It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New XLR5 FR Owner
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Last night I went and put my deposit down on an XLR5 FR 30". My first clays gun, I have been shooting my Browning Silver Hunter and getting more serious about sporting clays.

I shot demo'd an XLR5 LR but choose the FR. Any tips current owners can give would be appreciated. Keeping it clean is no problem as I don't mind spending a 1/2 hour cleaning my gun even after shooting a few shells.

The whole Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance of being involved with your machine and its inner workings and finding peace while working on it concept.

Post subject: Re: New XLR5 FR Owner
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:02 pm 
Field Grade

enjoy the new gun!

NRA Member
Georgia Carry Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:38 pm 
Limited Edition

Oil it lightly! Its the only gun I've ever owned that likes to be dry.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:31 am 
Tournament Grade

DS Cowboy
Is it true that shooting a XLR5 will make your knee hurt?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:20 am 
Limited Edition

:lol: No but it did seem that way I guess! Happened about the same time I got it! I'm well on the way to recovery though. It did keep me from dumpster diving for those beautiful once fired gun clubs this weekend but I'll get 'em next time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:31 am 
Tournament Grade

Best wishes for a speedy recovery with no permanent damage!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

I use Slip2000 oil. Very thin oil. a couple of drops on magazine tube, rials, trigger group parts, and bolt parts.
When taking apart do not pull bolt back, and same when inserting barrel. I took me awhile to break this habit of pulling bolt back. Make sure you brace the end of the barrel it takes some force. I use the foam on the inside of the case. Other wise the piston will fly of the magazine tube.
One other advice when laying down with bolt back warn those who want to pick up. A friend did this and pushed down and released the bolt. You will find this out for yourself. Lol. 10Tenner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:47 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the advice all who responded. The gun doesn't hurt my knee but the metal plate in my cheek (not kidding) rings when I shoot it (joking).

Keeping it dry and very lightly lubed in the right spots, read and watched a bunch of videos before buying the gun. I raced motorcycles for 23 years and gun maintenance is nothing compared to tearing suspension or engine down. Another great thing, you never have crash damage in this sport.

The barrel is a bit of pain getting out but overall cleaning this mechanism is very easy. I have cut the stock down for a slightly smaller LOP , added a kick eez pad and customized the shims a bit for a great fit. I have about 1100 rounds through it and shooting great. I am finding the o'ring on the barrel in front of the gas ports wears easily from taking the barrel on/off. Going to keep a few in my shooting bag and just change them every 10 or so cleanings. I made a little cradle to hold the receiver with a relief for the release button so it doesn't get hit while cleaning.

The gun just feels great in my hands and love to shoot it.

Which choke tube do most of you run the 2 or 5? Have been shooting the 2 but gonna try the 5 for the longer shots. I am a put in the choke and forget it once I find the right one for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:11 am 
Crown Grade

I recommend finding a choke for close shots (20 yds and less), one for most shots (20 - 45 yds) and one for far shots (> 45 yds). The 20 - 45 yd choke will live in the gun about 85 - 90% of the time.

For me that would be cylinder, modified, improved modified. I don't know how that translates to Fabarm choke numbers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:29 am 
Presentation Grade

I had to buy a #1 and a #4. A #4 is lt mod., will break as far as you want. #1 I use for skeet and close 20yd and under sporting. Fabarm must have decide to add the 1 and 4 for custermer demand. Go to Fabarm web site to purchase. 10Tenner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have the FR model and shoot it regularly on clays. You might consider coating the outside of the barrel extension with gun grease. The grease will not only allow for an easier barrel removal but also act as a cushion between the extension and receiver surfaces.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:41 pm 
Utility Grade

I'll try the gun grease on the barrel extension. Any preferred brand, weight or type of grease you would recommend?

I saw Fabarm now offers a #4 choke tube and will be ordering one of those soon. Clays 35 yards out or further I either crush or miss completely so I think the #3 gets to spread out at those distances.

On my browning I shoot a modified and my close in hit rate doesn't suffer but my hit rate on the clays further out gets better. If I was going to compete I would change tubes depending on the presentation but not for just casual shooting.

Once again, thanks to all who responded.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I mix good old cup grease 50/50 with a thin oil and stuff it in a plastic syringe. Regular grease is a little thick and I find this mix is good for choke threads and barrel extensions. My experience with the Fabarm chokes suggests they shoot very tight and have great success with their #1 skeet choke out to 40 yards...go figure. Here's a case for pattering your shotgun!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I have been adding a very light application of lithium grease to the barrel extension and it has made a world of difference in barrel removal.

Thanks for the tip.