It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: NSSA/NSCA vs. Bexar County - Politics?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:45 am 
Crown Grade

Stumper

For a guy with only 133 posts, that was a good one...... :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:48 am 
Diamond Grade

wasthestumper wrote:
That was a really long winded post in an already too-long thread, but the moral of the story is that there is always another side, and it's probably a side you don't understand. Unless you make an effort to get involved, plan on being surprised from time to time.
I've been a member of my club since 1977 and state association since 1985. I've held every board position available multiple times in both - I'm involved. I agree that most folks don't care and choose to not get involved. BUT - when questions are asked, truthful answers should be given. As I see it, that isn't happening in this tax issue with NSSA. Why is that?

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:51 am 
Diamond Grade

hawkeye55 wrote:
The NSSA does not lack transparency for not telling me it (the sun) would come up.
But they do on the tax issue. {hs#

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:54 am 
Limited Edition

Stumper, I hear you but disagree. I resigned as the secretary of one club when the leadership did something I considered unethical and did not want it in the minutes. Up to that time, I had recorded every action in minutes. That documentation prevented several problems as time passed and provided a true record for future board members.

We were later forced to accept part-time paid accountant and manager positions. That manager had been the president or vice president when I was the secretary. He was fired and tarnished his reputation over something that would have been ok if it had been approved in public/writing and documented in board minutes.

With regard to government agencies. Two clubs I've belonged to had big problems with their FFL paperwork. BATF worked with both clubs to identify the exact issues and accepted a long-term plan for corrective action.

I've been volunteering since the early 80s and agree there are too few volunteers. I have problems problems with leaders/volunteers who become takers ("the club owes me...") and talk down members. I've always made it a policy to never accept anything beyond what is available to any club member (hopefully documented) and to never complain about members who pay their money and just enjoy the benefits of membership.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Not sure where we disagree. We keep everything above board and make information available to members. We don't withhold anything, but we do make difficult decisions - sometimes under duress - and sometimes those decisions piss some people off. Again - anyone is free to show up and witness the process. Just because it's controversial or unpopular doesn't mean it's unethical, or that it was the wrong thing to do. At some point it comes down to trust. No one on our board gets paid anything, and there are no privileges to partake in. No one get's talked down - we encourage conversation but typically get too few willing to converse. That being said, I'm not going to have a lot of patience for the guy that shows up once a year, complains about everything, yet nobody has seen him anywhere on the property or who he is. We cancle about a quarter of a monthly meetings because we don't have a quorum - apparently some people can't be bothered 11 months out of the year. I don't feel like anyone owes "that guy" any explanations.

In my experience, the BATF is one of the more reasonable agencies to deal with. The EPA and DEP are the ones we worry about. The fewer of those guys we have running around the property, the better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:50 pm 
Field Grade

I wonder if anyone at the BoD meeting held during the Mini-World shoot will pose the tax question from this thread ? Any takers ?

Spader

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7