It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: March Clay Target Nation
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have not been wildly enthusiastic about the magazine. I just looked at the March issue and I think it is pretty darn good.

Post subject: Re: March Clay Target Nation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:26 pm 
Utility Grade

I agree! Excellent issue this month.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:53 am 
Crown Grade

They don't burn good in my trash barrel..... 8) :wink:

On a good day they are pathetic compared to the old SSR which was no icon of the magazine world....

The words of my late best friend, Eye Missum.......I miss him at every skeet shoot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:24 pm 
Crown Grade

I originally was willing to give it a try before I would comment on the idea of a combined skeet/sporting clays magazine. I have and I will. I am not impressed. In fact, I no longer look forward to getting my magazine. Too bad.

(Warning: To those that read my posts.)
I don't shoot registered targets so what could I possibly know or have to offer?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:05 am 
Presentation Grade

Anyone who thinks the new CTN isn't a better magazine than the old SSR is looking at it with jaded eyes. Better quality, more articles and getting better every month. I understand the "old" skeeters (and I'm one of them) not liking to share with sporting clays, but the new magazine is clearly a better publication. The NSSA is trying to remedy all valid complaints with things like a separate mailed out Scoreboard. Some people just like to bitch :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:50 am 
Crown Grade

And some like to think they are experts in all matters.

I don't shoot registered targets so what could I possibly know or have to offer?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm new to the shotgun sports. I really enjoy reading the articles, especially the ones by John Shima. They help increase my understanding of how to watch the clay break. I look forward to each new issue and I literally read them cover to cover.
Change is difficult. Some folks really don't like change, but it is the one constant in life.

Texas Parks and Wildlife Hunter Education Instructor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:45 am 
Crown Grade

Jim Miller wrote:
I originally was willing to give it a try before I would comment on the idea of a combined skeet/sporting clays magazine. I have and I will. I am not impressed. In fact, I no longer look forward to my magazine. Too bad.

{hs#

These days I shoot more sporting (non-registered) than I do skeet, but I still don't look forward my magazine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:47 am 
Crown Grade

al magyar wrote:
The NSSA is trying to remedy all valid complaints.... Some people just like to bitch :D

What is the difference between "valid complaints" and "bitching"?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:19 am 
Crown Grade

ShowMe wrote:
al magyar wrote:
The NSSA is trying to remedy all valid complaints.... Some people just like to bitch :D

What is the difference between "valid complaints" and "bitching"?

Marriage usually gives you a guided baseline for identifying which one is which.

I like the new magazine, I wasn't stoked about it before, but after reading it, I see no reason to discredit the publication. I used to like seeing the results by state for sporting clays, but I can live without.

I like the direction and I think it's a nice balance of 50/50 being sporting and skeet. Change is hard, but like others said, it's a fact of life, and I'll echo some people just want to be heard.

If you don't like the magazine, you could always start your own, this is a free enterprise country.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

al magyar wrote:
Some people just like to bitch :D
Al - say it isn't so! :D

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

al magyar wrote:
Anyone who thinks the new CTN isn't a better magazine than the old SSR is looking at it with jaded eyes. Better quality, more articles and getting better every month. I understand the "old" skeeters (and I'm one of them) not liking to share with sporting clays, but the new magazine is clearly a better publication. The NSSA is trying to remedy all valid complaints with things like a separate mailed out Scoreboard. Some people just like to bitch :D

Well, Al, I think it all depends on your definition of "better." You may be correct that the new Clay Target Nation is a "better" magazine, technically; better paper, better photo quality, etc. And, you can claim that I "just like to bitch," but the "better" magazine just goes into the recycle bin at my house because it holds little interest for me anymore.

There are two reasons for my diminished interest. First, it no longer carries shoot results and that was a major area of interest for me. I could see how friends around the country were doing. Having those results online is just not the same, sorry.

Second, I have no interest in the sporting clays discipline. I am sure it is a great aspect of clay target shooting, but there are no SC courses in my area. So, having to find my way through articles on SC to find the relatively few skeet articles of interest is tedious. If the layout was such that SC articles were in one half of the publication and skeet in the other, it would...at least...help.

So, you can just be dismissive of criticisms of the magazine and accuse those who disagree with you by saying "Some people just like to bitch." Or you could put your feet in a different pair of moccasins for a moment and try to understand the concerns of those with a different perspective. There may be ways to make CTN a better publication for all members, but that won't happen if you persist in dismissing the concerns of a significant portion of the NSSA/NSCA membership.

Romans 8:1

Last edited by OldSkeeter on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Well said, Oldskeeter. Al's response was terribly disappointing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:57 pm 
Crown Grade

OldSkeeter wrote:

Well, Al, I think it all depends on your definition of "better." You may be correct that the new Clay Target Nation is a "better" magazine, technically; better paper, better photo quality, etc. And, you can claim that I "just like to bitch," but the "better" magazine just goes into the recycle bin at my house because it holds little interest for me anymore.

There are two reasons for my diminished interest. First, it no longer carries shoot results and that was a major area of interest for me. I could see how friends around the country were doing. Having those results online is just not the same, sorry.

I agree with the Old Skeeter. This is the feature most "new shooters" look for first in the magazine, "Is my name in it this month?" Or anyone else they might know. It can be very motivating, thinking a good performance might get your name in print!

You guys remember "New Shooters" right? Those are the ones the NSSA keeps SAYING they want to attract. But I keep seeing less and less evidence of that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:45 pm 
Crown Grade

John Henry wrote:
OldSkeeter wrote:

I agree with the Old Skeeter. This is the feature most "new shooters" look for first in the magazine, "Is my name in it this month?" Or anyone else they might know. It can be very motivating, thinking a good performance might get your name in print!

{hs#

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:39 am 
Diamond Grade

For what it’s worth (probably not much), I like the ‘new’ magazine. With the banner at the top of every article page, I find it very simple to determine if the article is NSSA or NSCA related and can skip the ones of no interest. Was the removal of the shoot results and the upcoming shoots a poor decision? Probably! If polled, the vast majority of complaints would show these two items at the very top of the complaint list. But for me, I get them in my email inbox on a regular basis and find it easier to find a person of interest by using the FIND function on my PC. For many of the older membership, computers aren’t their forte and they have lost a valuable (to them) source of information. Management should take another look at this one area and seriously consider putting it back in the magazine.

There are avenues open to the membership to voice your displeasure with things you disagree with – and chat forums aren’t the best choice. Talk to your states directors and let them know your concerns. Ask them to poll other state members for a consensus and pass the results forward to the EC. Encourage your other state members to do the same. To use Al’s term, ‘bitching’ on a chat forum doesn’t really accomplish much accept to make you feel a little better by getting off your chest.

If enough Association Members voice their displeasure to their state representatives and/or members of the EC, then some positive changes may just come about. Use the official channels open to you within the Association to voice your concerns (SW isn’t one of those).

Have a great season and remember to shoot more and to shoot more often.
{hs#

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:53 am 
Crown Grade

Lets hope the "official channels" aren't clogged with the negative attitude that Al displayed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:32 am 
Diamond Grade

Jim Miller wrote:
Lets hope the "official channels" aren't clogged with the negative attitude that Al displayed.
I like to think they are not. And as for Al, I've always found him approachable and willing to listen to my thoughts on any issue when talking to him face-to-face. He may not have always agreed with my position, but he was always willing to listen to it. Chat forum posts are a very poor medium to determine a persons demeanor or attitude IMHO. You can't see body language and facial expressions and you can't hear tonal inflections to truly measure a persons meaning or intent with a single, given comment.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:18 pm 
Crown Grade

I agree. I found Al's remark totally out of character for him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

OldSkeeter wrote:
...but there are no SC courses in my area.

I thought SST was pretty close to you? Granite Falls and Seattle Skeet and Trap are the two most common sporting clay courses in the Seattle area. I drive from Lake Stevens to Renton (where you shoot) to shoot skeet. I tell you what, I know Granite Falls is a bit of a drive for you but if your willing to make the drive, I will pay for 100 birds on our course. No strings attached. Bring JohnL or Jack with you too (except their paying their own way {hs# )