It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shooting reloads voiding the warrenty
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Since purchasing my Summit Limited ( along time ago) I have religiously shot ONLy Factory ammo.
I am also planning to continue that way as CGstated shooting reloads would void the warranty and am not about to risk losing the "lifetime warranty". Just and have been wondering the reason behind that as some factory loads can be pretty questionable. Just wondering just saying.

Post subject: Re: Shooting reloads voiding the warrenty
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:57 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

What is your question?

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Reloads voiding a warranty doesn't surprise me, from a technical standpoint. Commercially loaded ammo is held carefully to industrial standards. Home made ammo COULD be all over the road, pressure wise.

NRA Life/Endowment Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

But if the failure was an obvious manufacturing defect, I'm pretty sure the warranty would be honored. For example, the safety no longer working correctly or the gun doubling when you shoot and there's no sign whatsoever of damage caused by faulty ammo.
Some gun makers don't even have a written warranty yet their service department will gladly fix a faulty gun without charge, even if you aren't the original owner, Ruger for example.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

For now, you are ok. Current federal law says that it would not "void" the warranty unless it is proved that the reload caused the problem. However this is probably one of the many burdensome federal laws and regulations that our new president wants to do away with.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Look at any manufacturers website, standard is to deny warranty for shooters using reloads, its not just CG and frankly after hearing and seeing what some shooters/reloaders shoot I can't blame them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:53 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

As far as CG USA, for starters it is a good idea to actually read the warranty. Shooting reloads does not void the warranty.

https://gueriniusa.com/lifetime-warranty/

The relevant portion is as follows:

Quote:
THE DISTRIBUTOR ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR FIREARM MALFUNCTION OR FOR PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE OR DEATH RESULTING IN WHOLE OR IN PART FROM CRIMINAL OR NEGLIGENT USE OF THE FIREARM, IMPROPER OR CARELESS HANDLING, FAILURE TO PERFORM PRESCRIBED MAINTENANCE AS SET FORTH IN THE USER AND MAINTENANCE MANUAL ATTACHED TO YOUR FIREARM AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE, UNAUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS, USE OF DEFECTIVE, IMPROPER HAND LOADED, RELOADED OR REMANUFACTURED AMMUNITION, CUSTOMER ABUSE OR NEGLECT OF THE PRODUCT OR OTHER INFLUENCES BEYOND THE DISTRIBUTOR’S DIRECT AND IMMEDIATE CONTROL.

You use defective ammo: CG isn't responsible. It is common sense, for they cannot control what you put into your shotgun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
As far as CG USA, for starters it is a good idea to actually read the warranty. Shooting reloads does not void the warranty.

https://gueriniusa.com/lifetime-warranty/

The relevant portion is as follows:

Quote:
THE DISTRIBUTOR ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR FIREARM MALFUNCTION OR FOR PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE OR DEATH RESULTING IN WHOLE OR IN PART FROM CRIMINAL OR NEGLIGENT USE OF THE FIREARM, IMPROPER OR CARELESS HANDLING, FAILURE TO PERFORM PRESCRIBED MAINTENANCE AS SET FORTH IN THE USER AND MAINTENANCE MANUAL ATTACHED TO YOUR FIREARM AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE, UNAUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS, USE OF DEFECTIVE, IMPROPER HAND LOADED, RELOADED OR REMANUFACTURED AMMUNITION, CUSTOMER ABUSE OR NEGLECT OF THE PRODUCT OR OTHER INFLUENCES BEYOND THE DISTRIBUTOR’S DIRECT AND IMMEDIATE CONTROL.

You use defective ammo: CG isn't responsible. It is common sense, for they cannot control what you put into your shotgun.

Sorry Randy, but I have to disagree.

I was taught that when the "legaleze" is trying to cover all of the potential bases, in order to see what actually applies to a given situation you need to 'delete' all of the extraneous BS and only look at what the specifics have to say. If we do that in this case, it would read as follows..

Quote:
THE DISTRIBUTOR ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR FIREARM MALFUNCTION... ...RESULTING IN WHOLE OR IN PART FROM USE OF... ...RELOADED OR REMANUFACTURED AMMUNITION.

In my book that looks like if you use reloads, and CG were to know that, they're not going to assume any responsibility, as in they're not going to fix it under warranty. aka - a voided warranty.
YMMV

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:47 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
In my book that looks like if you use reloads, and CG were to know that, they're not going to assume any responsibility, as in they're not going to fix it under warranty. aka - a voided warranty.
YMMV

Absolutely not true.

All anyone has to do is just call CG.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
Quote:
THE DISTRIBUTOR ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR FIREARM MALFUNCTION... ...RESULTING IN WHOLE OR IN PART FROM USE OF... ...RELOADED OR REMANUFACTURED AMMUNITION.

YMMV

It looks to me that if the malfunction was not caused by defective ammo, the warranty is honored, even if reloaded ammo was used. There's more to gun malfunctions than barrels blowing up. Triggers can quit working, safeties can malfunction, firing pins can break...........you know, nuisance stuff that takes your gun out of action in the middle of a trap or skeet tournament.
Imagine if a car dealer refused to honor the warranty on your car's electric windows because he found out you didn't change the oil often enough.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
YMMV

Absolutely not true.

All anyone has to do is just call CG.

Guys, I'm just the "messenger" talking about what the specific language says! But I didn't phrase that very well so allow me a do-over...

If you have a problem (malfunction) and use reloads, and CG were to know that and determined that the malfunction was due "..IN PART OR IN WHOLE.." to the use of the reloads, then they would be within their rights under their warranty to not assume any responsibility for said malfunction. The same would be true if they determined that a malfunction was due to "defective ammo" or "careless or improper handling" or .... any of the specific reasons they list.

I'm not saying that using reloads automatically voids the warranty. That's not what it says. And given the number of CG's putting tons of reloaded lead down range, and their reputation for taking care of their customers, I'd be surprised if it's ever come up as a reason to not take care of something under warranty. But their attorneys did a pretty good job of writing a short, sweet, CYA warranty.
:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:26 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
I'm not saying that using reloads automatically voids the warranty. That's not what it says.

It is what the poster that started this thread is stating, however.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just curious, has any owner who has sent a gun into CG for repair ever even had them ask if the owner was shooting reloads? If so, speak up. I've sent my 20 gauge in to have sub gauge barrels fitted and had guns in for a pit stop and I've never been asked what ammo I shoot. MAJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:34 am 
Diamond Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
Just curious, has any owner who has sent a gun into CG for repair ever even had them ask if the owner was shooting reloads? If so, speak up. I've sent my 20 gauge in to have sub gauge barrels fitted and had guns in for a pit stop and I've never been asked what ammo I shoot. MAJ

That's a question they would likely only ask if the damage to the gun was obviously caused by faulty ammo. Ruptured barrel or bulged barrel due to a squib load leaving a wad lodged in the barrel.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

B.L.E. wrote:
MAJENKINS wrote:

That's a question they would likely only ask if the damage to the gun was obviously caused by faulty ammo. Ruptured barrel or bulged barrel due to a squib load leaving a wad lodged in the barrel.

Yep, what I figured. MAJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:02 am 
Diamond Grade

marsingbob wrote:
For now, you are ok. Current federal law says that it would not "void" the warranty unless it is proved that the reload caused the problem. However this is probably one of the many burdensome federal laws and regulations that our new president wants to do away with.
:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:04 am 
Diamond Grade

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
I was taught that when the "legaleze" is trying to cover all of the potential bases, in order to see what actually applies to a given situation you need to 'delete' all of the extraneous BS and only look at what the specifics have to say. If we do that in this case, it would read as follows..

Quote:

YMMV
Would you be an attorney by any chance?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:23 pm 
Field Grade

Unless you "rat" yourself out(which people have been known to do)or the hull is stuck in the gun tell me how CG knows it was a reload that did the damage? Or prove it for that matter.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Follow the money, With factory ammo there are deeper pockets to get into

NSCA Level II Instructor
CSM/TRACS Certified Instructor
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School