Shotgun Forum banner

CG barrel weights and Kinetic Balancer

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  domboost 
#1 ·
Ok, I've searched a good bit and acknowledging my internet powers are weak at best, I figured I'd toss the question out again here since most threads were 2014 or older.

I have a 32" Summit Sporting I love and shoot it well if I do my part. As I'm coming up on my year mark with it, the only thing I would say I would like to have is a bit more weight to the gun in general. It balances well so I don't want to piss around with that too much, and I am NOT recoil sensitive, so that isn't the issue. It's more that I tend to get a bit "whippy" with the gun at times and my feeling is it's just a tad on the light side.

I have seen CG barrel weights as well as CG's kinetic balancer for the stock online and read a bit about them. What I want to know is what those who actually use/have used them think. Some negatives I've heard on earlier models were; they hand a "twang" to the balancer if not installed properly, and some older barrel weights would fall off at times with hotter loads.

I'm not looking to alter the balance of the gun just add a bit of weight to slow my swing/follow thru down a bit so I would appreciate any input on these products, or alternatives you all might have.

I'm sure I left out some obvious points in this little novel so thanks for reading.

Ryan

See less See more
#2 ·
I have an Ascent Challenger 30" with tube set. I have the kenetic balancer installed in my stock with all 3 weights on the shaft. You can use it with 1,2, or all 3 weights on the balancer. When my tubes are not in I put my barrel weights on towards the muzzle end of my barrel and it feels like my tubes are in. Same feel. If I move the barrel weights half way or close to the forend I can speed up my swing. I think it's a great system. Very adjustable. Oh and I hear no movement of the balancer and my weights never fall out.

#3 ·
2500 HD said:
I have an Ascent Challenger 30" with tube set. I have the kenetic balancer installed in my stock with all 3 weights on the shaft. You can use it with 1,2, or all 3 weights on the balancer. When my tubes are not in I put my barrel weights on towards the muzzle end of my barrel and it feels like my tubes are in. Same feel. If I move the barrel weights half way or close to the forend I can speed up my swing. I think it's a great system. Very adjustable. Oh and I hear no movement of the balancer and my weights never fall out.
Great first hand info. Thank you for your reply!

#4 ·
Great thread ... here's what I did: I started with Summit Sporting in 12, 20 and 28. Then I bought a gently used Summit Ascent in 12/32. I love all the G-guns, especially the Ascent. It is about a pound heavier than the regular Summit Sporting. Mine weighs in at 8-14. I added a Jones plate to give me a bit more toe-out and it fits like a glove and shoots like a dream. Then ... My wife bought me a Krieghoff Gold Super Scroll K-80 Sporting for our anniversary. It weighs in at 8-15 and I had it fit at Clay Target Sports. Now THAT IS A SHOTGUN. Enjoy ... your experience may vary.

#5 ·
I did a lot of research on my set up and wouldn't change a thing. If was only using the gun for 12 ga I would of bought a 32" model, but I was afraid the tube set would of been barrel heavy. My 30" gun balances great.
Another way to add weight to the butt stock is with brass rods taped together in the stock bolt hole. I have a spare set of barrel weights that I do not want to sell but I would let you try them for a couple weeks to see if they work for you. I have the brass rods too. Pm me if you would like to try them

#6 ·
2500 HD said:
I did a lot of research on my set up and wouldn't change a thing. If was only using the gun for 12 ga I would of bought a 32" model, but I was afraid the tube set would of been barrel heavy. My 30" gun balances great.
Another way to add weight to the butt stock is with brass rods taped together in the stock bolt hole. I have a spare set of barrel weights that I do not want to sell but I would let you try them for a couple weeks to see if they work for you. I have the brass rods too. Pm me if you would like to try them
Great info and a kind offer. I found a nice fella with the barrel weights and balancer F/s used and I'm considering it. I'd like a little more weight to the gun and this appears to be a good way to do it. {hs#

Diddle said:
Great thread ... here's what I did: I started with Summit Sporting in 12, 20 and 28. Then I bought a gently used Summit Ascent in 12/32. I love all the G-guns, especially the Ascent. It is about a pound heavier than the regular Summit Sporting. Mine weighs in at 8-14. I added a Jones plate to give me a bit more toe-out and it fits like a glove and shoots like a dream. Then ... My wife bought me a Krieghoff Gold Super Scroll K-80 Sporting for our anniversary. It weighs in at 8-15 and I had it fit at Clay Target Sports. Now THAT IS A SHOTGUN. Enjoy ... your experience may vary.
I need your wife to talk with my wife prior to our next anniversary. Congrats to you Sir, I've shot several Krieghoffs and they are quite amazing.

#7 ·
I am happy with the Kinetic Balancer in my Impact Summit and would use the barrel weights on the 12 gauge if I ever first used the tubes and checked the balance. So far I have never used any of the tubes that I got from CG with the set.

Bob

#8 ·
I have a summit ascent in 30" barrels. A year after purchase, I added a full set of Briley Ultralight tubes. Since I shoot it almost exclusively for skeet (rare trap and SC outings) a tubeset is almost always in. Therefore, I have all 3 DTS balancer weights in the stock - which balance the tubes out great. Then I added the heaviest barrel weights to offset the removal of the Briley tubes when shooting trap or sporting clays - I insert them one position away from the end of the barrel and the gun winds up balancing right over the hinge again - close enough to no DTS weights and no barrel weights (as sold). I hope my story helps someone. The barrel weights are overpriced for what they are - but I didn't mind a little brand loyalty in this case after lots of direct contact with Andrew (head gunsmith) on many questions and musings about my gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.