejectors considering they oppose each other and the laser swapped sides between top and bottom. In short my slight ocd has most likely gotten the best of me :? and I am really impressed how cg handled my inquiry because Im sure that would be easy to dismiss.

Texas Yankee you make a good point on the confidence of knowing where its shoots.

Thanks again guys!